Dog Years

Alsgalpal

This song is not one of my favorites for sure, but its the only one they have ever done, that I don't really care for. Lyrically I don't like it, but do listen for the music, and because they made it. But thats just me.

Great music, shame about the words.

The concept/them is fine, but the words are clumsy, and when Geddy enunciates phrases like "Sad son of a bitch", it's just wrong.

I think it was the first time I heard him sing about canines in doggie heaven, I just though "Neil did not write that". Actually he did, but he, everyone is allowed one farg up!!!

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Jan 14 2005, 12:08 PM)
Great music, shame about the words.

The concept/them is fine, but the words are clumsy, and when Geddy enunciates phrases like "Sad son of a bitch", it's just wrong.

I think it was the first time I heard him sing about canines in doggie heaven, I just though "Neil did not write that". Actually he did, but he, everyone is allowed one farg up!!!

Agreed. The lyrics on this song, like Virtuality, make it unlistenable to me.

The things make this song ok for me to get through:

1st are the lyrics that read:

I'd rather be a tortoise from Galapagos

Or a span of geological time

It's so true as a comparison to how fast our lives seem to pass, and I think these two short lines speak volumes.

2nd is the drum part. After watching Neil pick it apart on A Work In Progress - the song itself just became so much more interesting from the understanding behind it.

062802puke_prv.gif

simply the worst they have ever done. The album might just stand a little credibility if it had been left off altogether.

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 14 2005, 02:38 PM)
062802puke_prv.gif

simply the worst they have ever done. The album might just stand a little credibility if it had been left off altogether.

agreed! 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 14 2005, 08:01 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 14 2005, 02:55 PM)
I don't

Go on then Slaine, why do you like it?

Look a couple of posts above yours. I don't know why, it just seems to tickle something inside me. In addition, there's a sponteneity (probably spelled wrong) about that I like, especially when you consider the torture neil goes through writing his lyrics (he's commented on that in various places). The fact that the lyrics to Dog Years seem to have been dashed off in a couple of hours majke a nice contrast.

To paraphrase the Rolling Stones, 'I know its only Dog Years but I like it.'

Yeah, it could be that you need a sense of humor to appreciate the lyrics of Dog Years. wink.gif Or maybe, if you just like analogies.... unsure.gif Or maybe, you just like a$$-kickin Rock N Roll? common001.gif

I can't be sure exactly what it is, but I love it. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

With his tail between his ears.... laugh.gif

I've never understood why so many Rush fans pan this song. The lyrics are flipping BRILLIANT! The controlled mixing of metaphors is outstanding, and it's probably the best song to peer into Neil's sense of humor. He's also always writing about Time, and this song offers perhaps his most profound view of it.

Listen to it again.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 14 2005, 05:54 PM)
QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 14 2005, 08:01 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 14 2005, 02:55 PM)
I don't

Go on then Slaine, why do you like it?

Look a couple of posts above yours. I don't know why, it just seems to tickle something inside me. In addition, there's a sponteneity (probably spelled wrong) about that I like, especially when you consider the torture neil goes through writing his lyrics (he's commented on that in various places). The fact that the lyrics to Dog Years seem to have been dashed off in a couple of hours majke a nice contrast.

To paraphrase the Rolling Stones, 'I know its only Dog Years but I like it.'

laugh.gif Fair enough. The words make me cringe really, suppose I never gave it enough chance maybe.

QUOTE (Singularity @ Jan 15 2005, 05:08 AM)
I've never understood why so many Rush fans pan this song. The lyrics are flipping BRILLIANT! The controlled mixing of metaphors is outstanding, and it's probably the best song to peer into Neil's sense of humor. He's also always writing about Time, and this song offers perhaps his most profound view of it.

Listen to it again.

goodpost.gif You nailed it bro!!

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jan 15 2005, 09:17 AM)
I've never understood why so many Rush fans pan this song.  The lyrics are flipping BRILLIANT!  The controlled mixing of metaphors is outstanding, and it's probably the best song to peer into Neil's sense of humor.  He's also always writing about Time, and this song offers perhaps his most profound view of it.

Listen to it again.

goodpost.gif You nailed it bro!!

I agree! goodpost.gif

I've never understood why so many Rush fans pan this song.  The lyrics are flipping BRILLIANT!  The controlled mixing of metaphors is outstanding, and it's probably the best song to peer into Neil's sense of humor.  He's also always writing about Time, and this song offers perhaps his most profound view of it.

Listen to it again.

Well put Sing! One of the things I've always loved about these guys is their ability to take themselves lightly! Their sense of humor. I believe it is one of the single biggest factors that has kept these guys together and happy for sooo long! I love to see them interact on stage, some of the best stuff to watch, to me. And it's the same for songs like Dog Years. Just having fun together in the studio. I love to hear that! Like they say: "In the dog days People look to Sirius".... lighten up and enjoy a great little song for what it is.... the guys just wanna have fun! 653.gif

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Jan 15 2005, 02:57 PM)

Listen to it again.

Well put Sing! One of the things I've always loved about these guys is their ability to take themselves lightly! Their sense of humor. I believe it is one of the single biggest factors that has kept these guys together and happy for sooo long! I love to see them interact on stage, some of the best stuff to watch, to me. And it's the same for songs like Dog Years. Just having fun together in the studio. I love to hear that! Like they say: "In the dog days People look to Sirius".... lighten up and enjoy a great little song for what it is.... the guys just wanna have fun! 653.gif

All I say is it is a good song, lyrics odd, good sense of humor. biggrin.gif

Archived