Who do you admire?

deamhain

..and I'm not talking "ooh, he/she's luurvly"!

I'll give you a taster of what I mean. Here's a short list of mine - I admire some of them while disagreeing with much of what they stood or stand for. This is a 'qualities' thing rather than a "I like them because they think the same as me" kind of thing. Probably borne out by some apparent contradictions in my list:

Ronnie (ultrasonic) Reagan

The 80's were my decade and that man had balls. I'm going on a foreigners view here so if his internal policies were a pile of mince - NMP

Maggie

If you need more explanation as to who this is you're too young. Hated for everything from poll tax to that hair style. Why do I admire her then? See Ronnie. And she had more of them.

Gordon Brown

Possibly because I used to be a Labour Party member in my youth in his constituency and cmpaigned for him a lot. Mostly however because I've always considered him a man of principles. Whereas, as for Tony...we don't have enough space.

John Smith

I'm a Scot from a working class background. If you don't know who this is, spend some time on Google!

Ok, enough politics..others

Craig and Charlie Reid

They hail from a village about 6 miles from where I used to live. They sing in their own dialect. I admire that in anyone.

Juliett Turner

A Northern Ireland Lass but see above.

Neil Whatsisface - the drummer with that Canadian band wink.gif

I'm a guitarist, not a drummer. My admiration for this man is quiet, only partly about his drumming and surely needs no further explanation.

Stephen Hawking

I mean, how can you not?

And finally for now..

John Peel

For those of you not lucky enough to grow up listening to this giant of the airwaves. You'll never, ever know what his recent untimely death has deprived us all of. Teenage Dreams, So hard to beat RIPJP

So..what's yours???

Bob

Neil Peart - he writes in a way that touches my heart and challenges my mind, plus his talent as a drummer

Steven Spielberg - phenomenal director, one of those "people I'd love to hang out with" kinda guys

Barbara Belisle - my HS English teacher - she was a strong, independent woman who introduced me to great books, and who told me I should write more smile.gif

My sons - my oldest for reminding me how much fun it is to laugh, and my youngest for teaching me how important each little victory is

I definitely agree with Stephen Hawking - the man has been a great inspiration to many.

Patrick Moore - despite his age, he maintains an almost childlike enthusiasm and, having met him, is a true gentleman.

Christopher Lee - a man of great talent and enourmous personal charisma.

Morgan Freeman - one of the greatest actors of our generation who carries himself with a dignity that is rarely seen these days.

JRR Tolkien - writer of the book of the last century and singlehanded creator of an English mythology

Leo Fender - the man responsible for the electric guitar as we know it today.

A lot of obvious people, but right now, I'd plump for -

The men and women of the ESB (electricity company) who spent the night before last battling in 80 -100 mph winds so I could wake up the next morning in a warm house and have my morning coffee before starting work.

The people of Midleton in County Cork, where in the most horrific crime this country has seen in decades, an 11 year old boy was apparently abducted nine days ago. His body was found in woods eight miles from his home yesterday. Over 1,000 people in the area searched constantly over those intervening days.

Christopher Brookmyre / Colin Bateman - Two writers who, like Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams (RIP) have a wickedly warped sense of humour and the ability to write passage which simultaneously horrify me and leave me laughing out loud.

RushRevisited, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1, GG, Ken & Julie (CP) and others who spend hours creating and maintaining boards like this so we can share our disjointed thoughts and bring our appreciation of Rush to a whole new level.

Kofi Annan - The Morgan Freeman of international politics.

People who struggle to make ends meet on council housing estates and deprived areas without getting involved in crime for which they then blame the system, the government and everything and everyone but themselves.

Matt Groening - No elaboration needed.

NPG and Chas - I'd been monitoring their progress on CP before TRF was launched, and the way they've trusted each other (and themselves) is both an inspiration and a testament to the fact that in a world laden with cynicism and tragedy, romance and beauty is not dead.

Anyone who's overcome whatever obstacles life's thrown in their path and just got up, dusted themselves off and got on with it.

Volunteers, be it in the community, the Samaratins, Red Cross, St Johns Ambulance, local fire services, RNLI (lifeboat service), Civil Defence - the sort of people who help for little or n o reward for no reason other than they believe it's the right thing to do.

You, if you've managed to get this far without either rofl3.gif or 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Jan 13 2005, 07:52 PM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Jan 14 2005, 12:16 AM)
What's his name?---the inventor of the vibrator

Oh yeah, couldn't live without it.

Roger Rabbit??????

Welsh Rarebit?

Sounds a bit cheesy to me.

Taking this thread back to topic..... wink.gif

I admire my Daddy, and my friends here, and the ones that are flying down to Asia to help others. I admire the people that take in foster children, and love them like their own. I admire the nurses, that offer so much care when you are sick or hurting. I admire friends that offer their hearts to you unconditionally, I can only hope that I can be as good as they are.

My mom - who beat breast cancer

Our men and woman in the armed forces who keep us safe

Mother Teresa for her dedication to the poor, regardless of their faith

Judi Dench for her class and grace, a great actress

and Rush because they've been able to maintain a successful career in music without making asses of themselves in the tabloids or degrading women in their songs.

As much as I call my father an asswhole sometimes, I do admire the person he is and how he made us.

Sure he kicked me and my brothers' asses more often than we deserved, but my mom and him came to Canada each with nothing and a grade 4 education. They managed to work their asses off for us, and eventually buy a house.

They sold the house with a risk of owning their own business. My parents hardly spent any time with us. They did little to teach us (family-wise). As a matter of fact they made us work at the business, long hours and treated us like crap. The job sucked, and most customers were not pleasant to deal with.

Because of that, we "stuck" together as a family. The business flourised and they are now retired. I learned a lot about business, not from going to university and getting my business degree, but I learned it from him.

Archived