Facial hair

Rushian King

I'm talking about on men of course. wink.gif

What do Rush women like? Clean shaven, a soul patch, just a goatee, just a moustache, both (I believe called a Van Dyke), a full beard, sideburns? All 3 Rush guys have had, or have, facial hair correct?

I've had a beard before sans 'stache, like Abe Lincoln, but the people I work with had never seen me with one. I started growing a beard just before Christmas , including a moustache for the first time in my life.

At first people weren't too impressed with it, but once it started filling in they thought it suited me. Of course I don't really trim it so it's getting bushy, although I do occasionally shave the neck. They no longer think it looks so good. Of course I think they're wrong.

I'd think some of the older women who were around in the 60s and 70s would be more accepting of full beards, the ones from the 80s probably prefer clean shaven, and the youngest ones have mixed tastes.

On a related note, I used to have long hair as well (no facial hair) but cut that off last summer. 14 inches to a wigs-for-cancer charity. Does the amount of hair on a guy's head affect how much hair you're willing to accept on his face?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an "Older Woman", I do indeed loooooooooove facial hair . . . especially when added to long hair!!!!! But the taste for hair is not relegated to us old hippies! I have friends representing every decade who rock the hairy look . . . including my teenage students and my grandsons!

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z147/HenHaven/Garden%20Grady/DSC00299.jpg

This is a picture of my fella, Tortoise, and me in New York serving as bookends for our beloved Necro!!! Long haired, ALL , . . . the guys sporting their facial hair!!! Tortoise dyes his goatee to match my red stuff. I LOVE IT!!! T's had the full beard, also, in past years.

I'm not sure if head hair preference correlates to facial hair preference. I suppose I like extremes . . . long hair or no hair WITH facial hair. wub.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

Id feel naked without my facial hair, its bad enough i had to trade in my long hair for a phoney conservitive appearance. Those who know tick however know better. firedevil.gif

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Mar 8 2008, 04:10 PM)
I'm talking about on men of course.  wink.gif

What do Rush women like? Clean shaven, a soul patch, just a goatee, just a moustache, both (I believe called a Van Dyke), a full beard, sideburns? All 3 Rush guys have had, or have, facial hair correct?

I've had a beard before sans 'stache, like Abe Lincoln, but the people I work with had never seen me with one. I started growing a beard just before Christmas , including a moustache for the first time in my life.

At first people weren't too impressed with it, but once it started filling in they thought it suited me. Of course I don't really trim it so it's getting bushy, although I do occasionally shave the neck. They no longer think it looks so good. Of course I think they're wrong.

I'd think some of the older women who were around in the 60s and 70s would be more accepting of full beards, the ones from the 80s probably prefer clean shaven, and the youngest ones have mixed tastes.

On a related note, I used to have long hair as well (no facial hair) but cut that off last summer. 14 inches to a wigs-for-cancer charity. Does the amount of hair on a guy's head affect how much hair you're willing to accept on his face?

rofl3.gif

Speaking as an "older woman" who was a child of the 60s, I prefer long untrimmed beards, preferably with leaves, feathers, & small twigs braided in, and long hair to match. laugh.gif Really! As long as it's clean and doesn't have last night's dinner or this morning's coffee clinging to it, of course.

OK, professionally speaking, a closely trimmed beard with mustache and sideburns is very nice. Sans 'stache is a little too odd IMO (looks a bit like you wandered in from one of the Amish counties). Soul patch is kinda trendy, though it looks good on Geddy. The Van Dyke is way too popular, especially among lower-status men working in information technology (AKA "help desk" and bottom-rung network engineers laugh.gif ) Seriously, I think the Van Dyke look is more and more associated with working-class men, so it depends on your work environment, educational background, and goals. (I apologize if that sounds offensive to some. I work in corporate financial services among very highly educated professionals, where this observation is true.)

Hmmm... as to your last question, "Does the amount of hair on a guy's head affect how much hair you're willing to accept on his face?" I don't think so. I know a very handsome, sophisticated looking gentleman who is shiny bald on top with a luxurious silver beard that looks wonderful. drool1.gif In men closer to my own age (mid-40s) who are thinning on top but not yet bald, the closer-trimmed beards look better than full ones, if only to keep from looking like they're trying to overcompensate.

Hope that helps! Why don't you post some before-and-after pictures so we can judge better?

Kismet

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ Mar 8 2008, 06:14 PM)
I prefer long untrimmed beards, preferably with leaves, feathers, & small twigs braided in, and long hair to match. 

I'll have to get Tortoise to try this look!!!!!!!

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

unsure.gif

Wait a minute - -

that was how he looked yesterday after cleaning the chicken coop!!!!!

