King Crimson rules.

Finbar

For what it's worth, I've only owned/borrowed (from my alma mater's library of all places)/heard 5 KC albums (ITCOTCK, Lizard, Larks', Red and Discipline) yet that didn't deter my enjoyment of seeing them live this past Halloween. Maybe I'm approaching it w/the caveat that the current KC is all I know as far as them being a live band is concerned, but I thought they were awesome and the band post-Squire (RIP) Yes should've and could've been live.

Once I can afford it, I'm making it a priority to get the Radical Action 3CD/BluRay. It'd be sweet if KC releases a download/recording of the show I went to through DGM as well.

King Crimson and Yes are completely different bands.

Indeed, and personally Crimson is more in my cup of coffee. I like a few Yes albums and Close To The Edge is one of my favorite prog albums, but they never left that big of an impact on me as Crimson did.

Crimson is one of those bands that are in a league of their own. They're a whole other thing.

• Like 2

Yet another bump.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Adrian%20Belew%20Phoenix%20Theatre%20Petaluma%20CA%20Oct%2017%2009/BelewatThePhoenixTheatre060.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/King%20Crimson%2017June2017/0617172303_zpsuabw5hma.jpg

• Like 2

Just gonna say what I've heard from KC has sounded pretty cool / awesome, but they're records are always more expensive, whether digital or vinyl or anywhere in between. As a result, I have yet to listen to them as much as any of the other big classic prog bands, and I feel like that isn't my fault.

Try a second-hand record/cd store?

Dumb answer, eh? ;)

KC recordings are a good investment as you'll probably play them many, many times.

Just do some research and see which era/recording interests you the most.

"Islands" would be a disappointing first buy, as would "Lizard" (it was mine, and I was disappointed).

Aw, just bite the bullet and get "Court" and either "Larks' Tongues" or "Red".

"Larks' Tongues" has more group improvisation, and extra (and very interesting) percussion.

"Red" is heavier, more song-y and quite the listening experience. A very dark sounding record.

This is pretty cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIkr8xAEZ1o

Muir was a HUGE influence on Bruford.

Have fun listening!

listening-157386_960_720.png

Ended up grabbing Court off of iTunes a few months back. Loved the death out of 21st Century Schizoid Man, but the rest was a bit less impressive, though admittedly good. Where would you recommend going next?

• Like 1

Just gonna say what I've heard from KC has sounded pretty cool / awesome, but they're records are always more expensive, whether digital or vinyl or anywhere in between. As a result, I have yet to listen to them as much as any of the other big classic prog bands, and I feel like that isn't my fault.

Dumb answer, eh? ;)

KC recordings are a good investment as you'll probably play them many, many times.

"Islands" would be a disappointing first buy, as would "Lizard" (it was mine, and I was disappointed).

"Larks' Tongues" has more group improvisation, and extra (and very interesting) percussion.

"Red" is heavier, more song-y and quite the listening experience. A very dark sounding record.

This is pretty cool:

Have fun listening!

Ended up grabbing Court off of iTunes a few months back. Loved the death out of 21st Century Schizoid Man, but the rest was a bit less impressive, though admittedly good. Where would you recommend going next?

Hey Entre; thanks for asking me - after I told you to get In the Court of...! :LOL:

I really enjoyed the Bruford-Wetton rhythm section, so I'd recommend either the more improvised Larks Tongues In Aspic or the heavier, starker, Red.

But then again, you like Hot Space so you might enjoy Discipline or Beat! :P

(The Belew-Levin line-up of the early 80s was also mighty swell. Check out some of their live stuff to see if it's interesting to your ear.)

KC is all over the place, from the orchestral doom of the first 2 albums to the medieval-doom of "Lizard" to the near-pedestrian "Islands" (the title track is a nice ballad, believe-it-or-not!), to the jazz-doom of 72-75. Lotsa doom to go around!

I know what you mean about ItCotCK; "Schizoid Man" rocks, but then everything else is almost folky by comparison. Title track has some great drumming, and you can see how NP was influenced by Michael Giles' imaginative and brilliant playing. Poseidon, the follow-up, is almost a carbon-copy of the debut, although a bit more upbeat. Maybe? Includes a big, groaning Holst "homage" with plenty of mellotron. :D

Again, do a bit of YouTube research before you part with your hard-earned $$, but I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy Red - raw, heavy sounding, incredible drumming, "Starless" is pretty friggin' amazing...

I think I like Wetton's vocals on Red best. His voice has a nice smoky quality here, where it sounds a bit thin on Larks Tongues.

