Kid Gloves

Alsgalpal

I noticed that Barn hasnt been doing his song of the day, he has been working his tail off at work. So, if he doesnt mind, I am going to do my version, as no one can do things quite with the flair that he does. biggrin.gif wub.gif

I am so in love with the beginning guitar in that song, it over shadows the other things in the song... I could listen to the beginning over and over. biggrin.gif

Kid Gloves is a great tune. Like you mentioned, the guitar is great. I like how he uses delay. Most of the song is in 5/4 time, which is cool, because the song doesn't sound like it was meant to be complex as it is.

Its off my favourite album, but its not my fave song. It's probably seem a lot better if the rest of the album wasn't so fargin' awesome. This was one of those albums way ahead of its time.

COOL!!!!!

Awesome song. Alex's guitar riff at the beginning is amazing, and it opens from that dry sound after the intro to carry us throughout the rest of the song. It's perfect. Alex's distinguished guitar sound throughout GUP is astounding (today's 'word of the day').

But my favorite part of the song is the ending (and not so I can say "because it's finally over"). It's because the ending sounds as though they wrote it for their live performance - like.. "how should we end this song on stage, because it fades on record?" It punches and punches and punches.... and punches again. I made an isolated sound byte of that ending and use it on my computer (along with many others).

Kid Gloves gets my vote as "best ending". new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Nice playground analogies, relevant theme on the reality of the University of Life, and nice wordplays - World of difference/indifference, cool to be so tough, tough to be so cool etc.

Love the rhythms from 2.32 on.

Rickyrob is right, it gets a bot lost in the shadows of BTW, RSA etc, but is a great song. Good call AGP.

Is an awesome song and the synths in the chorus really give it some weight. It also has a cool sort of U2 style solo (but much better tongue.gif )

My fav song on GUP though is Body Electric which is usually overlooked

Definitely the odd puppy on what is, generally, a very dark sounding album. KG is a very jaunty sounding song, with some quite dark lyrics that provide a interesting contrast. Often overlooked and definitiely underated

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 12 2005, 10:48 AM)
I like Kid Gloves too. It is one of the few "happy" tunes on Grace Under Pressure.

True, that is a happy song isn't it? Most of the others on that CD isn't. It reminds me of the mid 80's since that's when it came out. I loved that time as far as music. This is a great song and I love the lead break in it, it is off the hook.

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Jan 12 2005, 11:33 AM)
I noticed that Barn hasnt been doing his song of the day, he has been working his tail off at work. So, if he doesnt mind, I am going to do my version, as no one can do things quite with the flair that he does. biggrin.gif wub.gif

I am so in love with the beginning guitar in that song, it over shadows the other things in the song... I could listen to the beginning over and over. biggrin.gif

I agree, I love the opening guitar. Very sweet effect.

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (yyz @ Jan 12 2005, 04:51 PM)
QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Jan 12 2005, 11:33 AM)
I noticed that Barn hasnt been doing his song of the day, he has been working his tail off at work.  So, if he doesnt mind, I am going to do my version, as no one can do things quite with the flair that he does.  biggrin.gif  wub.gif 

I am so in love with the beginning guitar in that song, it over shadows the other things in the song... I could listen to the beginning over and over.  biggrin.gif

I agree, I love the opening guitar. Very sweet effect.

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

A digital delay can make some sweet sounds for sure. Ask "the edge"... lol

The Echoplex is awesome. Maybe some chorus or flange too? It sounds like a strat or tele in this song.

yes.gif

I'm very partial to the solo.

QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Jan 12 2005, 10:56 PM)
I'm very partial to the solo.

Me too. That solo is awesome, and there is a progression in the middle which is played quickly all on harmonics and ends with a bit of whammy!!

QUOTE (A Companion Unobtrusive @ Jan 12 2005, 07:11 PM)
Kid gloves - yes! I put my headphones on, crank it up LOUD and go fast forward to the awesome ending:

DAGADAGADAGADAGA-DANNGG
DRANG-DANG DANG
DRANG-DANG DANG
DANG-DA
peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep (That's my beginning tinnitus!)

PERFECT!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 12 2005, 10:42 AM)
Its off my favourite album, but its not my fave song. It's probably seem a lot better if the rest of the album wasn't so fargin' awesome. This was one of those albums way ahead of its time.

What he said. yes.gif

I thought I was alone liking this song!!

It is not one of the true greats on the album, but I love it cos it's one of the easiest drum parts to play. The 5/4 doesn't sound contrived and really flows, but then you feel the kick of the regular beat when it switchs to 4/4.

Solo is awesome.

I'm a fan of the lyrics, but it revisits and falls under the shadow of Subdivisions which is basically the same theme.

I noticed, when I attempted to learn it on guitar, that it's almost the same struture as freewill.

Yeah, I crank up the speakers whenever Kid Gloves comes on and put on my kid gloves!

Archived