Hardest Rush song to play...

yyz

QUOTE (redstar86 @ Jan 26 2005, 02:31 PM)
On drums, I think Subdivisions would be hard because of the meter changes and Tom Sawyer would be hard because of its meter changes and because of its rapid hi-hat pattern. On bass, YYZ and La Villa Strangiato sound equally difficult. Finally on guitar, YYZ and La Villa also sound equally difficult.

yes.gif on YYZ on bass, i think that you play really fast notes on multiple strings...it looks difficult tongue.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where to start?

-The fill section in Tom Sawyer

-La Villa

-2112 (though i am getting better at it)

-Natural Science

-By Tor

-Animate

-Red Sector A

(all entries on drums)

Edited by progrush2112

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 27 2005, 07:56 PM)
I don't know if anyone on drums has ever tried, but in the car today I listened to Hemispheres and some of the parts sounded pretty complex. Any drummers here ever tried it, and what do you think of it difficulty wise? confused13.gif

Hemispheres is really easy.

Progrush...

All those songs you mentioned are my warm up songs...

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 28 2005, 12:13 AM)
No Rush....but Crazy on You by Heart is friggin insane!!! I look at the Tab and I go cross eyed! lol laugh.gif

Heart was a great band! Great writting all around.

But a TAB....please. Drumming is about feel. Listen with your ears, then play it with your hands and feet. Simple enough.

I'm a schooled musician, I can read any kind of chart for any instrument but when it comes to drumming, just listen to the recording and play it. Play it like you hear it. If you can't play it like the original...keep listening to the recording and try again, and again...!

IMO wink.gif

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jan 16 2005, 01:02 PM)
None are, but if I had to choose, I'd have to say Bravado on drums. The ending is nuts.

I thought we were talking about instruments.

The most difficult things for me to play in Rush songs are the guitar solos. Guitar is not my primary insrtument.

None of their stuff is what I would call easy, but once you understand how they think things start to open up.

My friends and I used to refer to things like the F#7 in Hemispheres and the E/G# as "Alex Lifeson chords" because he played unusual inversions of chords that no one else played (at least we thought). When he got into arpeggios things really changed.

I started studying Neil way before I tried the bass and guitar stuff. There are many Neilisms, not the least of which is his progressive groupings. By this I mean how he grows phrases over the course of a song from verse to verse and chorus to chorus. You can understand Neil's playing not so much by what he plays but rather how he's playing it.

As for Geddy, he is truly awesome. I can hear what he plays and come close to playing much of it, but his style is very instinctual and on an extremely high level. He and Neil really seem to feed off each other in their music, which I really like. Geddy has gotten simpler in terms of the notes that he plays, but the phrasing and emphesis is constantly original.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jan 28 2005, 01:54 PM)
The most difficult things for me to play in Rush songs are the guitar solos. Guitar is not my primary insrtument.
None of their stuff is what I would call easy, but once you understand how they think things start to open up.
My friends and I used to refer to things like the F#7 in Hemispheres and the E/G# as "Alex Lifeson chords" because he played unusual inversions of chords that no one else played (at least we thought). When he got into arpeggios things really changed.
I started studying Neil way before I tried the bass and guitar stuff. There are many Neilisms, not the least of which is his progressive groupings. By this I mean how he grows phrases over the course of a song from verse to verse and chorus to chorus. You can understand Neil's playing not so much by what he plays but rather how he's playing it.
As for Geddy, he is truly awesome. I can hear what he plays and come close to playing much of it, but his style is very instinctual and on an extremely high level. He and Neil really seem to feed off each other in their music, which I really like. Geddy has gotten simpler in terms of the notes that he plays, but the phrasing and emphesis is constantly original.

laugh.gif that's what I call 'em to "Alex chords". The barre chords with the top strings open are soooooooooo Alex.

It's his "phrasing" in solos that gets me. I have my natural style, natural way of "phrasing" things and his solos are just so different to my natural style. Playing his solos for me is kind of like trying to write left handed if you're right handed. Does that make any sense?

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jan 29 2005, 08:24 AM)
laugh.gif that's what I call 'em to "Alex chords". The barre chords with the top strings open are soooooooooo Alex.

It's his "phrasing" in solos that gets me. I have my natural style, natural way of "phrasing" things and his solos are just so different to my natural style. Playing his solos for me is kind of like trying to write left handed if you're right handed. Does that make any sense?

