Least Favorite Rush album?

redstar86

What is your least favorite Rush album?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. What is your least favorite Rush album?

• Rush
    • Fly By Night
    • Caress of Steel
    • A Farewell to Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll the Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Feedback

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had to go for Signals for one reason and one reason only - the sound.

Much as I try, I don't like Rush as a two piece and, on Signals, Al's guitar is pushed so far back in the mix that he might as well have stayed at home. On the few occasions when he does become audible, his sound is thin and lacks the puch to really cut through the backing tracks.

I find this a real shame as the songs on the album are, mostly, brilliant as can be heard when they're performed live.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 11 2005, 06:28 PM)
Test for Echo, by a long shot.  schla03.gif

fing.gif (jk--we are all entitled to our own opinion)

i voted Caress of Steel cause it has some pretty wierd stuff on it

(i.e. I think i'm going bald)

...but Lakeside Park and Bastille Day are classics! 1022.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 11 2005, 03:51 PM)
No actually Presto is one of their best.

RTB is easily my least favourite.

That is, just because you think it's one of their best doesn't mean that it is. And just because I think that it's their weakest doesn't make it true either.

This is all about opinion. No facts.

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Jan 11 2005, 11:53 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 11 2005, 03:51 PM)
No actually Presto is one of their best.

RTB is easily my least favourite.

That is, just because you think it's one of their best doesn't mean that it is. And just because I think that it's their weakest doesn't make it true either.

This is all about opinion. No facts.

I know of a few people who opught to bear that in mind

Presto is my choice.

Reason is that most of the songs sound uninspired to me like many other pop songs, of course feel free to disagree lol

T4E was close to being the choice though.

Neither are bad but just the least good 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Uncle @ Jan 12 2005, 01:14 AM)
Presto is my choice.

Reason is that most of the songs sound uninspired to me like many other pop songs, of course feel free to disagree lol

T4E was close to being the choice though.

Neither are bad but just the least good 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

Ditto

Although I've come to like Presto a whole lot more this year, so considered T4E, only, I span T4E continually in the car for three days last week, and even found myself getting well into Dog Years!!!!

I've picked Presto, but as Uncle says, it's not a bad album by a long shot.

I went with Caress of Steel although I've made a sort of personal discovery with it within the last few months. It's breakin' my heart to see Presto take a beating. But it still sounds just as f'ing amazing to me regardless of the popular opinion. I'm sure my vote for COS won't sit well with many, but hey - it doesn't mean I hate it.

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ Jan 11 2005, 07:36 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 11 2005, 06:28 PM)
Test for Echo, by a long shot.  schla03.gif

fing.gif (jk--we are all entitled to our own opinion)

i voted Caress of Steel cause it has some pretty wierd stuff on it

(i.e. I think i'm going bald)

...but Lakeside Park and Bastille Day are classics! 1022.gif

Eh, COS, one of my favorites actually...I think I'll have to go with Test for Echo as worst if I HAD to pick.

Ah, this one is always easy... Roll Them Bones

The explanation will follow in the RTB thread, once I have a half an hour to spare -the list of things I can't stand on it is just too long! tongue.gif

Interesting results but predictable. Mine is Presto by a clear light-year. The album does very little for me, with the exception of The Pass, War Paint and Show Dont Tell. I do not like the kind of vague, echoey atmosphere to the whole album, as if we are listening to them playing in the distance.

The others that don't surprise me are Test For Echo. This is far better than Presto and I do like the title track, Driven and Resist. But that's about it (oh and Half the World is OK too). I am a little surprised that Signals got two votes so far.

PS If anyone votes for 2112, Hemishperes or Moving Pictures, they are lying laugh.gif

I'm sorry, but I have to vote for (or against) the guy's first album - Rush - because the brilliant Neil Peart hadn't joined the band yet. I got my LP copy of this album about 10 years ago, and since then I listened to it only a couple of times, my favorite ones are Caress of Steel, Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, Signals and of course Moving Pictures.

Best wishes to you all.[Life is just a candle and a dream must give it flame]

I hit the Vapor Trails tab by mistake !!!

I should, of course, be hitting the truely awful T4E. I've never even got past Driven.

The shame of it is that when you hear Test for Echo on DS the songs are great - you hear what they were trying to do.

I just don't know what they were trying to say on this album

Slaine, Signals is their finest hour!!

QUOTE (Sodoff Baldrick @ Jan 12 2005, 07:59 AM)
Counterparts, just can't get into it

I have a cunning plan... laugh.gif

Listen to it more....I bought it when it came out and put it away for 10 years!!!...thought the same as you. I didn't give it enough chance.

Personal taste thing again but I had to go with Power Windows. A lot of the stuff around that era just didn't do it for me. Didn't like the guitar work, don't enjoy playing it - just seems to me that Alex was being unnecessarily complex in some of the stuff he was doing. Nothing wrong with complexity where it adds something but otherwise it's meaningless.

As it's the only vote for PW at present I'm sure others disagree and they are of course perfectly entitled to do so.

By the way - I love CoS! tongue.gif

Bob

QUOTE (Romi - The Bringer of Love @ Jan 12 2005, 05:44 AM)
I'm sorry, but I have to vote for (or against) the guy's first album - Rush - because the brilliant Neil Peart hadn't joined the band yet. I got my LP copy of this album about 10 years ago, and since then I listened to it only a couple of times, my favorite ones are Caress of Steel, Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, Signals and of course Moving Pictures.

Best wishes to you all.[Life is just a candle and a dream must give it flame]

I agree. The fact that it's Rutsey and not Peart is the only reason I could find to even have a least favorite.

I chose Feedback only because it is not original material.

I don't have a least favorite album. They all have their good points & are different enough, so they work at some point or another.

Archived