Breaking Bad

ReRushed

Yeah, I saw most of the first season and had lost some interest towards the end. But caught the new episode last week and it got me re-hooked.

Well produced show. Good acting, cool plot. Some very funny dark comedy at times.

This show is brilliant. Saw the entire first season on DVD. Buddy of mine made a compilation. Indeed, best way to see a show. You lose nothing of the storyline as you march through the weeks in mere hours. Also saw both seasons of Showtime's Sleeper Cell this way as well. If you get a chance to see at least the first season of Sleeper Cell, do yourself a favor and take it. That show was amazing. Has the same type of sequential storytelling format as '24', but a completely different story. And, to have the entire 10 hours unfold for you in, like two or three sittings, is just awesome.

Breaking Bad is getting a bad rap because a bunch of critics are saying that it glorifies drugs. Which, it probably does to some extent. But, the storyline is so unique and original. Seems more like something you'd find on HBO or SHO, rather than AMC. I have one question for any of the long-time veiwers. The first episode of this season, when Tuco pummels his partner into the afterlife at the auto yard....Was this episode shown as the last episode of last season? Because, I'm almost positive that I saw this one before. When they aired it, the pummeling came right back to me, but the remainder of the episode was hazy. Not knowing is driving me batty. I feel a little unbalanced. I feel another Joaquin Phoenix comparison coming on.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 17 2009, 01:37 AM)
This show is brilliant.  Saw the entire first season on DVD.  Buddy of mine made a compilation.  Indeed, best way to see a show.  You lose nothing of the storyline as you march through the weeks in mere hours.  Also saw both seasons of Showtime's Sleeper Cell this way as well.  If you get a chance to see  at least the first season of Sleeper Cell, do yourself a favor and take it.  That show was amazing.  Has the same type of sequential storytelling format as '24', but a completely different story. And, to have the entire 10 hours unfold for you in, like two or three sittings, is just awesome. 

Breaking Bad is getting a bad rap because a bunch of critics are saying that it glorifies drugs.  Which, it probably does to some extent.  But, the storyline is so unique and original.  Seems more like something you'd find on HBO or SHO, rather than AMC.  I have one question for any of the long-time veiwers.  The first episode of this season, when Tuco pummels his partner into the afterlife at the auto yard....Was this episode shown as the last episode of last season?  Because, I'm almost positive that I saw this one before.  When they aired it, the pummeling came right back to me, but the remainder of the episode was hazy.  Not knowing is driving me batty.  I feel a little unbalanced.  I feel another Joaquin Phoenix comparison coming on.

That particuliar scene was in the last episode (ending of the episode)but also included at the beginning first episode of this season as a continuation....they are 2 different episodes.

How does this show glorify drugs? confused13.gif If anything it shows how frikkin' ugly it is and how dangerous it is to be involved in that world. go on-line and check out those before and after pics of meth users....that drug is brutal. The whole premise of the show is the consequences Walt must deal with being involved in that dirty business (the danger, the secrecy, the law,etc)

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 17 2009, 07:08 AM)
How does this show glorify drugs? confused13.gif If anything it shows how frikkin' ugly it is and how dangerous it is to be involved in that world. go on-line and check out those before and after pics of meth users....that drug is brutal. The whole premise of the show is the consequences Walt must deal with being involved in that dirty business (the danger, the secrecy, the law,etc)

I guess that you're right..mostly, partly. Maybe I'm just parroting what I've heard, which is usually totally unlike me. But, I'm guessing that their arguement is that the two main characters have, thus far, gotten away with murder and large-quantity drug sales. They're not exactly enjoying any of their earnings at this juncture, but, the message which can be taken from the story at this point is that, if you're willing to go through some extremely stress-riddled days, compromise your morals/ethics, get awfully dirty, you too can make some sick cash in the drug business...without any time spent in the big house.

QUOTE (mortkort @ Mar 18 2009, 05:37 PM)
indeed an awesome show. the last episode was pretty intense. cant wait for the next episode. brian cranston is one of my favorite actors.

Sure is quite a different role than the one he had as the dad on Malcolm in the Middle that's for sure! laugh.gif

I'm not much for the awards and stuff but he truly deserved his Emmy as best actor last year yes.gif

I have to say though I cannot STAND Walt's sister in law Marie.....She ANNOYS the hell out of me laugh.gif but that is the purpose of her character who to me represents hypocrisy which is another part of the show (her anti-drug ranting and raving yet she is a klepto always stealing shit)

This show is sort of a darker version of another fav show of mine Weeds

Walt's sister in law is a bitch and deserves the man she's married.

