George Carlin - 14th Live HBO Special

EveryNerveAware

I'll watch it. But I'll probably be disappointed. Carlin was brilliant at one time, unequivocally brilliant, but now he seems to be a bitter old man. He's now nasty, mean, negative, opinionated and self-righteous. He used to be funny, insightful, appealing and intelligent.

He's still great. Old George is just not as quick as he used to be. I do agree that he's kicked up the vulgar-meter a bit to compensate for the slight loss of wit.

I'm sure that he will have a few nuggets on the special though. I'll probably tune in.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 28 2008, 04:04 PM)
I'll watch it. But I'll probably be disappointed. Carlin was brilliant at one time, unequivocally brilliant, but now he seems to be a bitter old man. He's now nasty, mean, negative, opinionated and self-righteous. He used to be funny, insightful, appealing and intelligent.

It's an act.

Hey, when you've been around for that many years doing comedy, you have to come up with new stuff that may not sit well with everyone.

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Feb 29 2008, 12:00 PM)
I'll watch it.  But I'll probably be disappointed.  Carlin was brilliant at one time, unequivocally brilliant, but now he seems to be a bitter old man.  He's now nasty, mean, negative, opinionated and self-righteous.  He used to be funny, insightful, appealing and intelligent.

It's an act.

Hey, when you've been around for that many years doing comedy, you have to come up with new stuff that may not sit well with everyone.

I love George Carlin. I'm going to watch the special. Seriously, he's really not that funny anymore. But I'm a loyal fan...I'm sure there will be a couple of new classic bits worth watching for.

I missed it because I was working in my hallway. So I must ask, was he funny or is he still just an angry old man with a microphone? As much as I LOVE the guy for his past work, sometime in the 90's he switched over from being a hilarious comedian to just being an angry guy who's disgusted at everything. Is this special just... more of that, or can I expect to laugh?

I agree. Something changed in him. He used to be able to look at everyday things in such a funny way and communicate that to us in a manner which made you laugh. Now all he is anymore is pissed off and full of contempt.

QUOTE (Pags @ Mar 2 2008, 08:50 AM)
I missed it because I was working in my hallway. So I must ask, was he funny or is he still just an angry old man with a microphone? As much as I LOVE the guy for his past work, sometime in the 90's he switched over from being a hilarious comedian to just being an angry guy who's disgusted at everything. Is this special just... more of that, or can I expect to laugh?

I honestly don't think you'll like it based on your post.

I really don't look at it like he is angry and full of contempt.

Especially at his age and with everything he has seen/been through he has a unique point of view. He examines everything that is expected of us and questions it.

I thought it was less funny overall (but still pretty funny) than some of his previous work but his observations about modern society are spot on.

Like I said in an earlier post, it's an act. I think George is truely fed up with the bullshit in America. And ya'll have to admit, he's right about that... we have way too much bullshit in this country today.

I love this observation...

When was the last time a kid in this day and age just went outside and played with a stick? I mean, just sat down and dug a hole with a stick. I don't think they make sticks anymore! Kids today have structured playtime on the parent's schedule. It's a form of child abuse!

Is he bitter or just one of those extremely insightful people who sees through all the commercial hype and bullshit and calls it with a straight shot? I think the latter.

He said that Barbara Bush's program to get books to kids was fine, but we should be teaching them to question everything they read. Question what they read in books, newspapers, see on TV, etc. And Barbara Bush was a great selection to head up that program seeing how she did such a good job with George!! laugh.gif

The man will make you think. You may not agree with everything he says, but if you laugh and he invokes thoughts of questioning authority, then I think he's done his job.

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Mar 2 2008, 08:59 AM)
Like I said in an earlier post, it's an act.  I think George is truely fed up with the bullshit in America.  And ya'll have to admit, he's right about that... we have way too much bullshit in this country today.

When was the last time a kid in this day and age just went outside and played with a stick?  I mean, just sat down and dug a hole with a stick.  I don't think they make sticks anymore!  Kids today have structured playtime on the parent's schedule.  It's a form of child abuse! 

Is he bitter or just one of those extremely insightful people who sees through all the commercial hype and bullshit and calls it with a straight shot?  I think the latter. 

