2008 - 07/09 - Toronto, ON - The Molson Amphitheatre

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jul 9 2008, 10:25 AM)
QUOTE (PhilCastro @ Jul 8 2008, 08:13 PM)
Me and Tark just checked into our hotel!

Gettin excited biggrin.gif

Shout Out to 2.gif Mecca!!! notworthy.gif

Hope you guys have a rockin' time of it!!!

Make us proud!!!!

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

Tark - - the T-man's in trouble for not getting your pic! Damn!!! Too frenetic before the show, eh????!!!!????? laugh.gif And tell that fun buddy of yours to sign up already!!! He belongs here!!!

Oh and Phil - - try NOT to talk-up the Yanks on Jaybird turf!!! That would be rude! rofl3.gif ph34r.gif bolt.gif

Hare biggrin.gif

all i can say about that show is ohmy.gif

1022.gif

Toronto was pretty cool, too. Although I'm glad that I'll be headin back to the states in a few hours. Too crazy of a city wacko.gif

Hare, sorry we couldnt hang out with yous longer, we broke away from my father because my buddy wanted to go out for a smoke and I went with him. So we stopped to see you folks on the way back. There are plenty of pics from Toronto, though. Kid_Gloves and Ya_Big_Tree will be uploading a lot for sure laugh.gif

anyway im freakin tired.

THE SHOW WAS WICKED!!!!, except that I went into the "no re-entry" zone by mistake. The guy at the gate was very rude and unsympthetic. fists crying.gif I bought a lawn seat just to get back in (and go to my original seat in the 400s). angry.gif angry.gif I told the guy what I thought of him and the other bitch who said she heard me acknowledge that I agreed I was leaving for the night. (I walked through an opening in the gate which a forklift was going through, so I never came in contact with any staff.

Awesome show!! Wow, that may have been the best performance I've seen in my life! Hard to compare to last year's one at the ACC. But let me tell ya -- they certainly weren't just "going through the motions" tonight! Alex and Ged seemed pretty animated. Some funny stuff there, too! Remarks, etc. biggrin.gif

Had a blast! 1022.gif

The crowd was good, too. 99% was standing the whole time, and everyone just looked like they were having a great time. It's great to see that, especially in Toronto. smile.gif

QUOTE (ifloveremains @ Jul 10 2008, 10:39 AM)
Was anyone else here in the group up front with the inflatable monkeys? The guys just loved it, they were laughing and everything. I waved mine for the whole song, woohoo. biggrin.gif

Oh, man, I saw those! laugh.gif Pretty sure they were at the ACC last year but not as many. I wanted one of those things though. Should've had a canon shooting 'em up to the 301st section! laugh.gif

QUOTE (ifloveremains @ Jul 10 2008, 10:39 AM)
Was anyone else here in the group up front with the inflatable monkeys? The guys just loved it, they were laughing and everything. I waved mine for the whole song, woohoo. biggrin.gif

Lmao, that's amazing, I totally saw those from where I was sitting....

I had 202's, it was rockin from back tehre laugh.gif

Everyone in front of me sat, too, for at least half of the first set list... biggrin.gif

So I could see them all perfectly. laugh.gif

Got asked to sit too, me and my boyfriend and the other guy standing

next to me by a bunch of kids....apparently it was their first concert...

and they wanted to sit. no.gif

I was like "tell them to get up and rock out to Rush then!". Pfff.

It was also awesome meeting some follow TRF'ers. trink39.gif

I first noticed Different_Strings in the front, and at intermission I made

a security guy go get him laugh.gif sorry mate; I just realized if I never said

hello I would never have the chance ever again.

Then after the show, after looking for her the WHOLE time, I found YAYA!

Which she was with GM, and lead me to D-Rock (you two are awesome laugh.gif )

Unfortuantely I didn't see Tark ot Phil, but maybe another time. sad.gif

I hope everyone had a BLAST!! biggrin.gif

Here is the article from the Toronto Sun about the show smile.gif

Was There Any Doubt?

Legendary Canadian rockers Rush blew away their fans last night at the Amphitheatre

By: Jason Macneil

Rush has never been a band that rushes through its music in concert.

Intricate playing, challenging song structures, lyrics that don't quite fit simple rhyme schemes and tracks that often stretch into six minutes make for a lengthy prog-rock marathon as opposed to any semblance of a fast-paced sprint.

So with the trio of singer-bassist Geddy Lee, guitarist Alex Lifeson and drummer Neil Peart hitting the homestretch of their Snakes & Arrows world tour with a homecoming show at Toronto's Molson Amphitheatre last night, the group proved once again that they might be getting long in the tooth, but when it comes to musicality there are few who can match them.