I just now, this minute, saw the end of the second ep. I saw the first 2/3 a few days ago. I can not believe that the writers choose to end it like this. Both Walt and Jess are royally screwed. Next ep. is going to be off the hook, son.

But, I have a question that I'm hopin' someone here is kind enough to answer for me.

***How and where?

The old, wheel-chair bound man was obviously a relative of Tuco, so I'm assuming that was his place that he took Walter and Jesse. But, HOW did Hank find them there?

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 18 2009, 08:44 PM)

But, I have a question that I'm hopin' someone here is kind enough to answer for me.

***How and where?

The old, wheel-chair bound man was obviously a relative of Tuco, so I'm assuming that was his place that he took Walter and Jesse. But, HOW did Hank find them there?

I'm guessing we'll find out next show....remember Hank was tracking down Jesse's Monte Carlo...

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 18 2009, 08:31 PM)
I'm guessing we'll find out next show....remember Hank was tracking down Jesse's Monte Carlo...

You don't know either, so I guess that I didn't miss something obvious.

Do you know anything about the locale that they were taken?

That wasn't Tuco's Pop was it? I'm assuming that the place was rather desolate, that's why I can't figure how Hank found them.

There was this one scene during that episode where Hank gets inside of his Escalade, or whatever it was, but before he does, he goes to the rear wheel-well and takes something out of there. Is it possible that he's been placing tracking devices? Or, is this just a shot in the dark?

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 18 2009, 10:14 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 18 2009, 08:31 PM)

You don't know either, so I guess that I didn't miss something obvious.

Do you know anything about the locale that they were taken?

That wasn't Tuco's Pop was it? I'm assuming that the place was rather desolate, that's why I can't figure how Hank found them.

There was this one scene during that episode where Hank gets inside of his Escalade, or whatever it was, but before he does, he goes to the rear wheel-well and takes something out of there. Is it possible that he's been placing tracking devices? Or, is this just a shot in the dark?

That is Tuco's uncle who had a stroke...It is his home out there in the desert.

Your theory on Hank's possible use of tracking device just jarred my memory of how Hank located the Monte Carlo. If you recall once he found out from Jesse's mom that he converted the car into a lowrider Hank called his partner to see if the car had a LoJack car-tracking system which is obviously how he found out the location of the car.

See. I coulda worked for the DEA/ATF myself. Can't wait until Sunday's episode. The two are flat out busted. I have no idea how they're gunna squirm they way outta this one. The first possibility that comes to mind is that Hank has done something illegal in his killing of Tuco and can't write this one up as is, can't bring Walt and Jess into the picture. But, that just brings up a crapload of questions. Well, we will see.

I searched this forum for any threads on HBO's Rome and came up empty. My question is simple: Are they still making new episodes of this program? I watched all of the first and second seasons and then the well suddenly went dry. Was a third season aired and I missed it, or was it a wrap only after two?

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 29 2009, 03:02 PM)
I searched this forum for any threads on HBO's Rome and came up empty. My question is simple: Are they still making new episodes of this program? I watched all of the first and second seasons and then the well suddenly went dry. Was a third season aired and I missed it, or was it a wrap only after two?

Rome is finished. I've heard they stopped after 2 seasons because it was so expensive to film show.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Mar 29 2009, 05:59 PM)
Believe it or not, that was the only HBO original program that I really got into. Never cared for any of the others, especially The Sopranos. Actually watched the first season of SiX Feet Under, but now in retrospect, I didn't really like the actors at all. lol.

Michael C. Hall from Six Feet Under is AWESOME as Dexter yes.gif

And Sopranos kicks ass.....too bad their run is over.

I found The Sopranos demeaning with it's stereotypes of Italian-Americans. But, that's just me. I thought some of the characters to be ludicrous as well. Steve VanZant doing his character reminded me of Rich Little's portrayl of Richard Nixon in the 70's. Really bad acting with him. And, whos' that guy, Paulie? The guy with the two silver streaks in his hair? That guy reminds me of an uncle that I detest. I couldn't get past a few things which prevented me from enjoying the show in the least. Rome itself was a bit ludicrous with its All-British cast playing Italians of 2,000 years ago. But, I dug all the actors in that one.

I almost missed Breaking Bad last night after reminding myself and others here. I missed the first 25 minutes. But, luckily they re-air it again immediately after. Wifey ain't buying Walt's denial of anything fishy. Yet, still he tries to sell it wholesale. He's in up over his head, and you just know that him and Jesse are just about ready to cook once again. Jess being left homeless kinda guarantees that. And, once that guy who fixed the camper catches up with him, they in schitt again. Kind of a in-between episode, setting up the action for next week.