2008 - 05/10 - Las Vegas, NV - Mandalay Bay Events Center

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#141 Sark

Sark

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2508 posts
  • Interests:Reading, hiking/nature, movies, travel, oh and a little ol' band called Rush!

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:03 AM

Yee Haa! trink39.gif  1022.gif  

Sponsored Post

#142 Rolinda Bonz

Rolinda Bonz

Land Obi Zorn

• Members *
  • 10868 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:23 AM

1287.gif i'm leavin' phx in the mornin'  common001.gif
1022.gif  653.gif  2.gif  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif  trink39.gif  

#143 Godeater2112

Godeater2112

Th..th..THAT'S IT™ folks!!!

• Members
  • 11536 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:15 AM

Holy crap VEGAS is awesome!   And finaly FINALLY show day is upon us.  See some of ya at Draco's place tonight!

bekloppt.gif  

#144 Midway Hawker

Midway Hawker

The Great Cornholio

• 5096 posts
  • Interests:Rush, Poker, Golf, Basketball, and Sarcasm

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:58 PM

I have fun everyone.  Sorry I can't be there.  sad.gif

#145 CygnusX-1Bk2

CygnusX-1Bk2

Certified Verbal Ass Kicker

• 3774 posts
  • Interests:Sound Design & Effects for games and picture (my main gig). Music (sometimes more than a hobby, it's paid the bills at times).
    Sound recording, which is also my job.
    Baseball.

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:04 AM

Whoo hoo!

#146 rushfanNlv

rushfanNlv

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2072 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:09 AM

WOW! applaudit.gif

The show was awesome!  I really feel that the band was "on" tonight: energetic and happy, playing and sounding way better than the first run through Vegas (not that the first stop was bad).  Even Neil seemed very pleased with himself during and especially after his solo. which seemed different than the first leg?  He even joked around towards the end of the show during TS adding in some cymbal rolls accompanied by some goofy faces.  I especially liked the added hi-hat work in the beginning of spindrift.

There were a few "train wrecks" for sure...Alex missed a position change at 6:10 during Natural Science and Geddy had the wrong sound bank loaded for the first keyboard lead in Subdivisions but there were hi-lights too.  Ghost of a chance sounded amazing to me.  Geddy's voice was good toningt especially during the high part after the "band solo" in Freewill.  Red Barchetta had me in goose bumps.  I love that song and they really nailed it.  I was glad to hear that Alex changed his guitar solo tone to something that resembled the studio tone rather than what he used for R30 doh.gif Hope was played very slowly but the tone of the 12 string was superb.  Some other great solo moments from Alex were the extended ending of Ghost of a Chance, Dreamline and Bangkok.

Overall, I was very, very pleased with the show.  I think the sound at The Mandalay Bay was better than the MGM but that may just be because at the MGM show, I had shitty seats and at the Mandalay Bat, I was about mid floor stage right.

#147 CygnusX-1Bk2

CygnusX-1Bk2

Certified Verbal Ass Kicker

• 3774 posts
  • Interests:Sound Design & Effects for games and picture (my main gig). Music (sometimes more than a hobby, it's paid the bills at times).
    Sound recording, which is also my job.
    Baseball.

Posted 11 May 2008 - 03:06 PM

This show easily wins best indoor sound. Excellent articulation and definition. Sorry I missed you NLV. Figured you would have dropped by the CP party. Oh well.

Yeah Geddy was fiddling with the Little Phatty during Subdivisions. At first he was pissed and then he over compensated during the guitar solo. Neil had a bit of a brain fart during Larger Bowl and I detected some funkiness in Hope, just a half step biff. Geddy slid around a bit in Armor and Sword. I love when they are human. Makes them seem more, um, human. tongue.gif

But yeah, they had great energy. Even saw Neil make a face st someone in the crowd. First time I have seen him even acknowledge the crowd in 40 shows that I have been to.

This was my last one this time out and it was a good one to go out on. My seat was in the 10th row, so I was very pleased (though not as pleased as Concord, eh B?).

See y'all next tour.

#148 LeaveMyThingAlone

LeaveMyThingAlone

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3137 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:02 PM

Yeah...it's always dicey with indoor arenas I've never been to before, but the sound at this place was absolute top-notch! Best Indoor sound I've heard in a long time, but after the Nokia Theater, it couldn't be worse!

I agree with RushFannlv on about everything. The boys really seemed to be having a lot of fun, the crowd was really enthusiastic and energetic and Rush was on! Just an awesome show and much better than the MGM Grand shows of tours past. I really hope the keep coming back to Mandalay Bay! (Plus, we love staying at that hotel!)

I scored 9th row seats from a scalper outside the arena about a half hour before the show and the seats were  primo....had a great view of Neil's drum kit and we were on Alex's side, and he was having plenty of fun!

Highlights were definitely Natural Science (always a crowd pleaser), 2112, Far Cry, YYZ, and One Little Victory sounded a lot better than it has before....?

Awesome show and I'm doing it again tonight in Irvine!

#149 Sark

Sark

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2508 posts
  • Interests:Reading, hiking/nature, movies, travel, oh and a little ol' band called Rush!

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:02 AM

Awesome show! The crowd was pretty into it as well. Good to see all the peeps at the concert, and at the party. Next stop- Saint Paul! 1022.gif  

#150 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 59222 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 11 2008, 07:02 PM)

I scored 9th row seats from a scalper outside the arena about a half hour before the show and the seats were  primo....had a great view of Neil's drum kit and we were on Alex's side, and he was having plenty of fun!

Weird, but I was in Vegas that night, and couldn't find a scalper.  huh.gif

I looked for about an hour, walking all around the venue, in the parking lot, etc. It was bizarre...

Ended up knocking down a couple of mojitos at House of Blues with some gal pals, then we went over to the NYNY piano bar till 3:00AM, so it wasn't a total loss!  laugh.gif

#151 Godeater2112

Godeater2112

Th..th..THAT'S IT™ folks!!!

• Members
  • 11536 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ May 11 2008, 08:02 PM)
Yeah...it's always dicey with indoor arenas I've never been to before, but the sound at this place was absolute top-notch! Best Indoor sound I've heard in a long time

I agree with RushFannlv on about everything. The boys really seemed to be having a lot of fun, the crowd was really enthusiastic and energetic and Rush was on!

I totally agree with you guys - what an amazing show, the band was *really* into it, maybe the most I've ever seen them energized and happy looking - maybe those 4 days off or so really helped.

And the sound was just incredible that night.  From my really decent 100s anyways it may very well have been the best Rush sound I'd ever heard.

Nice to meet a couple of you briefly at the pre-party!  Other than losing my $200 21/12 roulette spin it was an absolutely perfect night!

trink39.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users