My band teacher says I'm famous!!

Steel Rat

My peice is FINALLY FINISHED!!!!! It's in the hands of the band director now, my concert band plays it TOMORROW!!! I'm so excited!!! common001.gif applaudit.gif common001.gif

If you haven't heard, my band director asked me if I wanted to write an orchestral peice for concert band for my school when school started. I worked my rat tail off for months. There were dramatic and emotional moments in the making, debating with myself whether or not it would be finished. I couldn't hold back the tears, it was thrashing up my heart. I was scared! And I still am! But with a bit of AGP's words of wisdom, I got back into shape and finished it! biggrin.gif

So the song is a trilogy titled "The Ship With Black Sails" and is a total of 21:24 minutes and seconds long wacko.gif However, the band is only playing a shortened version of it that's only 3:14 minutes and seconds.

The trilogy moves along like this:

1st movement- The Sojourn (6:33)

2nd movement- Into Mystery (3:50)

3rd movement- Attack (6:16)

4th movement- Great Treasures (4:45)

The shortened version has bits from Attack and Great Treasures. 125 measures, with the original peice having 913 measures. If you couldn't guess, it's about pirates! 1287.gif

So I'm anxiously waiting for what It's going to sound like... I'm nervous, because we're going to play it in concert doh.gif But I'm also very positively excited! smile.gif

That's an amazing achievement. Good for you, bro!!! Best of luck with it - I hope someone records it and you can post it here!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Thanks! biggrin.gif

I have the short version recorded and I'll post it on here once I can figure out how biggrin.gif but for now I really need to go! Thank ya'll Rush members for being such great friends! trink38.gif

WOw good job Rat!!!! sounds vereh cool....I know how hard it is to create a song from scratch myself and it takes alot of commitment. Sounds like this is going to be a rad song!!! Can't wait to hear it!!! trink36.gif trink36.gif

ok, we haven't played it yet >.< Band teacher's stalling, 'cus we have too many peices to play. The songs he wants us to play are hard and we just aren't getting it. So he pushed it to this wednesday. The concert's on February 16. We just gotta learn the other stuff first. we're playing like six other peices, and then we close with mine.

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Jan 22 2005, 10:35 AM)
ok, we haven't played it yet >.< Band teacher's stalling, 'cus we have too many peices to play. The songs he wants us to play are hard and we just aren't getting it. So he pushed it to this wednesday. The concert's on February 16. We just gotta learn the other stuff first. we're playing like six other peices, and then we close with mine.

cool! Back in the day in grades 8-9 I started playing guitar during the summer time and went into band class....except there wasn't really a place for us guitarists...there were like 3 of us and every class we would go sit in the hallways and just play what ever we wanted. Which was fine...we brought amps out into the hallway and of course teachers were starting to coming out telling us to turn it down....(I had my acoustic at the time smile.gif )of course the 3rd time we got fed up and used my friends drumstick to jar the door handles so the one teacher couldn't open them....NOW that was funny as hell! laugh.gif

rock on dude.

its good to know there are still true musicians out there, despite all the shit you hear on the radio and mtv.

composing is not an easy job. right now i am in the process of writing a cello "concerto" i guess you could call it.

tough shit.

trink39.gif hope all goes down well with that

Well, it's only a few hours away. The deciding hour is close at hand. Who knows what's going to happen??? I only hope for the BEST.

QUOTE (Steel Rat @ Jan 25 2005, 08:23 PM)
Well, it's only a few hours away. The deciding hour is close at hand. Who knows what's going to happen??? I only hope for the BEST.

few hours away....you mean your concert thing?? if so good luck!!! smile.gif

Archived