Camera Eye - 1st TRF musicians ALL-STAR JAM

jdouglas

So in borrowing this idea from another forum i'm in....there seem to be some talented guitarist here...so let's jam.

Basically, we take a song...the Camera Eye to start, and everyone gets about a 30-40 sec part to solo or play an interesting backing part over it...Now, it should be lifeson inspired..it is a rush song after all.

Anywho, record yourself alone doing your section and someone here with better equip then me can consolidated the files / mix with the original song and we have a jam.

Below are the parts (most corresponding to obvious changes in the song):

0:00-1:08 - PW

1:08-1:33

1:33-2:13

2:13-2:45 - Choose/the/light

2:45-3:31

3:31-4:03

4:03-4:42

4:42-5:05

5:05-5:52 - jdouglas

5:52-6:46

6:46-7:28

7:28-7:54

7:54-8:31

8:31-9:18 - pete

9:18-10:05

10:05-10:57

So don't claim sections yet...just express your interest and we will likely go from there...(except I get 5:02-5:49 since it was my idea...and whoever is brave enough to mix can have 2nd pick) wink.gif

Not looking for a real quick turnaround. think and plan out your part...make it your best effort.....Should be fun, and a nice mix of different styles of lifeson favoring..ha.

So who is in?

Edited by jdouglas

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Feb 10 2008, 12:35 AM)
Sounds cool. I'm game.

Is this gonna end up as a long guitar solo or what?

probably, but there are some creative folks here...i'm sure it won't all be 95mph riffs, etc..

yeah, 1001...probably 2 files each...one with a mp3 mix, one without so the mixer can line it up, etc...

glad you two are interested...should be fun...

I'd definetly like to do that, it sounds like fun, I've got a small amount of personal recording and mixing experience. I've got a Line 6 Tone Port KB37 and Abelton Live Lite, so if no one else can mix, I could probably do it. If I could have my choice, I think I'd want 2:10-2:42 and/or 2:42-3:28.

Who else is in?

2.gif

Sounds cool. I'm game.

You picked a nice spot. Can I take 8:28-9:15?

Putting in CD, thinking Pete already claimed the solo, and.....he didn't! ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

jd, are your times off? Is that section that starts at 8:28 the clean arpeggio section? If so, it starts at 8:31...unless there's a difference between the original CD and the remastered one that I'm listening to.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 10 2008, 12:48 AM)
Sounds cool. I'm game.

Putting in CD, thinking Pete already claimed the solo, and.....he didn't! ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

jd, are your times off? Is that section that starts at 8:28 the clean arpeggio section? If so, it starts at 8:31...unless there's a difference between the original CD and the remastered one that I'm listening to.

yeah, i had an mp3 that could be a few sec off...probably different CDs are off too...yes, it is always the end of the measure (closest to the time). Most are the fairly dramatic shifts, etc...who ever is mixing should probably publish an "official" time list, i guess....I'm cool with you mixing if you have the equip and time, etc..

all the parts are pretty good....except 9:15-10:02 is Alex's solo...I wouldn't dare except to play an interesting back track riff..

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Feb 10 2008, 12:57 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 10 2008, 12:48 AM)
Sounds cool. I'm game.

laugh.gif

yeah, i had an mp3 that could be a few sec off...probably different CDs are off too...yes, it is always the end of the measure (closest to the time). Most are the fairly dramatic shifts, etc...who ever is mixing should probably publish an "official" time list, i guess....I'm cool with you mixing if you have the equip and time, etc..

all the parts are pretty good....except 9:15-10:02 is Alex's solo...I wouldn't dare except to play an interesting back track riff..

It looks like your times are three seconds off from the CD. Just repost your times, adding three seconds to every time listed. Except for 0:00, of course. biggrin.gif

Well I will play all of the backing tracks if need be. I am set to go for all the drums, bass, keys and vox. Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Feb 10 2008, 04:54 AM)
Well I will play all of the backing tracks if need be. I am set to go for all the drums, bass, keys and vox.

Cool! Just use the album version as a guide and all the guitars will sync up nicely.