SEXY!!!!! drool1.gif wink.gif

laugh.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

What about hairy backs ladies?

Anything sexy about hairy backs?

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Mar 8 2008, 08:02 PM)

Dude, i think you may be out of luck on that one. laugh.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Mar 8 2008, 07:02 PM)

At a ballroom dance event not long ago I was asked to dance by a gentleman whose back was so hairy it could be felt through his shirt. That's the closest I've ever come to it, I guess. unsure.gif I have to admit I was pretty grossed out, but what the heck... it was a single dance, not a date laugh.gif

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Mar 8 2008, 07:52 PM)
Makes me look dirty.

Which, facial hair or a hairy back?

I've had a mustache since age 14... been sporting a goatee also for the past 12+ years... I'd feel naked without the facial hair! laugh.gif

I've always thought it depended on the individual guy. On some guys long hair and-or facial hair just doesn't look right and short hair would flatter them better, and vice versa. course there's some that are hot no matter what they do...

*cough*neil peart*cough* tongue.gif

There are definitely some guys who look good with facial hair and some who do not. It really depends upon how it grows in on a guy. I've known some men who's beards grow in just in spots and it looks dumb as hell. I knew one guy who could fully grow facial hair only on the right side of his face! laugh.gif Poor guy. sad.gif

This makes me think of the question of whether or not a guy looks good with a shaved head or not. I've seen some men who would probably do better with the hair they have rather than go bald. Bumpy heads. no.gif

I had a goatee since the middle of high school (I'm halfway though college now) but my girlfriend convinced me to get rid of it. I really enjoy being completely clean-shaven now, except for some modest sideburns. I just hate shaving my cleft chin... bleh.

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Mar 8 2008, 07:02 PM)
...and my grandsons! 

Did you mean to say grandsons? If so, impressive! Not sure if I'm going to grow my hair long again-- I'd like to. The guy in middle looks like he's well over 6 feet tall. One vote for facial.

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ Mar 8 2008, 07:14 PM)
I prefer long untrimmed beards, preferably with leaves, feathers, & small twigs braided in, and long hair to match. laugh.gif Really! As long as it's clean and doesn't have last night's dinner or this morning's coffee clinging to it, of course.

Hope that helps! Why don't you post some before-and-after pictures so we can judge better?

Well I have pet doves so I've been known to have feathers caught in my hair, and I've somehow ( wink.gif ) ended up with leaves and twigs in my hair as well.

When I had an Amish-like beard it was easy to keep clean since it's not around your mouth. The full beard is more work to maintain. I'm a working man so I don't need to keep it neat and trim.

Not sure I really have any before and after pics, not big on getting snapped. I'm technologically backwards. I'd have look into that whole posting pics thing.

Two for facial (although I gather clean shaven's alright too?)

QUOTE (OriginalFan @ Mar 8 2008, 10:13 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Mar 8 2008, 07:02 PM)

At a ballroom dance event not long ago I was asked to dance by a gentleman whose back was so hairy it could be felt through his shirt. That's the closest I've ever come to it, I guess. unsure.gif I have to admit I was pretty grossed out, but what the heck... it was a single dance, not a date laugh.gif

rofl3.gif

As an "Older Woman", I do indeed loooooooooove facial hair . . . especially when added to long hair!!!!! But the taste for hair is not relegated to us old hippies! I have friends representing every decade who rock the hairy look . . . including my teenage students and my grandsons!

This is a picture of my fella, Tortoise, and me in New York serving as bookends for our beloved Necro!!! Long haired, ALL , . . . the guys sporting their facial hair!!! Tortoise dyes his goatee to match my red stuff. I LOVE IT!!! T's had the full beard, also, in past years.

I'm not sure if head hair preference correlates to facial hair preference. I suppose I like extremes . . . long hair or no hair WITH facial hair. wub.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

I think you guys were holding me UP at this point. laugh.gif

Can't wait to see you guys again. wub.gif

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Mar 9 2008, 02:09 AM)
...and my grandsons! 

Did you mean to say grandsons? If so, impressive! Not sure if I'm going to grow my hair long again-- I'd like to. The guy in middle looks like he's well over 6 feet tall. One vote for facial.

Why thank you!!! blush4.gif Yes indeed we have two grandsons . . . Our fourteen year old knows all 2.gif lyrics and he is known as Agent Bytor here on the Forum . . . he's a true fan! The little guy is only two . . . he is a fan in training! He has some of Geddy's moves down already! (Kinda cool that 2.gif is now entertaining their third generation, eh?!?)

As for that big guy in the middle, he is well over six feet!!! I'm only 5'2", so Necro towers over me like a Titan!!!

trink39.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

Archived