UPDATE on Lakeside Maiden & Rhiannon's Dad

Rhiannon_of_Rivendell

I am not sure if this is appropriate for the board or not but...

For those of you not familiar with our situation, our Dad fell on the ice just before New Year's and broke his wrist. He is a professional guitarist and this has a emotional as well as physical blow to him and to us all.

After getting the first cast off, they discovered that the bones had slipped and now he has to go in for surgery. They have to put a plate & screws into his wrist so that it has the best chance to heal properly so that he will be able to play the guitar again.

Please keep our family in your thoughts and prayers.

Rhi

My own Dad's been really ill since October, but thankfully is recovering, slowly but surely.

I broke a leg two years ago three weeks before I was supposed to play my first ever lead in a show. The plates and pins are still there, but it healed.

It must be the professional's muisician's worst nightmare - Best wishes to both of you and to your Dad. rose.gif

I'm so sorry to hear - I hope all goes well. Keep your dad in good spirits.

sad.gif Wrist breaking is no fun......I hope all the best fer your dad ROR and LSM!! He'll bounce right back and play don't worry smile.gif heh if it makes you feel better....my sister also went into surgey because she broke both wrists...both in the same spot from gymnastics...and it turned out alright

He's in my thoughts and prayers smile.gif

Many prayers will be going out soon! yes.gif

sad.gif As a drummer, I have been through a serious incident involving both my hands. (Long story, send me a PM and I'll try to tell you the short version.) I was told at the time I would never play again. That I may never be able to write again. Amputation was even discussed. The human body possesses incredible healing powers. I endured months of physical and occupational therapy from my finger tips to my elbows. It was hard, painful work but in the end, well worth the effort! At one point in time I could not touch my finger tips to my thumb. Try holding a drumstick like that. (Rambling now) I guess what I am trying to say is, with an injury like this, it will be a lot of hard work to regain full dexterity and range of motion. I can say I know what this is like because I have been there. Sorry to sound clich'e here but, No Pain, No Gain! Playing guitar sounds like great therapy. LSM and Rhi, My prayers and wishes go out to your Father on a speedy recovery!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jan 11 2005, 08:25 PM)
sad.gif As a drummer, I have been through a serious incident involving both my hands. (Long story, send me a PM and I'll try to tell you the short version.) I was told at the time I would never play again. That I may never be able to write again. Amputation was even discussed. The human body possesses incredible healing powers. I endured months of physical and occupational therapy from my finger tips to my elbows. It was hard, painful work but in the end, well worth the effort! At one point in time I could not touch my finger tips to my thumb. Try holding a drumstick like that. (Rambling now) I guess what I am trying to say is, with an injury like this, it will be a lot of hard work to regain full dexterity and range of motion. I can say I know what this is like because I have been there. Sorry to sound clich'e here but, No Pain, No Gain! Playing guitar sounds like great therapy. LSM and Rhi, My prayers and wishes go out to your Father on a speedy recovery!!! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

wow you remind me of a movie...."Tagged" ever heard of it? It's about this guy who is in highschool and he keeps seeing this gang bully people so he's always stepping in, and of course the gang is getting pissed because he is ruining their "fun" and he does this a couple times. He actaully starts his own gang to go up against them. His so called friends that are in the gang are actaully cowards instead so he is still getting into trouble with the gang. As you know gangs have tags and they are always competing for tags and stuff and one day someone tricks him in meeting this girl near the park and of course its the gang...so he gets kicked around on the ground and stuff and gets kicked in the head. He is put in a coma and after like 1 year he finally is out and can barely walk, talk do nothing...but then he works on it and he can actaully do some stuff and start walking again. This is a true story....pfft kids these days mad.gif I couldn't stop watching this movie for like ever! It's sooo good...anyways Drum you just reminded me of that movie! lol biggrin.gif smile.gif

Madra, you, your Dad & your family are in our thoughts as well.

Thank you to everyone, it's good to know there are people like you out there. smile.gif

TRF folks are the best!

((((hugs))))

Rhi

rose.gif

:*) Thanks SO much everybody...for those that know Rhi and myself well, you know how much pride we have in our father and his playing, and also how much love we have in our hearts for him and for his emotional and physical wellbeing...this has been a tremendous blow to him and the entire family to have him suffer such horrible musical misfortune and I just wanted to thank you all for your support through this (yes, sister-mine, TRF folks are the best smile.gif )

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Jan 12 2005, 02:37 AM)
:*) Thanks SO much everybody...for those that know Rhi and myself well, you know how much pride we have in our father and his playing, and also how much love we have in our hearts for him and for his emotional and physical wellbeing...this has been a tremendous blow to him and the entire family to have him suffer such horrible musical misfortune and I just wanted to thank you all for your support through this (yes, sister-mine, TRF folks are the best smile.gif )

Wow, thanks for the update... I am just a phone call away if you need me, ok? Keeping positive thoughts flowing for you all... BIG BUGS!!! ((()))

I echo what DrumNut said.

My hubby broke his wrist down-hill-mountain-biking, and had an external fixator (vertical pins drilled into the bone, horizontal rods attached to them, and some pins slipped in between as spacers!).

When the doctor tells your dad he needs to work it - he needs to work it, no matter how painful. It's part of the healing, and it's imperative in order to heal fully.

My husband wasn't masochistic enough, so he had to keep the fixator on/in longer, since the hand/wrist muscles weren't strong enough to support the fragile bones. But, even so, he has recovered to about 90% normal function.

My thoughts will be with you, your sister, father, and the rest of your family!

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jan 13 2005, 01:12 PM)
bumper.gif for update? confused13.gif

bumper.gif

No word yet... We'll let you know as soon as we get any.

Thank you all for your concern heart.gif

Rhi & LSM

OK Folks,

Mom just called he's out of surgery and it all went very well.

He has a plate & pins and is in recovery and is talking about going into work tomorrow.

scared.gif wacko.gif - Yeah, this won't happen wink.gif not if Mom has anything to say about it.

We'll post more when we hear from her again after the Dr. comes back to see him later on today.

Archived