2008 - 04/20 - New Orleans, LA - New Orleans Arena

QUOTE (friendlyvoice @ Apr 7 2008, 12:55 PM)
Didn't realize I'd been away so long...I've missed a good bit. The wife & I are definitely interested in joining a pre-show gathering. We're planning on trying to avoid driving as much as possible...staying at the Baronne, just off Canal, so I think that'll work as far as being able to get from there to the arena, the quarter, etc. (walking back to the hotel after the show...bad idea?? Anyone? Bueller?)

Anyway, put us on the list and I hope all the arrangements work out.

Hey FV,

I've given your question about walking to and from the arena some additional thought.

We are also staying downtown and I've heard that walking to and from the arena at night would be most advisable if you were in a super large crowd, say for a football game.

But I've also heard that the Central Business District and French Quarter are reasonably safe in the daytime. If you decide to walk it at night, I would try to stay on major streets as much as possible, and there's always the option of hailing a cab.

I wish I could help from first-hand experience, but we haven't been to New Orleans since October 2004 and as we all know plenty has changed since then. Hope this is of some help!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Friends!

Again, being a local and knowing the area very well, I can probably be of some more assistance.

Re-fresh me on where y'all are staying downtown/cbd and I'll see what information I can better help you with.

I have to get to morning mass right now and then to work, but I'll check back in tonight.

Excitement so thick...

QUOTE (Saint NIck @ Apr 8 2008, 06:09 AM)
Hi Friends!
Again, being a local and knowing the area very well, I can probably be of some more assistance.
Re-fresh me on where y'all are staying downtown/cbd and I'll see what information I can better help you with.
I have to get to morning mass right now and then to work, but I'll check back in tonight.
Excitement so thick...

Thanks...we'll be staying at the Baronne Plaza, just off Poydras. Seemed like a reasonable place to stay...cost was great...and I felt like the location was perfect.

We're hoping to leave the car parked for the weekend and walk everywhere (or maybe ride the trolley...that's always nice), but I'm a little concerned about walking back to the hotel after the show. Should only be a few blocks and no low traffic areas to go through...but the wife & I are not naive...we have some N.O. experience and never had any problems, but we know you have to careful and smart. Any thoughts?

I'm staying at the Chateau Sonesta on Iberville. It's close enough for me to get to the arena & Mothers and close enough to Bourbon after the show. We'll check in about 3 p.m.; it'll give me time to rest up before the meetup.

I doubt wifey will come along for the meetup. It takes her a few hours to recover from a long driving trip. We'll be leaving home around 7 a.m.

Last time we were in New Orleans, we took the bus or a cab into and out of the French Quarter/Downtown region, and in whatever we decide to do Saturday morning, we'll probably ride the bus or trolley. We think it's just going to be simpler for us to drive to the meet-up and the show, given we will have our daughter with us.

As many of you are aware by now, the possibility exists that the New Orleans Hornets may claim priority over the New Orleans Arena for the NBA playoffs, forcing a rescheduling of the Rush show now set for Saturday.

Here is the story from NOLA.com (The Times-Picayune).

This may make it impossible for us to attend the rescheduled show.

If nothing happens and the show remains set for Saturday, then we see no reason why wouldn't be able to be there. If it is set for another day, then we may not be able to be at the show and therefore not coordinate any alternate meet-up arrangement for the rescheduled show. Someone else may have to take the lead if there is still interest in a TRF meet-up for the rescheduled day.

We'll just have to see where things stand Thursday. For now, keep looking at the following threads or sites:

Rush is a Band

The TRF thread

Yahoo! NBA Playoffs page

New Orleans Arena

As most of you know by now, the New Orleans show for Saturday definitely will not happen at New Orleans Arena, as the New Orleans Hornets have claimed their priority over the venue for their opening NBA playoff game with the Dallas Mavericks.

We are awaiting word from arena management, the band's management and/or possibly from promoter Live Nation as to what the alternative arrangements will be - assuming they don't go the route of outright canceling the show.

Right now, the option of an alternate venue for the show on the day it was previously scheduled appears in doubt. Therefore, the status of the Saturday meet-up is on hold until we know for sure what the new arrangements are.

Probably the best place to find out what's going on is the main TRF thread on the subject. This is the link.

