Quitting smoking

Slaine mac Roth

I seem to remember a few people on the board saying that, like me, they're quitting smoking at this time (sorry to keep going on about it but it does feature rather largely in my mind at the moment).

Perhaps it would be a good idea for all of us doing this to come here for mutual support and let each know how we're doing. I know I had a bad time last night and it was only being on TRF that got me through it (thanks T4VS).

So, what do you think?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Slaine, I think this is a wonderful idea. I myself have never smoked... but my sister does so, and I've been around addiction my whole life with several people in my family battling it at some point. My sister has tried several times to slow down and quit, but has had a very hard time with it. We are all here for you, Slaine... let us know what we can do for ya... whether it be scream with you... .cry with you....or what have you smile.gif

I'm in the same boat, it's a great idea to have support, that's for sure!

Slaine, keep going mate - Day 3 cant be any worse than Day 2. My ex used to smoke and she did quite well - she used the chewing gum. It was still hard for her though.

"Just one cigarette"...."won't do any harm..." I hear you say.

Leave That Cigarette Alone! Slaine.

cool10.gif

Hang in there Slaine. I quit 10 years ago. It will get easier. Don't dwell on the fact you've quit, just work on getting thru each craving as it comes.

Same for you Tunefreak.

YOU GUYS CAN DO IT!!!!

19.gif to cigarettes

On a side note, the cigar thing does actually work. I smoked a cigar after 18 months of no cigarettes. I have never had a craving for a cigarette again. I wouldn't suggest the cigars until after you've been offf cigs for a while though.

Well, I got the weekend but only just. The worst cravings came on Sunday afternoon when I had nothing to do. I was round at my in-laws so I didn't have my guitar with me to take my mind off it. Back at work today and no problems.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 17 2005, 09:27 AM)
Alas, I've got to say that I had my first bout of bad temper yesterday when I snapped at my wife over nothing. Luckily, she doesn't bear a grudge.

She's probably you're biggest supporter right now, very understanding of her. Keep up the good work Slaine!!! I have been giving serious thoughts to quitting myself lately. Maybe your story will give me the inspiration I need! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I've had my worst day of all today.

My nicotine patch came off some time during the night so, when I woke up, I really wanted a cigarette. Unfortunately, the desire didn't subside until about 5pm. The cravings may not have been as strong as they have been, but, when they are constant over an 11 period, they can do a lot to wear away your resistance.

However, I'm glad to say I held firm and have now managed a week without smoking.

I'm feeling rather pleased with myself

Well, its been another smoke free day and I'm past the first week. I think the problem I'm having is that I'm getting all the discomfort (nicotine withdrawal, dry mouth, disturbed sleep) but am not seeing any of the benefits (improved taste and smell, better lungpower, more money) yet.

But I will persevere.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Jan 19 2005, 09:13 AM)
Keep it up Slaine - I'm seriously thinking of embarking down that road (again) myself very soon.

You and me both!!! I have been a smoker since I was 13 years old and have never really tried to quit!!! no.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jan 19 2005, 12:52 PM)
QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Jan 19 2005, 09:13 AM)
Keep it up Slaine - I'm seriously thinking of embarking down that road (again) myself very soon.

You and me both!!! I have been a smoker since I was 13 years old and have never really tried to quit!!! no.gif

Me too..I was 15 years old..38 now..WAY too long to be smoking. I never tried to quit seriously either til recently.. and I only made it 5 friggen days before I caved in and smoked again...its a hard addiction to get a grip on, especially after SO many years doing it.

Archived