The Body Electric

Alsgalpal

Ok, new song for the day, even tho its not a new day here yet, it is for you easterners. tongue.gif

I love the bow bow on the bass, so sharp and crisp, and the chang on Alex's guitar, so airy anc clean. and the drums, well, they just rock. I love the whole song. biggrin.gif I think I May just rock out to it now, always a 2.gif time! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Jan 13 2005, 01:01 AM)
Ok, new song for the day, even tho its not a new day here yet, it is for you easterners. tongue.gif

I love the bow bow on the bass, so sharp and crisp, and the chang on Alex's guitar, so airy anc clean. and the drums, well, they just rock. I love the whole song. biggrin.gif I think I May just rock out to it now, always a 2.gif time! laugh.gif

--ditto-- 'nuff said, best album, one of the best songs on it. My GUP CD is worn out I've played it so much smile.gif

GUP is one of my favourites and is in the changer now, but BE is what the skip button was invented for.

This was released as the single for some bizarre reason, I guess the record company thought the Body Electric title sounded like it was an electro tune, which was big at the time, and someone might buy it on that.

TBE is probably my least favourite track on p/g. Lyrically, I don't think it works, and while the rhythmic structure is interesting, the words don't do it for me at all.

The fact that IMO the video for the song was a steaming plate of rice doesn't help endear it to me either.

Not a bad song, but by no stretch of the imagination is it a great one.

It is a bloody fantastic song

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Very inventive and a welcome return to a more progressive sound after the somewhat poppy sound of the still excellent GUP album.

Never seen the video

Excellent bass work one of my fav's to play along to.

I wonder if that lame-ass movie Short Circut was inspired by this song at all? If it was, leave it to hollywood to make such a travesty out of a Rush song, if only indirectly.

I have always enjoyed listening to the song, for the great sounds in it, and the story it tells. Neil takes you on a journey with almost every song, he is such a fantastic writer... When you listen to the song, you can picture everything...

QUOTE (Sark @ Jan 14 2005, 07:48 AM)
I wonder if that lame-ass movie Short Circut was inspired by this song at all? If it was, leave it to hollywood to make such a travesty out of a Rush song, if only indirectly.

That's so funny - that silly movie popped into my mind as well as an example of the times with this song.

I gotta tell ya (and I love the song... today)...

but I wasn't doing too well with this album when I first gave it a listen. And when I first heard "One humanoid escapee" and "Android on the run" and "Unit One's in trouble and it's scared out of it's wits"... I was done. WTF was all I could come out with.

But again, I first heard this song in 1992 and that whole 80's view of the "not so distant future" was so over.

Over time the lyrics were just not that big a deal to listen to.... and the song just got more and more enjoyable to hear. Now.... it rocks!!! I love everything about it. laugh.gif

It was a personal lesson to not question the band. My limited scope is not their fault, nor their problem. no.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Jan 14 2005, 04:53 PM)
"Who's Johnny, she said, and smiled int hat special way"... LOL Who sang that from that movie? Was a weird name, I cannot remember laugh.gif

I'm going to embarrass myself because I know the answer.

El Debarge

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Jan 14 2005, 04:03 PM)
LOL That's IT!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

I bet you're a member of the ElDebarge forum too rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

You mean you're not?

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

I AM NOT A MEMBER!!!!! mad.gif mad.gif

I'm a Mod!! laugh.gif

I'm just the opposite. I didn't used to like it when it was first released (or anything else on GUP except for DEW,) but now that I can imagine what a "hundred years of routines" must feel like, I have a whole new appreciation for it. yes.gif

I have a whole new appreciation for a LOT of things these days...Rolling the Bones and all...ya' know. 653.gif

I always liked the older stuff, but was "hurt" when they cut their hair. laugh.gif (what a fool I used to be)

I'm glad they never took advice from 13 year olds. biggrin.gif

I wondered for a while, if I only like the stuff they wrote as I became the age they were when they wrote it...if that makes any sense. But that can't be true, because Vapor Trails is the BEST (and I'm not yet 50ish.)

I feel like a olla sudden, I really GET it. Maybe not, but I definitely FEEL something. So, I figure that's a step in the right direction. cool.gif

Positive, forward motion. wink.gif

My experience with this tune may be a little different than others, as P/G was the new album as I was just getting into Rush. I devoured this album, and loved every tune on it. The story and video for Body Electric are etched in my mind forever. Even though I knew of Rush beforehand, this was the album and tour that made me a die-hard fan forever.

The drums, although pretty mundane compared to Neils' other parts, were completely different that what he had been doing at the time. 1001001 aside, the lyrics we telling a pretty interesting story. I don't know, I just like this song smile.gif

Kevin

QUOTE (Batman @ Jan 14 2005, 07:15 PM)
Sadly I can't listen to this song anymore.
I use to love it.
Seems to be inspired by Isacic Asimov at least thats what it always use to be to mind when I heard it.

PS El Debarge Rules! and you all know it!
yes.gif http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/debarge_el/bio.jhtml

The rythm of the night, dance until the mornin' light! biggrin.gif common001.gif

QUOTE (Sark @ Jan 17 2005, 05:10 AM)
QUOTE (Batman @ Jan 14 2005, 07:15 PM)
Sadly I can't listen to this song anymore.
I use to love it.
Seems to be inspired by Isacic Asimov at least thats what it always use to be to mind when I heard it.

PS  El Debarge Rules! and you all know it!
yes.gif  http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/debarge_el/bio.jhtml

The rythm of the night, dance until the mornin' light! biggrin.gif common001.gif

common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif

Archived