I hope something can work out so that we can all gather. Stay tuned.

OK, it can't get any more official than this:

Rush's tour page says the New Orleans and Houston shows are swapped, so New Orleans will proceed on Sunday.

As of right now, I see no reason why we can't proceed with the meet-up same time, 4 p.m., but on Sunday instead. This assumes the show will still be at 7:30 p.m. My daughter and I will attempt to arrive at the hotel prior to the meet-up and get set up. I pray that she naps in the car!

Many things have yet to get worked out for us personally, but that's the plan for now.

I'll let you know if anything significant changes!

Hello guys....with the gig change one of my friends will not be able to make it....we have ONE extra Floor A Row 2 seat.....$350 Face.....would give it in hand Sunday around noon or before show time.....if any one intrested please email me.....

ggt@infosel.net.mx

Thanks!

Just checked Ticketmaster. With some tickets being returned by those unable to attend the show, there are some floor tickets available for those wishing to upgrade. I'm hopeful that those who will miss out Sunday night will be able to catch them later in the tour.

Everybody still meeting up at Mother's @ 4:00pm?

If ya'll are still meeting there, I am going try and squeeze both Mother's and Pat O'Brien's in before the show starts! ohmy.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushbass @ Apr 19 2008, 10:31 PM)
Everybody still meeting up at Mother's @ 4:00pm?

If ya'll are still meeting there, I am going try and squeeze both Mother's and Pat O'Brien's in before the show starts!  ohmy.gif  trink39.gif

As I'm sure everyone's plans have been altered on some level, ours have too. I plan on getting in to New Orleans about an hour before our planned meet-up at Mother's, so the answer to rusbass' question is a resounding:

yes.gif

I plan to do my best to get down there right at 4 p.m. today! I'll have TRF name tags.

Reminders on the meet-up:

If someone is staffing the lot, parking is $10 at Mother's, $5 if validated, and free if not.

It is located at 401 Poydras St. at the intersection with Tchoupitoulas [ pronounced according to this this from Mother's Web site - (Chop-a-TOO-lis) ]. Late edit: It is about a mile from the venue.

It is my understanding that the service is what I call first-come, first-served (they do not take reservations) and I would expect the seating will be too, so may have to make do on that end. LATE EDIT: Even post-Katrina they say the place can get packed.

I expect we'll adjourn just before or around 5:30 p.m. to get parked ahead of the show.

I am expecting 14-16 people for the meet-up. Hope to see y'all there!

Late edit: Mother's Web site

To all who correctly expected my daughter and I to be at Mother's at 4 p.m. Sunday, I do apologize. I really am typically not an appointment blower. And we didn't blow the appointment - we were unfashionably late!

I thought we had timed our departure and the one full stop to fit with getting in town soon enough to get set up at the hotel and get to Mother's by a reasonable time. That did not happen for a number of reasons, most of them related to the logistics and timing of getting into town and get things under control enough to start hoofing it to the meet-up. If you came to Mother's but we didn't see you at the show, I'm sorry we missed you. For those we did get to meet at the show, it was awesome to see y'all and we hope we can do it again soon. Hopefully we'll be better prepared logistically next time!

QUOTE (skyswing @ Apr 21 2008, 11:13 PM)
To all who correctly expected my daughter and I to be at Mother's at 4 p.m. Sunday, I do apologize. I really am typically not an appointment blower. And we didn't blow the appointment - we were unfashionably late!
I thought we had timed our departure and the one full stop to fit with getting in town soon enough to get set up at the hotel and get to Mother's by a reasonable time. That did not happen for a number of reasons, most of them related to the logistics and timing of getting into town and get things under control enough to start hoofing it to the meet-up. If you came to Mother's but we didn't see you at the show, I'm sorry we missed you. For those we did get to meet at the show, it was awesome to see y'all and we hope we can do it again soon. Hopefully we'll be better prepared logistically next time!

Hey Skyswing,

It was nice meeting you guys after the show. Hope your daughter had fun! We got to Muthers and stayed for a little while - enough time to down a bowl of gumbo. We headed to Bourbon right after and had a few Hurricanes at Pat O's. Sorry we missed you there, but was glad to meet ya later on.

trink39.gif

Archived