What tour moment turns you into a Rush Zombie?

Schro

I was browsing through the Best Instrumental thread (great thread btw!), and felt comfort that so many talked about how La Villa affected them so much. I feel the same way.

It got me to thinking about some concert moments. I've been to about 9 concerts over the years, which I admit is not many by some standards.

But there's always one moment that stands out to me. It's when they play La Villa (and thank god they usually do, even if shortened). There's a moment when the song gets quiet and Alex comes in with his guitar solo (you know the one).

I don't know what it is, but it's that solo that sticks in my head and sums up my experience when I remember the concerts I've been to. It moves me so much, it's hard to describe. It's like time slows down. Alex, Geddy, and Neil are in slow motion. I forget who I came with. I forget about my current station in life. The noise of the crowd disappears. Whereas just a moment ago I was screaming, now I can't speak. Every ounce of my being is feeling the notes being played. I go into a sort of Rush-like coma for the rest of the song and am only snapped out of it at the end of the song when the crowd starts cheering again.

Does anyone else have songs or moments in concert(s) like this that seem to transcend time and put you into a Rush Zombie state? Do Tell!!

I can't quite say that I'm sent into a zombie state but, every time I've seen them, I'm in a completely different world from the moment the house lights dim until the moment they go up again. As I said, not so much a zombie as a fiend.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Jan 18 2005, 04:16 PM)
I know what you mean. You kinda get lost in the music. I cannot say that other concerts do that to me... That's why there is no band like 2.gif

yes.gif actaully not just at concerts....at school when I listen to Rush i'll stare at a wall for a very long time...lol fing.gif

I always go absolutely batshit when they segue into Temples of Syrinx. Fist pumping, head banging, foot stomping, screaming the lyrics at the to of my lungs. OK, maybe that's not a "zombie" state but it does turn me into a "Rush lunatic" laugh.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jan 18 2005, 05:12 PM)
I always go absolutely batshit when they segue into Temples of Syrinx. Fist pumping, head banging, foot stomping, screaming the lyrics at the to of my lungs. OK, maybe that's not a "zombie" state but it does turn me into a "Rush lunatic" laugh.gif

LOL rofl3.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 18 2005, 07:13 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jan 18 2005, 05:12 PM)
I always go absolutely batshit when they segue into Temples of Syrinx. Fist pumping, head banging, foot stomping, screaming the lyrics at the to of my lungs. OK, maybe that's not a "zombie" state but it does turn me into a "Rush lunatic"  laugh.gif

LOL rofl3.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif Oh man, I know exactly how you feel. My first Rush show was this past summer at the R30, and when they went into 2112, the whole song I was just screaming and going insane. That song is just totally phenominal, and it makes me feel so good. 1022.gif

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Jan 18 2005, 06:00 PM)
That one section of La Villa Strangiato turns me into a zombie, like Panacea does from The Fountain Of Lamneth.

YES!! Panacea! from The Fountain Of Lamneth! sooooooo true!!

How refreshing to hear how awesome those first tour experiences are.....I remember still, even after my modest 18 shows(R30 being most recent). I , too, always get off on hearing the boys break into overture/temples. The last few tours have spoiled us again as we have been lucky enough to hear alot of 2112(woohoo!). For me though Overture is awesome, I have always gotten chills when I hear...WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL...WE HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL..That moment comes at the end of some awesome music and of course at a very telling point in the story..Anyway, I ramble....

GO 2.gif !!

653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif 653.gif

Any awesome bass solo turns me into a Rush zombie - particularly Driven, Bravado (extended version), and Secret Touch!

But - as others have said - just being at a Rush concert is totally amazing - the entire thing!

This summer, at the Toronto concert, my "10th row" ticket turned out to be 5th row (side), but then we ended up front row, on the fence!! Not only that, but I finally got to go to a concert with another Rush FANATIC (not just fans!). We were jumping around and screaming and having the time of our lives.

About the 4th song in, I realized that I had a HUGE grin on my face, that had been there since the boys took the stage. And it didn't go away!! I think that was truly the happiest moment of my life.

(Front row at a Rush Concert - Check! I can die happy now!!)

biggrin.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif

2.gif

On R30 ... it was Mystic Rhytms. in the chorus ... when the low end bass synth note hits and Ged sings and Neils is doing his 8 arm rhythm .... it captures my heart and takes me far away.

I was so glad they added that to the show.

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Jan 18 2005, 09:45 PM)
On R30 ... it was Mystic Rhytms. in the chorus ... when the low end bass synth note hits and Ged sings and Neils is doing his 8 arm rhythm .... it captures my heart and takes me far away.

I was so glad they added that to the show.

Sounds like a great moment! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Cygnus @ Jan 18 2005, 06:17 PM)
Hemispheres

Yes. I get very emotional whenever i listen to that song. Its The Cygnus part that always gets me. the synths, the great lyrics, everything. By-tor is great too. right after the battle when it gets slow. The solo in Passage to Bangkok is really moving to me as well.

I remember during the VT tour, my first show seeing them, I was so excited through the whole thing that every single song mezmerized me. There literally wasnt a single song that I had the opportunity to come down from, each one was like a wrecking ball to the face. I have to say, a lot of that credit is due to not reading a setlist before hand too.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Jan 18 2005, 07:16 PM)
I know what you mean. You kinda get lost in the music. I cannot say that other concerts do that to me... That's why there is no band like 2.gif

EXACTLY

My adrenaline really starts pouring into my system when they play Animate. Unfortunately, on the R30 show in Phoenix, I HAD to go to the bathroom during this song, but I caught the beginning and end of it at least, and I really felt moved. Animate is definitely the high point of the show for me. I like the Different Stages version of it better than the studio version on Counterparts.

QUOTE (redstar86 @ Jan 19 2005, 09:34 AM)
My adrenaline really starts pouring into my system when they play Animate. Unfortunately, on the R30 show in Phoenix, I HAD to go to the bathroom during this song, but I caught the beginning and end of it at least, and I really felt moved. Animate is definitely the high point of the show for me. I like the Different Stages version of it better than the studio version on Counterparts.

I have never gone to the bathroom during a Rush show. Infact, the only time I ever had gone to the bathroom during any show I remember was at a Yes show, during Awaken. And in my defense, I had never heard the song before, I would never do something like that again now tongue.gif

When Rush plays "Red Barchetta" is the standout for me. The whole song is great but the last part right before Alex starts playing the artificial harmonics is really kickin and then it slows down into the outro, last tour they went into (daytripper?) in the closing bars of the song. This song takes me back to when I was 12 and seen Rush for the first time on Moving pictures tour. I loved Rush before that but that moment when they played Red Barchetta for the first time pretty much locked Rush as my favorite band of all times, forever, no one will ever pass them in my book.

Archived