Beginning their roughly 160-minute, two-set journey with a video introduction and the strong Limelight, the group relied on Lee's high-register wails, Peart's constant pounding and precise fills and Lifeson's guitar work which at times resembled that of Pink Floyd's David Gilmour.

After the stellar, well-oiled Digital Man and the somewhat slower but heady Ghost of a Chance, Lee acknowledged the crowd quickly, stating that they were about to play "a ton of songs."

And they did just that, with the first half composed primarily of classics such as Mission and Freewill, the latter getting a huge ovation once the lyrical portion was done and the instrumental closing began.

With a backdrop that featured three video screens, lasers, the odd fireball and pyrotechnics (not to mention three chicken rotisserie ovens), Rush kept the energy going for the rabid, near-capacity crowd during The Larger Bowl and the leaner, mainstream rock feel of Red Barchetta which Lee said dated back to when "you guys probably had mullets."

Just before a well-deserved 30-minute intermission which Lee said was "due to the fact we're no longer spring chickens," Rush also nailed The Trees as Peart's large drum kit spun 180 degrees to show yet more surfaces to beat upon.

Probably to drive the fact home that they were touring behind a relatively new album, Rush opened the second half with a large batch of new material beginning with Far Cry. Although the volume seemed to reach another level for some reason, a few tunes fell short such as Workin' Them Angels and Spindrift.

Fortunately there were a few gems here, especially the edgier Armor and Sword and the great The Way the Wind Blows, a meaty, winding rock number that would not be out of place on Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti album.

From there Rush went back to the "veteran" songs starting with Subdivisions from 1982's Signals album and Natural Science. Yet the highlight of the second half and perhaps the evening was none of Lee's or Lifeson's doing.

Neil Peart went to work on a lengthy drum solo that was equal parts rock, ambient and jazz. Toss in some excellent tight camera shots of him hard at work and it was easy to see why he got such a loud, standing ovation.

Rush began rounding out the evening with the signature warhorses. The Spirit of Radio went over strong while Tom Sawyer, introduced by a video featuring South Park characters in the band Lil Rush, capped off the main portion of a roughly 90-minute second half.

Perhaps the only drawback with this current leg of touring is the fact that most of the show is not a huge surprise. A few changes from the 2007 set list were made but basically the recent Snakes & Arrows Live album release is what was performed on this go around.

Regardless, it's quite refreshing to see three musicians play their own instruments so well for so long.

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

Here's some crappy pictures (cell phone cam lol) and a video from Red Barchetta I took for Taylor; although you can't hear the song so I would just mute your volume. :thumbsup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/Padfootish/Image032.jpg

Drum solo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/Padfootish/Image031.jpg

During the first set...I dunno what song but everyone was sitting...so could be anything after Limelight. laugh.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/Padfootish/Image030.jpg

Again... First set.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/Padfootish/Image029.jpg

First set....but everyone's standing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/Padfootish/Image027.jpg

Before the show started

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/Padfootish/th_Video005.jpg

Red Barchetta. (TURN VOLUME OFF laugh.gif )

Holy F**K what an awesome night! I easily give that one a 21 out of 10 on the richter scale!

The funniest part for me was.... *ding ding* of all the awesome tickets I've had for the nine S&A shows I saw in 2007/2008 this time mine were in the VERY last row of the seating (sect 408)! Hahaha. It was actually amazing though, our crew had an absolute blast, the sound was great PLUS I didn't have any knobs asking me to sit down since there was nobuddy behind us.

The band (of course) was reliably awesome - even moreso than usual, and maybe my favorite thing about the entire day was just the awesome mood all of the fans seemed to be in, a real special sort of energy possibly due to the hometown show excitement but also the *amazing* weather. Seriously by the time they hit the stage could the weather had been any better? Impossible I say!

Since I have a number of friends and family in Toronto and usually get a bunch of them out to the show, I sort of avoided making formal meetup plans ahead of time with any TRFers however as fate would have it...

willowroolz it was amazing to bump into you again after we'd first met in Rotterdam - it was nice to catch up and thanks again for that round of frosty delicious beer! Hope you guys are having fun at Niagara Falls today. Do not try to go over the falls in a barrel okay?

Different Strings! having my eyes peeled for you all day really paid off and I was ecstatic that I had the chance to meet you and talk about your adventures on your trip thus far. Sorry I was so excited when I first found you that I called you Different STAGES LOL that was the adrenaline (and sunstroke and beer) talking. So nice to get to share some stories over a beer before the show. You were an even *nicer* guy than I had imagined which says a hell of a lot. Hope we meet again one day, and enjoy the rest of your trip over here.

