NWW Rocking Our Way

The Captain

So, my band auditioned in early December and cleared the bar as the first girl band to play at our high school's annual Battle of the Bands. We did this with only one song, "What You're Doing" from Rush's first album, whereas all the others that made it had four, on average.

We played last night, our very first gig. Which in itself was good, as our drummer was taken out of commission two weeks ago. Left with a shaky set list and 33.33% of the band confined to a hospital, our only option was to turn to another of our good friends, who plays the bass and has never actually practiced the drums before. (A decision that paid off, as I'll get to)

We got together every night, and compacted our set as best we could:

"What You're Doing"

"You and I Both"- Jason Mraz (Kinda poppy, but our previous drummer insisted we learn it, and we weren't about to be choosy! smile.gif )

"Soul One"- Blind Melon

"Revolution"- The Beatles

We took third place, under the returning champs, an Indie-Pop fusion group that sounded pretty good, and a local Screamo "Death Chord" confused13.gif group with a record deal.

Pretty good, right? Anyway, we played the only non-screamo, classic rock, so we were pretty psyched. And a girl band up there playing 2.gif was pretty singular, heh heh.

Anyway, does anyone have any other stories like this? I thought it'd be cool to have a thread for New World Women, or just rocker-chicks in general, to share their stories on making their way in a pretty male-oriented musical field.

I used to sing for bands... they were all guys though. I can't sing very many Rush songs, my voice is Alto, I just can't sing Geddy Lee style what so ever... my voice is kind of like a female version of Layne Staley sometimes, depends on the song. One band I was in we tried to do the Spirit of the Radio... it was pretty hilarious.

But yeah, good for you girls!

2.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Feb 1 2008, 08:34 PM)
I sing to Geddy while driving in the car unsure.gif

OMG Me too!! laugh.gif

Archived