He said that Barbara Bush's program to get books to kids was fine, but we should be teaching them to question everything they read.  Question what they read in books, newspapers, see on TV, etc.  And Barbara Bush was a great selection to head up that program seeing how she did such a good job with George!!    laugh.gif

The man will make you think.  You may not agree with everything he says, but if you laugh and he invokes thoughts of questioning authority, then I think he's done his job.

See now, I never said I didn't 'agree' with what he has to say. It's not about the point he has to make. It's come down to "It's not what you have to say, but how you say it". It used to be a lot more funny. It's not so much, anymore. Nowadays, it's an accurate viewpoint that's missing the element of hilarity. I don't think he lost the ability to make clever observations. But I find myself watching and listening more than I am laughing. Agreeing, yes. But laughing? Not really. Has he forgotten he's supposed to a comedian, first?

I'll watch the special. I do love Carlin. I'm just noting the difference of what was, and what is.

trink39.gif

Edited by Pags

I watched it last night and he was the usual ornery old man that he's been the past few specials. In the past ten years he seems to have moved from comedian to social satirist. Last night I didn't find myself laughing as much as smiling and nodding in agreement at a lot of his stuff. He spent a lot of time talking about God again and that stuff usually isn't too funny. Still, if you're a fan it's worth watching.

I agree with many here that Carlin isn't as funny like he use to be.

He has his moments but that last(13th) HBO special wasen't that good. no.gif

Carlin has always been a "social satirist," an outspoken atheist, and a cranky guy... I don't know why you guys are surprised.

That said, I saw him live once in the mid-90s and was very underwhelmed. He wasn't his usual self; he was spraying the audience with Silly String and doing fart jokes, of all the old and tired comedic subjects! These days, he's back to his sharp and biting self, in my opinion.

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Mar 2 2008, 09:59 AM)
Like I said in an earlier post, it's an act. I think George is truely fed up with the bullshit in America. And ya'll have to admit, he's right about that... we have way too much bullshit in this country today.

When was the last time a kid in this day and age just went outside and played with a stick? I mean, just sat down and dug a hole with a stick. I don't think they make sticks anymore! Kids today have structured playtime on the parent's schedule. It's a form of child abuse!

Is he bitter or just one of those extremely insightful people who sees through all the commercial hype and bullshit and calls it with a straight shot? I think the latter.

He said that Barbara Bush's program to get books to kids was fine, but we should be teaching them to question everything they read. Question what they read in books, newspapers, see on TV, etc. And Barbara Bush was a great selection to head up that program seeing how she did such a good job with George!! laugh.gif

The man will make you think. You may not agree with everything he says, but if you laugh and he invokes thoughts of questioning authority, then I think he's done his job.

That's pretty much as close to the line as you can get in this forum, politically speaking.

I'm not picking on you, Nerve, I'm just using your post as an example so don't get all worked up.

And since Carlin is very political I figured some of the newer folks would benefit from and follow that example. However if they don't, I'll break out my stick. cool.gif

I wish I had known about this. It will probably be on again soon, though. My thoughts are the same as many who have posted here. He used to be really funny and innovative, now he is just cranky and bitter. Having said that, he is also a master of the English Language, and he can do bits that are so cleverly worded, you are willing to forgive him his rantings because the other parts are so good.

I'd say more, but it might cause this thread to get moved, and I don't want to be responsible for that!!! no.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 2 2008, 02:26 PM)
That's pretty much as close to the line as you can get in this forum, politically speaking.

I'm not picking on you, Nerve, I'm just using your post as an example so don't get all worked up.

Understood. I don't feel picked on and rarely "get worked up" about advice from the mods.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Mar 2 2008, 07:48 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Mar 2 2008, 02:26 PM)

Understood. I don't feel picked on and rarely "get worked up" about advice from the mods.

trink39.gif

Good to know, sir I don't know you very well so I thought I'd throw that line in. I was pretty much half-kidding anyway. I know not all of my my jokes are good, I can admit it! laugh.gif trink39.gif Back at you.

Take care!

I agree with the sentiment that Carlin is a master of the English language. Even his earlier specials (buy his "All My Stuff" box set, because it rules!) show this.

His feelings on euphemisms (from the CD "Parental Advisory") is as accurate as Robin Hood splitting someone's arrow in half.