That's it i quit!

softfilter

The Silmarillion is a tough read indeed, but being a huge LOTR fan I managed it, and even more than once - I had to cos I chose Tolkien as the theme of my academic studies. Wasn't that bad...

But being a language student, I am quite ashamed to admit that I just can't bear to touch such things as any of the Bronte sisters, Dickens, in fact anything that can be labelled "realism".. Shakespeare is another thing to feel guilty about. Kinda liked the Tempest but probably only because it was sort of fantasy-ish. Maybe I just can't relate to any of that cos it was written so long ago...

The most vivid memory of not being able to finish the book (I actually gave up on page 14!) was Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment. Being Russian, I have often wondered why he is so hugely popular amongst young people in the West. For me it was like wading through knee-deep sand - the language was so heavy. Maybe it acquires something fascinating in translation, I dunno.

Another unfinished (or shall I say barely begun) book was Hemingway's Farewell to Arms. I picked it up as part of my undergraduate course, read a couple of pages and thought "I know exatly what you're on about here, I don't need to read anymore". I could have gone on cos I related to the sentiment, but the style didn't grab me...

I just stick to my sci-fi, some fantasy and other non-realism. It got me where I had aimed for...

I agree...Silmarillion was a tough one, but a must for any Tolkien reader.

I like the stuff about Numenor best.

I had this looney idea that I might begin and finish "Remembrance of Things Past" by Marcel Proust this year. (For anyone who doesn't know, it's actually seven volumes long, and is considered one of the greatest literary achievements ever!)

Yeah. I got about thirty or sixty pages into the first volume ("Swann's Way") and gave up already. I still think I'd like to read the whole thing before I die, but this wasn't the year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_of_things_past

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 10 2009, 06:53 PM)

I got about thirty or sixty pages into the first volume and gave up.

I did the same with Harry Potter.

QUOTE (Jenzin @ Sep 15 2008, 09:22 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 14 2008, 12:43 PM)
QUOTE (Jenzin @ Aug 19 2008, 01:44 PM)
I don't know if Catcher in the Rye is considered a classic or not, but I cannot finish that one either. 

It is a classic, and I can't believe anyone could not finish it. I've read it at least three times in my life.

Perhaps it helps to first read it as a "misunderstood" and disaffected teenager. Holden Caulfield thinks everyone's a "phony," and everybody I knew in school really related to the book.

Maybe I'll give it another try with that in mind. I didn't read it in high school, my first experience with the book was as a thirty-three year old college student a few years back. The relation part just wasn't there for me.

Definitely a better read as an angry young man. If you're over 30, no need to go back and read it...unless you kid's reading it. I'm experiencing that right now, re-reading books from my youth as my daughter goes through school. It's pretty fun.

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Oct 7 2008, 12:39 AM)
Pride and Prejudice

I can't read it.

I just can't get into it. I really can't.

Makes for a much better movie script.

QUOTE (attn deficiency. @ Sep 12 2008, 10:20 PM)
I tried to read Life of Pi.  It was awful.  I wanted to gouge out my eyes instead of reading it, but unfortunately it was required for school over this summer.

Too bad you didn't like it. I really enjoyed it. Lots to think about.

Let me ask you: Do you think he was hallucinating or did the fantasy really occur?

Edited by goose

Don't read this book>>> Every Contact Leaves A Trace by Elanor Dymott .... unless you wanna waste 7 hours of your precious time wading through 395 pages of long-winded verbose crap. It's a murder mystery. The author doesn't even tell you who did it. She gives 3 potential suspects, but she doesn't tell you who actually did it. In the end, I wanted to throw the stupid book into the fireplace. I would have too, if it didn't belong to the public library. Thank God I didn't waste my money on it.

I tried to read Life of Pi. It was awful. I wanted to gouge out my eyes instead of reading it, but unfortunately it was required for school over this summer.

but the movie was good.

I couldn't get through A Confederacy Of Dunces. Just didn't care for any of the characters enough to want to know what would happen to them next.

In my top 3 books EVER. Hilarious & unputdownable.

Absofuckinglutely

Confederacy

Catch 22

Portrait of the Artist As A Young Man

• Like 2

Has anyone read Dos Passos? I started reading the 42nd parallel with the thought of reading the USA trilogy. I think I got 30-40 pages into it and was wtf? Should I try again?
  • Like 1

Gravity's Rainbow, by Thomas Pynchon.

I was excited to start it; I was really looking forward to it. But I don't think I ever finished it. I can remember reading parts of it and thinking why, why did I do this to myself??

A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James

Only read the first 4 chapters. It is set in Jamaica where a gang is trying to assassinate a Bob Marley type singer. The part I read is very dense, with lots of characters and, especially, different language dialects and subplots going on. It was very hard to keep everything straight so I didn't mind when It was due back at the library.

Has anyone read Dos Passos? I started reading the 42nd parallel with the thought of reading the USA trilogy. I think I got 30-40 pages into it and was wtf? Should I try again?

I just read Three Soldiers in December. Pretty good, although the use of dialects is a bit challenging.

What are you finding challenging in what you're reading?

I tried to read Life of Pi. It was awful. I wanted to gouge out my eyes instead of reading it, but unfortunately it was required for school over this summer.

but the movie was good.

I'm surprised. I think both are good.

Me, too.