Most Talented Musician in Rush

rushfreak13

Well, both Neil and Geddy are recognized as THE masters at their respective instruments, while Alex doesn't get NEARLY the recognition he deserves. For his versatility and ability to play numerous parts simultaneously while also singing, I give the nod to Geddy.

(rushfreak13: I edited your post to fix the 2 smilies at the end of the first line.)

I think that the best musician is definitely Neil. ALong with Geddy and Alex.

How can you choose one? I know that they are my favourite band, but when asked who my favourite drummer, bassist, guitarists are I'd always come up with Neil, Geddy and Alex, they're the perfect combination apart from anything else. I think Alex has a harder time getting recognition as people always focus on guitarists, and there are so many great guitarists around (Lindsey Buckingham, Martin Carthy, David Rawlings, Francis Rossi, Peter Green, Andreas Kisser) but Alex has great versatility and inventiveness, and after all the music that they produce is surely the mark of talent. There is no denying that Steve Vai is a technically brilliant guitarist, but does anyone really want to listen to his music?

I don't think that can be answered as each discipline is so different. Put a guitar or bass in Neil's hands and he's probably hopeless. Similarly, put Geddy or Alex behind a drum kit and thet'll probably be equally inept.

If forced to choose, I would likely go for Ged due to his ability to multitask so well on stage.

I'm not even going to answer this. My history on this board speaks for itself.

NeilFinal.gif

biggrin.gif

They all are talented.

I think Geddy is the best musician in the band. He can do a little bit of everything.

neil peart is a god on the drums, hands down one of the greatest ever. geddy is equally amazing and alex is an underrated guitarist. he is very good at what he does. All three of them are amazing, but if i were to pick one i'd pick neil just because he's so awesome. then geddy then alex. not that alex and geddy aren't amazing musicians just that I think neil is the best.

I have so much respect for all of the guys. I'd say they are fairly equal......I am a guitarist/bass player/and drummer. Rush has influenced me on so many levels. I really believe they are all fairly comparable. As I figure out the respective parts of songs, they all impress me, usually equally.

I'd give a slight nod to Neil, just because drumming is a little more physically demanding. Alex and Geddy are still incredible musicians though.

QUOTE (Sark @ Apr 21 2005, 04:33 PM)
I'd give a slight nod to Neil, just because drumming is a little more physically demanding.

However, Neil doesn't multi-task on stage the way Geddy does.

I honestly don't think you can say who is the more talented - they all have their strengths and weaknesses

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Apr 21 2005, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (Sark @ Apr 21 2005, 04:33 PM)
I'd give a slight nod to Neil, just because drumming is a little more physically demanding.

However, Neil doesn't multi-task on stage the way Geddy does.

I honestly don't think you can say who is the more talented - they all have their strengths and weaknesses

They are all amazingly talented musicians, no doubt about that. I think a proper title to this thread should be who is your "favorite" musician in Rush. wink.gif

I think it's too hard to compare them because they all have different demands put on them.

Ultimately, I think what's important, is that each of them have pushed themselves their entire career. I can't think of a time period where I could look at any one member of Rush and think he said to himself, "I'm good enough the way I am now - I don't need to work at this anymore."

Nope. They've always tried to get better. It's their nature, and one thing I love about them.

Similarly, you see some bands and it seems kinda obvious that one or two people are "carrying" that band, so to speak.

I just don't see that being the case with Rush. I think they highly respect each other's talent and work ethic, and none of them want to be the one that "drops the ball" and puts out a performance (studio or live) they can't be proud of.

That's the kind of band I'd be proud to be a part of, no matter where it led.

My 2 cents,

cool.gif

Schro

This is tuff because they are all very talented in their own way which defines RUSH.

But having to break it down to answer the post - It was a toss up between Neil and Geddy, I find them both equally talented, in my opinion, but to really really break it down. Neil is the most talented musician by a hair followed by Geddy w/Alex bringing up the rear. biggrin.gif

If we're rating the boys on how they stack up against other musicians, I'd have to say Neil is the best musician. yes.gif

He's by far the most innovative of the three when it comes to instruments, he's extremely focused on his sound and technique (and the only one to put out an instructional video--the the best of my knowledge) and he can put on an amazing show all by himself.

Don't get me wrong, I think Geddy's a great bassist and a great musician. In my opinion, however, he's hardly a wizard on the keyboard, his singing is unique but not exceptional, and his bass playing--even though it's outstanding--pales compared to Victor Wooten.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 18 2005, 01:21 PM)

If forced to choose, I would likely go for Ged due to his ability to multitask so well on stage.

And, the fact that I adore the man. That's not fair, but a Ged Gal will choose this way. Ladies, I only speak of myself, so don't get mad at this tongue.gif

SO many different ways to A)interbret this question and B ) get an answer

If you want to compare Other musicians to the skill of one of the guys, then I think Neil does that, because he pretty well wrote the book on modern day drumming from what I understand...

If you want to do it on quordination, then hands down Ged. All the things he does up there are insane, he prolly has as much limb independency as Neil himself!

And as far as songwriting goes, whoever does the most soundwriting (be it Ged or Alex)

However, I find that you can't do this kind of question with Rush as you can with other bands. YOu can look at other bands and go "yep, that guy is definatly the stand out best" but Rush doesn't function like that, they all...almost pool their talents together to make an awesome sound...so I really don't think there is a way to answer this...

AlexFinal.gif

He is one of the Best GUITARISTS in my book, he just blows Clapton away and many other guitar players. I believe that Crossroads is better on the FEEDBACK album guitar wise that the original it just blows it away.

My inclination is towards Neil because his lyrics are what elevates Rush above countless other bands, but is he "better" than Geddy or Alex. I have a problem with saying that.

Here's a rough analogy -

I've had more success than, say, sfuentes in the Rush Word Scramble game, he's had more success than me in the Camera Eye game.

Each of has different strengths and talents, and contributes to making the Roll the Bones area enjoyable, but is one of us "better" than the other?.

I don't think so.

Archived