(And yes Cyg, that "other" project has not been forgotten about. Only have the intro and one solo to do. I just need some free time with an empty house! fists crying.gif )

cool cyg. just to be clear thou, it's a jam / improv..we are not trying to replicate the guitar parts...(althought if we play the actual guitar for a few measures before our sections, that might be the key to syncing up the mixing..then just fade it in without those parts??)

also, i wonder if we should spilt the alex guitar solo part into 2 and give it to 2 bass players to improv over??

hey 10001, which part do you want since you are mixing? u should pick soon...i'm thinking once it fulls up, give everyone 4-6 weeks to work on their sections / record....a relaxed timeframe...

where are PW and Rushfan @? I wanna hear what they got too!! wink.gif

Edited by jdouglas

Somebody call my name? smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif Here I am... I have been pretty busy since I am now a "Working Man" again, and I have also been busy restoring a Neil-sized vintage 83 Superstar (pics coming soon if I ever get the 24 inch bass drum heads).

Sounds like a great idea, count me in. I was thinking we could even do a guitar jam in the intro, would be interesting. My band did the song a long time ago, you can listen here. Maybe we can recycle some synth sounds or include a keyboard jam in there somewhere...

QUOTE (PW_Guitarist @ Feb 10 2008, 08:14 AM)
Somebody call my name? smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif Here I am... I have been pretty busy since I am now a "Working Man" again, and I have also been busy restoring a Neil-sized vintage 83 Superstar (pics coming soon if I ever get the 24 inch bass drum heads).

Sounds like a great idea, count me in. I was thinking we could even do a guitar jam in the intro, would be interesting. My band did the song a long time ago, you can listen here. Maybe we can recycle some synth sounds or include a keyboard jam in there somewhere...

sweet bro....you are in!

I don't hear much to play over until 42 secs in, but if you have some good ideas there, it's all yours....you can have up until 1:08...i'll update the standings... biggrin.gif

keyboards? I'll let 1001 answer that...I thought 16 or so guitar parts would be enough headache, but if he is game....up to him...

Hey, Choose/the/light...I'll slot you as tentative...I didn't notice you just joined this week??...lol

Would like to give the tribute or working band guitarist and some of older members a crack first....but 16 slots is a lot so I would think you are probably in...although you might lose that sweet slotting...ha.

(not that i'm the guitar police or anything...i'm all for democratic rulings on such things)

Edited by jdouglas

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Feb 11 2008, 01:44 AM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Feb 10 2008, 09:59 AM)
Would love to play along... Sadly I have nothing to record with at the moment. sad.gif

Freeware, bro... 1022.gif

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Now you just need a USB hookup!

Thaks will check it out see if there's any chance of this working for me... wink.gif

I'm in! smile.gif

I'll would like 1:33-2:13 please. I love the single notes played after the big chords ring out. I think I could improv from that quite a bit. I can really nail that sound too with my black Yamaha. It's interesting that I've never really learned that song but I know I can play it. It's one of those songs that is engraved in my brain.

Edited by rushfanNlv

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Feb 11 2008, 12:00 PM)
I'm in!  smile.gif

I'll would like 1:33-2:13 please.  I love the single notes played after the big chords ring out.  I think I could improv from that quite a bit.  I can really nail that sound too with my black Yamaha.  It's interesting that I've never really learned that song but I know I can play it.  It's one of those songs that is engraved in  my brain.

Nice bro. you are in. I'll update the list!

This could sound pretty sweet when finished. Got a good roster so far.

Any other brave / talented souls?

0:00-1:08 - PW

1:08-1:33

1:33-2:13 - rushfanNlv

2:13-2:45 - Choose/the/light

2:45-3:31

3:31-4:03

4:03-4:42

4:42-5:05

5:05-5:52 - jdouglas

5:52-6:46

6:46-7:28

7:28-7:54

7:54-8:31

8:31-9:18 - pete

9:18-10:05 - Alex solo (perhaps 2 bass players here??)

10:05-10:57

Edited by jdouglas