DROCK! funny how things work out sometimes, for all the phone calls we never did manage to meet. That's okay last we spoke on the phone at intermission from the sounds of it we were both having a *really* good time. Nicely toasted... yes niiiicely toasted! Would have been nice to meet the infamous Ya_Big_Tree also but it will have to wait til next time Rush play T.O. and there WILL be a next time! Drop me a line if your back in Ottawa in the fall bud and we'll hook up for some pints.

All Other Attendees great job being such great crowd members! This crowd was something special for sure and really washed away my icky memories of the lukewarm reception to Rush at the ACC last time around!

Until next time!

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (padfoot @ Jul 10 2008, 11:43 AM)
It was also awesome meeting some follow TRF'ers. trink39.gif

I first noticed Different_Strings in the front, and at intermission I made
a security guy go get him laugh.gif sorry mate; I just realized if I never said
hello I would never have the chance ever again.

Then after the show, after looking for her the WHOLE time, I found YAYA!
Which she was with GM, and lead me to D-Rock (you two are awesome laugh.gif )
Unfortuantely I didn't see Tark ot Phil, but maybe another time. sad.gif

I hope everyone had a BLAST!! biggrin.gif

Yea sad.gif

that stunk. I Was near Tarky and KidGloves and her mom were in the same section as me. We were trying to find everyone but didnt find you sad.gif

Next time trink39.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jul 10 2008, 07:29 PM)
willowroolz it was amazing to bump into you again after we'd first met in Rotterdam - it was nice to catch up and thanks again for that round of frosty delicious beer!  Hope you guys are having fun at Niagara Falls today.  Do not try to go over the falls in a barrel okay?

laugh.gif

No barrels. I did go up in a helicopter, though cool.gif Funny thing was, when we were waiting for the chopper ( <-- technical term) we were talking to an English couple who had also travelled over for the show, and I discovered that I'd actually "known" them for ages on the Marillion Forum. Small world!

It was fantastic to see you and your brother again, and to meet your sister. Quite how I didn't spot you is beyond me, you guys tower over everyone else laugh.gif

Good to meet Different Strings, too, however briefly biggrin.gif

The show was as awesome as expected it to be. The atmosphere was amazing, so loud, even though some in the block we were in kept sitting down. I went all that way to see the greatest band on the planet, and I stood up all the way through, but no-one complained so that was cool. I had no voice left by the end of the gig, and was croaky for most of the following day laugh.gif

That was the first time I've ever seen the band outdoors, and compared to every other open-air gig I've been to they were in a different league. I'm still in awe of the whole thing. The reaction to the drum solo was unlike anything I've seen before here in the UK (or Rotterdam for that matter).

Worth every penny I spent on the trip, and I'd do it all again tomorrow without hesitation.

2.gif

Well, don't know if you guys are still lurking in here. Thread looks pretty deserted. And did you have to trash the room on the way out?!

laugh.gif

Anyway, as I promised, here's the first full video I have. Finally! And I finally found some quality audio to sync to the video. Here it is:

Rush - Ghost Of A Chance 7-9-2008

Sorry for the camera shakiness, but as you know security was tight that evening, and it was a dangerous job. wink.gif

Well, hope you enjoy, and I should have some more vids of the first set anyway. Freewill, Mission, I think The Larger Bowl too. Red Barchetta will be there too, except not the entire thing. Part way through the song a security guy told me to put the camera away. sad.gif But it's still going up. I might have some NatSci too, but it'll be very shaky. eh.gif

Oh well, enjoy what you can! smile.gif

Alright, here's the second one:

Rush - Mission 7-9-2008

This one's a little more shaky than the Ghost Of A Chance one, and there is an annoying glare in the right side of the screen throughout the video. This is due the the sun coming in at the certain angle to interfere with the lens. The glare is also present minimally on the GOAC video.

No part of the song is missing in this video. The only part that's "missing" is the starting of Geddy's greeting and chat with the fans. Not an essential part but still good to have in there. That's why the video is black for the first 19 or so seconds.

As with the GOAC video, this one, and coming videos from this show, I thank JMZ93 for the audio source. smile.gif

QUOTE (ifloveremains @ Jul 10 2008, 07:39 AM)

There were a bunch of people with those monkeys right in front of me. (I was in the 100s, on the floor, 13th row from the stage. That was the best Rush concert I've ever been too and completely worth the trip from San Francisco. Its just too bad I didnt know about this forum/any of you before then, it would have been great to meet up with some of you!

And I almost went to RushCon after seeing some guys up front with RushCon t-shirts (thats the only way I found out about it) but ended up not going, I'm still kicking myself for that.

Archived