Quitting smoking

Slaine mac Roth

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For anyone who is considering quitting smoking, I certainly would recommend going to a group like New Leaf. The suppost you get there certainly goes a long way to getting you in the right state of mind to quit.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 19 2005, 02:40 PM)
In case I haven't said it before, I'd just like to thank eveyone here for their supposrt. It ain't easy, but I'm determined.

Here's a quote from another 3 piece Canadian rock band:

Nothing is easy, nothing good is free

But I can tell you where to start

Take a look inside your heart

There's an answer in your heart

You can do it Slaine!!

Sounds like you're doing all the right things Slaine. It's good that you went to the support group - frame of mind is probably your strongest weapon. I hate to sound Tony Robbins (movitational dude).... but one of the things I was told was to keep myself in the mindset that I controlled MY body, NOT cigarettes. So look within yourself (go to "that" place in your mind)... pinch your thumb and forefinger together as a trigger of power that shoots through you... and tell yourself "I control MY body, NOT cigarettes. I'm taking MY body BACK."

It's a hypnosis tool - so breathe deeply - eyes closed - get to that place - pinch - and repeat. "I control MY body, NOT cigarettes. I'm taking MY body BACK."

ASSUME CONTROL

Good luck Slaine, I know you can do it. Feel good about doing part in keeping health insurance costs down for everyone. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I've recently just passed my one year anniversary "smoke free". There are still times that I would like to have a cigarette, but that feeling passes and I forget about wanting one.

Although this shouldn't be the primary reason for quitting smoking, the fact I've saved so much money by not purchasing cigarettes is motivation certainly for not lighting up again.

Oh, and I can request the "non-smoking" section of restaurants with pride now. 653.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 20 2005, 04:42 PM)
Although this shouldn't be the primary reason for quitting smoking, the fact I've saved so much money by not purchasing cigarettes is motivation certainly for not lighting up again.

Dude - the money I save from not buying cigs is a vacation a year for my family of five. A VACATION A YEAR. That's movitation, brother - no question.

Now my wife needs to quit - that will be a true financial blessing. The health benefit needs no mention.

OH and btw - Slaine.... You'll really know you've conquered the cravings and the habit when you no longer want one after meals, while having drinks, and after sex (or during, depending on what you're into wink.gif).

Paganoman,

I quit smoking while I was still a Boston resident. It cost a whopping $6.00 a pack and it just wasn't worth it since I smoked nearly a whole pack per day.

Another reason too, is that I was getting self-conscious about the smell getting into my clothes. When I would take the "T" (subway) home, I worried that people could smell the stale cigarette smoke on my clothes. Cigarette smoke gets into EVERYTHING.

Even now, our apartment is smoke free and I hope to keep it that way!

heh, story about my snowboarding friend. Her mom smokes alot and of course smoke gets into everything like CT said. People were accusing her of smoking when it was just her clothes, not her!! she was vereh upset sad.gif and I told her that if you told your mom what you just said to me...I bet you she would try and stop or at least smoke less or something wacko.gif

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Jan 20 2005, 06:10 PM)
Hey D-13 ... does she smoke in the house around the kids?

ALso, kudos to all who are quitting!!!!

Yea sadly she does sad.gif You would think she would be concerned for her children!?!?

Well, quitting smoking nearly two weeks ago has cetainly helped me today. I've had to have a tooth out and the dentist told me no smoking. If I hadn't have quit when I did I'd really be climbing the walls by now.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 21 2005, 03:50 PM)
Well, quitting smoking nearly two weeks ago has cetainly helped me today. I've had to have a tooth out and the dentist told me no smoking. If I hadn't have quit when I did I'd really be climbing the walls by now.

Good work Slaine!!! Sounds like you are well on your way to being cool10.gif FREE!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif trink39.gif

Archived