I have the same problem trying to play Steve Morse. Besides the fact that he's infinitely better than me technically, his phrasing is tough for me to get a grasp on. I don't "get" him.

But for the most part I have no trouble with Alex's solos. Though I'm not at his skill level, for some reason I can get his phrasing pretty easily.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jan 27 2005, 11:58 PM)
I don't know if anyone on drums has ever tried, but in the car today I listened to Hemispheres and some of the parts sounded pretty complex.  Any drummers here ever tried it, and what do you think of it difficulty wise?  confused13.gif

Progrush...

How long have you been playing, though? confused13.gif

(we'll be talking drums here)

LaVilla has some interesting phrasings in the first half (before the "volume pedal" guitar solo, when the drums are playing the sync beats between the hi-hat bass and snare, where you get a breather)(well for a minute) The whole END of the song (where the "jazz licks" come in are wicked to keep in time with the record (but I'm sure live they are a little free-er) up until the drum break (right before the Alex Rants) But it's balls to the wall the whole way out! (I'm usually hurting by that time)

Tom Sawyer is an exercise PERIOD! It's all stamina! The individual parts (if you reak them down into sections) aren't really hard to play, but put them all together! I get the same way towards the end of Distant Early Warning..Not a horribly hard song to play, but you definately need some CHOPS!

Back when I had the electronic set up more often, I used to mess with Red Lenses...there's a tough tune to play, (as well as The Enemy Within!) try keeping THAT ditty straight!

I haven't really messed with a whole lot of Rush in recent years, I just like to pull out my "practice tape" to "work out"!

It starts with Subdivisions to warm up, Between the Wheels (using a LEFT hand lead on the hi-hat..try it, its fun!) Distant Early Warning, YYZ, LaVilla, Tom Sawyer & Limelight..by then I need a nap! If I'm really warmed up.. I put on side 2 and play along to The Trees/Xanadu (from ESL)

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 29 2005, 04:59 PM)
I don't know if anyone on drums has ever tried, but in the car today I listened to Hemispheres and some of the parts sounded pretty complex.  Any drummers here ever tried it, and what do you think of it difficulty wise?  confused13.gif

Progrush...

Been playing drums since I was 6. Been playing Rush for only 2 years...

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jan 28 2005, 02:25 AM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 28 2005, 12:13 AM)
No Rush....but Crazy on You by Heart is friggin insane!!! I look at the Tab and I go cross eyed! lol laugh.gif

Heart was a great band! Great writting all around.

But a TAB....please. Drumming is about feel. Listen with your ears, then play it with your hands and feet. Simple enough.

I'm a schooled musician, I can read any kind of chart for any instrument but when it comes to drumming, just listen to the recording and play it. Play it like you hear it. If you can't play it like the original...keep listening to the recording and try again, and again...!

IMO wink.gif

Oh oops forgot to say for guitar.....I will not drum by tab...too confusing anyways.. laugh.gif wacko.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 29 2005, 02:59 PM)

Progrush...

trink36.gif Hemispheres for me is tough....just can't get it....but i'll practice more!

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 29 2005, 10:40 PM)
I don't know if anyone on drums has ever tried, but in the car today I listened to Hemispheres and some of the parts sounded pretty complex. Any drummers here ever tried it, and what do you think of it difficulty wise? confused13.gif

Progrush...

trink36.gif Hemispheres for me is tough....just can't get it....but i'll practice more!

Same here. Perhaps Kazz is a drumming prophet. laugh.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 30 2005, 09:26 AM)

Progrush...

pffft no doubt he is!! trink36.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jan 30 2005, 12:45 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 30 2005, 09:26 AM)

Progrush...

pffft no doubt he is!! trink36.gif

Kazz, can I have your autograph? trink39.gif

I think the most 'deceptively simply' rush song to play for me is Tom Sawyer.

Now, before you may disagree, let me state my case:

I've been playing on and off for about ten years, and felt that I could muddle my way through most rush tunes. But Sawyer always proved a challenge.

Why I wondered. It's not really technically difficult!

It's because it's so freekin' fast on the high hat. And the only way to play it is to develop that right handle to play that speed comfortably (i.e. not stressed). This takes time!!! lots and lots of time and practice.

There are definatley fills and patterns in other songs that present more complexity.

Maybe it's not the most difficult to play, but it sure has taken a long time to work up the speed and stamina for it.

Just thought i'd share my thoughts on the subject.

biggrin.gif

Jacobs Ladder hands down.