I love the first album!

DoubleAgent420

Neil wasn't there but the music was still totally cool! It's just really different than anything they'd put out in the future. I listen to this album regularly. It rocks!

QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Jan 17 2005, 01:15 PM)
Neil wasn't there but the music was still totally cool! It's just really different than anything they'd put out in the future. I listen to this album regularly. It rocks!

yes.gif Finding My Way, Working Man, In the Mood, Here Again... 653.gif common001.gif

I've always loved this album. I listen to it just as much as i would listen to Moving Pictures or Hemispheres.

I love Finding My Way, Working Man, What You're Doing, Before and After, In the Mood, Take a Friend,...

Sure, the lyrics arent very strong, but its a pretty solid album IMO. 2.gif

The stuff from the first album that they still play is really good, really catchy.

Finding My Way opening the R30 Overture = brillance new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Jan 17 2005, 10:15 AM)

The first album is indeed very good, but I can't help but feeling that there's something missing, and there is. The Professor isn't at the drums! Even though the first album is good, it's just not Rush. Instead, it's not-so-deep lyrics with 'baby' being sung by Geddy in almost every song! But that doesn't matter. It's still very good.

I like the first album too. Granted, it's not among my favorites. Besides, it's rare that a group's first album is all that good, because the money is not there to make some shining, expensive production, thereby forgiveable.

What isn't forgiveable is a sucky Rush record WITH Neil that has come after many successful Rush records.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 17 2005, 01:33 PM)
I like the first album too. Granted, it's not among my favorites. Besides, it's rare that a group's first album is all that good, because the money is not there to make some shining, expensive production, thereby forgiveable.

What isn't forgiveable is a sucky Rush record WITH Neil that has come after many successful Rush records.

Let's hope that it never comes to that! yes.gif

They were 20-22 years old. Not a bad first record for being so young. Here Again has a great groove. Let's face it, the lyrics suck on serveral of the tracks, but the Album rocks as a whole.

What really rules is that boot from Aug '74. Neil's 3rd show I think. Great quality for an old boot. In the middle of Working Man, they break into a portion of By Tor and Snow Dog.. Great Stuff!!

2.gif

Of course I love it - its a great, feel good rock and roll album. In fact it's my favourite Led Zep album.

That bootleg sounds great. I heard some songs on a boot from that period and its really interesting to hear them change for a rockin bar band into the prog rock feel in such a short time. A really creative time with the ambition of youth

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Jan 17 2005, 03:54 PM)
QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Jan 17 2005, 10:15 AM)

Even though the first album is good, it's just not Rush. Instead, it's not-so-deep lyrics with 'baby' being sung by Geddy in almost every song! But that doesn't matter. It's still very good.

I hear ya ... but it is RUSH. Don't sell Ged and AL out so soon.

ALso, Working Man is one of the most played classics from RUSH on rock stations. It is an iconic/epic song.

I love the 1st album ... from front to back. And the remaster sounds great.

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Jan 17 2005, 04:40 PM)

Too late, it already has. yes.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 17 2005, 08:11 PM)

which one? hold your fire?

anyways I htink the debut is one of their best. probably thier 4th best in my opinion. 653.gif

QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jan 17 2005, 09:12 PM)

anyways I htink the debut is one of their best. probably thier 4th best in my opinion. 653.gif

Hell no, Test for Echo was the worst. Dog Years? Please! Check the poll on "least favorite Rush"

QUOTE (BigG @ Jan 17 2005, 10:18 PM)
Of course I love it - its a great, feel good rock and roll album. In fact it's my favourite Led Zep album.

The man has hit the nail on the head.

When I first heard "What You're Doing", I had to double check that Robert Plant wasn't on guest vocals.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 17 2005, 09:18 PM)
QUOTE (earthshiner @ Jan 17 2005, 09:12 PM)

Hell no, Test for Echo was the worst. Dog Years? Please! Check the poll on "least favorite Rush"

test for echo is #7 for me. Without it, I would be a fan today. but thats whats great about rush, something for all.

Pesonally, I love the debut, it was one of the first albums I heard properly (after 2112 and All the World's a Stage I think - someone bought me Archives so I started from the beginning).

Yes, the production is very raw but that just adds to the album's charm. I don't think a more polished sound would have suited the album's rough and ready bar room approach. More importantly, there is an innocence and youthful energy that just just bursts from the speakers.

Try as they might, that is something they will never be able to recapture.

As for the Led Zeppelin stamp all over it, what's so wrong with that. They were a young band, growing up and trying to find their own identity. At least they acknowledged their debt to LZ, unlike Kingdom Clone who tried to claim thay had never listened to LZ in their lives rofl3.gif fing.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Personally, I think there is one way to listen to the Rush album - turn it up to 11 and rock!

Hey guys - first post and great forum!

For my own part I love the first album as well. Sure, it's a bit lyric-lite, but sometimes I'm in the mood for something you can just bang your head too and not think too hard. This one sure fits the bill and I can tell you this cd has gone to the front of the queue many times on the Friday drive home from work when I just want to scream some words in the car cause I'm so happy the weekend is finally here.

I really like the energy they brought to the project. Even back then, it seemed like all the odds were stacked against them (how many times had they been told they'd always be "just a bar band"). Was anyone in their respective lives telling them music careers were something they could seriously pursue? My guess is that alot of their friends and family, nevermind their critics, thought that their bar gigs were a nice hobby until they decided to get seriuos about their lives and find a real job.

They had every reason to go into this album with a sense of gloom. A sense in the back of their heads that said, "we'll give this a shot but it's probly not gonna work but at least we can say we tried". But they didn't do that. They went in with both guns blazing. They knew they had created some hardcore fans in their limited time in Toronto. Certainly people like that lived elsewhere too right? They believed in their ability as musicians - that they were good enough to take their shot despite what others were telling them.

So they still went for it. They scraped up they money to get graveyard studio time. They came in after long gigs and recorded from 2 in the morning til 9. They had a studio engineer who hardly knew what he was doing and only used 2 of the 8 tracks they had available. But they saw that it wasn't right and didn't take it lying down. They weren't going to let it go out until it was up to their standard. So they brought in a new guy, Terry Brown, to help out, and he did the best he could to resurrect the mixing, even having them rerecord three of the songs.

Will the annals of time remember this album? Probably not. But every great thing must start with a small step forward. This was Rush' "one little victory" to get the ball rolling. It wasn't perfect, but they took the momentum and pushed it as hard as they could.

And the result?

They gave birth to a legitimate rock band.

Does anyone realize how hard that is? It's sad, but probly 9 out of 10 bands didn't make it in their shoes, with more going for them. They became a contender. A group that would outlive and outlast many other respected groups that started during that time. They said goodbye to the bar scene, the very place everyone thought they would be stuck before they gave up, and said hello to a touring the states and making records year after year. Records and tours that would garner them the repsect of practically every serious rock fan or musician out there.

How cool is that?

Rush' debut will have a home in my player until the end of time.

Archived