Least Favorite Rush album?

redstar86

What is your least favorite Rush album?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. What is your least favorite Rush album?

• Rush
    • Fly By Night
    • Caress of Steel
    • A Farewell to Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll the Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Feedback

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Sark @ Jan 12 2005, 08:32 AM)
QUOTE (Romi - The Bringer of Love @ Jan 12 2005, 05:44 AM)
I'm sorry, but I have to vote for (or against) the guy's first album - Rush - because the brilliant Neil Peart hadn't joined the band yet. I got my LP copy of this album about 10 years ago, and since then I listened to it only a couple of times, my favorite ones are Caress of Steel, Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, Signals and of course Moving Pictures.

Best wishes to you all.[Life is just a candle and a dream must give it flame]

I agree. The fact that it's Rutsey and not Peart is the only reason I could find to even have a least favorite.

I would have to say that I am along this same line of thinking. Although I do enjoy the first album, Neil's talents were missing for sure!

i said hold your fire, i like it along with everything they did it just took me awhile to warm up to it. with the exception of Time Stand Still.

I was a little thrown off by the song Roll The Bones but i thought the album was good.

but hell i played alex's victor and geddy's my favourite headache over and over biggrin.gif

i get rush starved 2.gif

Counterparts never did much for me. It's not a bad album but compared to the rest I don't think it stacks up.

Have to go with Roll the Bones except for the excellent opening track - Dreamline.

It's interesting to note that the least favourite albums tend to be the later albums from Hold Your Fire to Test for Echo (except Caress of Steel which was an early blip).

Did RUSH, like most groups, perfect their playing and writing until they reached their peak around Moving Pictures? After that, did they run out of fresh ideas or just change direction too much for the liking of fans?

Ok, I need this explained to me:

Am I weird? What do so many people have against CoS? I got my first copy in about 1980 and have always thought it a damn fine piece of work, especially (and now I submit to carbon-dating) the 2nd side; Remember vinyl?

Ah well. It'd be a strange place if we were all the same I suppose. The phone book would be a bit repetitive for a start.

Oh No! I accidently voted for my favorite album! Sorry everyone. please disreguard the hemispheres vote!

my least favorite album would have to be Presto. It has some great songs on it but not enough. Just not as solid as their other albums.

QUOTE (Margana @ Jan 13 2005, 03:37 PM)
Have to go with Roll the Bones except for the excellent opening track - Dreamline.

It's interesting to note that the least favourite albums tend to be the later albums from Hold Your Fire to Test for Echo (except Caress of Steel which was an early blip).
Did RUSH, like most groups, perfect their playing and writing until they reached their peak around Moving Pictures? After that, did they run out of fresh ideas or just change direction too much for the liking of fans?

Not for me. I love all the material from early on to today. But personally, the ratio of 'playtime' leans way way way more from MP through to Feedback.

I would have to say Presto is my least favorite 2.gif album. It's a good album, but not as great as the rest of their albums. But a bad RUSH album is still better then most groups best albums yes.gif

A month or two ago I would've said Hold Your Fire. Remember when it clicked for me? I bet at some point it'll click for Snowdog too. biggrin.gif I voted for Roll The Bones. For some reason it seems kind of..... off. I love T4E, maybe it has something to do with me being 17. I love Presto too, guess everyone just has different tastes ya know?

BTW to ES-355: Your icon is so cool, I'm guessing you made it yourself? Haha it made me laugh!

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jan 14 2005, 09:28 PM)
ohmy.gif Lot of Test For Echo bashing going on here! confused13.gif I think T4E is a great album! Neil liked it so much he based the "Work in Progress" DVD on it. yes.gif

Test For Echo is indeed a great album. How can you not like it with the rock-man (Inukashuk) on the front?!

biggrin.gif

I'd have to say TFE. Not that I don't like it, but it's for sure my "least favorite" album. It just did not stand the test of time for me. I'm not basing my vote purely on how well the boys wrote and played, not on production or anything else. There are some great tunes on this album for sure, but I just can't get myself to listen to it all the way through.

That being said, I don't feel there is any "filler" on this album. I think they really put their heart into every tune. Unlike how I feel about Roll the Bones, where I just "feel" a few tunes on the 2nd side were really filler. Just my opinions of course.

It's hard to pick a least favorite album when even my least favorite still blows away 90% of other bands out there !

Kevin

I think that T4E was to attract a wider audience... because they were trailing on the edge of a "Punk Rock" sound with Totem and Dog Years. Geddy Lee's bass sounded clearer than any other album on this record, so I can't stop rocking to T4E, so this is obviously not my least favorite album!

I said my least favorite album was 2112... It just didn't seem to rock. Surely, the boys showed off their share of talent, but I guess it all didn't fit together for me.

One thing to remember is that Rush can sneak up on you! My least favorite albums and favorite albums are in constant change... I'm sure all you guys know the feeling.

QUOTE (RushGuru @ Jan 14 2005, 08:53 AM)
Oh No! I accidently voted for my favorite album! Sorry everyone. please disreguard the hemispheres vote!

I was just about to comment on that one vote for Hemispheres! Phew! laugh.gif

I actually happen to know about a Rush fan, who thinks of MP as his least fav record -perhaps I ought to get him to vote in this poll? wink.gif

Glad to see Permy still in the zero-zone...

I am amazed that only 2 people have voted for Power Windows as their least favourite album!

Oh well! It gets my vote

My rankings (this is hard) [1 being best] I am not including 'Feedback' as it is more like an EP

1. Hemispheres

2. Permanent Waves

3. Moving Pictures

4. 2112

5. A Farewell To Kings

6. Counterparts

7. Signals

8. Fly By Night

9. Test For Echo

10. Roll The Bones

11. Grace Under Pressure

12. Caress Of Steel