Good luck! :)

• Like 3

Dumb answer, eh? ;)

This is pretty cool:

Have fun listening!

Hey Entre; thanks for asking me - after I told you to get In the Court of...! :LOL:

I really enjoyed the Bruford-Wetton rhythm section, so I'd recommend either the more improvised Larks Tongues In Aspic or the heavier, starker, Red.

(The Belew-Levin line-up of the early 80s was also mighty swell. Check out some of their live stuff to see if it's interesting to your ear.)

KC is all over the place, from the orchestral doom of the first 2 albums to the medieval-doom of "Lizard" to the near-pedestrian "Islands" (the title track is a nice ballad, believe-it-or-not!), to the jazz-doom of 72-75. Lotsa doom to go around!

I know what you mean about ItCotCK; "Schizoid Man" rocks, but then everything else is almost folky by comparison. Title track has some great drumming, and you can see how NP was influenced by Michael Giles' imaginative and brilliant playing. Poseidon, the follow-up, is almost a carbon-copy of the debut, although a bit more upbeat. Maybe? Includes a big, groaning Holst "homage" with plenty of mellotron. :D

Again, do a bit of YouTube research before you part with your hard-earned $$, but I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy Red - raw, heavy sounding, incredible drumming, "Starless" is pretty friggin' amazing...

I think I like Wetton's vocals on Red best. His voice has a nice smoky quality here, where it sounds a bit thin on Larks Tongues.

I've never heard a bad King Crimson album, but your mileage may vary. It's even better live. They've never made the same album twice which is kind of like another band you might be familiar with.

• Like 1

I've never heard a bad King Crimson album, but your mileage may vary. It's even better live. They've never made the same album twice which is kind of like another band you might be familiar with.

Have you heard Earthbound? :o :D

That album sounds like a headcold and is just about as much fun as one, unless you like squirrely drum-solos!

I'd say don't bother with Earthbound unless you're a collector or REALLY into Fripp and Co.

I'm terrible at lists, but this would be my top 5:

Red

Larks Tongues in Aspic

Beat

Starless and Bible Black

Discipline

Honourable mention: McDonald & Giles (1971) :P

Edited by vaportrailer

Dumb answer, eh? ;)

This is pretty cool:

Have fun listening!

AC/DC?

That album sounds like a headcold and is just about as much fun as one, unless you like squirrely drum-solos!

I'd say don't bother with Earthbound unless you're a collector or REALLY into Fripp and Co.

Red

Larks Tongues in Aspic

Beat

Starless and Bible Black

Discipline

Only have the original Earthbound. That era isn't a favorite so I never upgraded. I do enjoy it, but I prefer the original bootlegs of that period a bit more.

Red

Larks Tongues in Aspic

Beat

Starless and Bible Black

Discipline

Only have the original Earthbound. That era isn't a favorite so I never upgraded. I do enjoy it, but I prefer the original bootlegs of that period a bit more.

I think a massive box set of Islands-era material came out in the last year or so.

I'm not a fan of that line-up or the album, except for the title track.

I'd like to hear some Lizard-era stuff, even though it's not my favourite. Andy McCulloch did some really nice drumming on that album. His style is kind of like a cross between Giles and Bruford, and it's too bad that line-up fell apart before being able to tour.

http://www.mitkadem.co.il/files/KingCrimson_Lizard1.jpg

Rare Lizard era pic made even more rare by a beaming Bobby Fripp!

Red

Larks Tongues in Aspic

Beat

Starless and Bible Black

Discipline

I think a massive box set of Islands-era material came out in the last year or so.

I'm not a fan of that line-up or the album, except for the title track.

I'd like to hear some Lizard-era stuff, even though it's not my favourite. Andy McCulloch did some really nice drumming on that album. His style is kind of like a cross between Giles and Bruford, and it's too bad that line-up fell apart before being able to tour.

http://www.mitkadem.co.il/files/KingCrimson_Lizard1.jpg

Rare Lizard era pic made even more rare by a beaming Bobby Fripp!

I'll get around to that eventually. It's not my favorite period either. It sure has it's moments though.

• Like 1

Dumb answer, eh? ;)

This is pretty cool:

Have fun listening!

I always seem to be late getting around to KC, lol, but yet again it's a few months later and I've bought another one. After a little bit of research I decided on Red, and since I bought it on iTunes (seeing as they're the lowest price I'm gonna find for any of these), I'm on to the bonus tracks now. I'm quite enjoying these live, improv, spacey, jazzy, just weird bonus cuts btw, they're great, but the album itself wasn't.

It was phenomenal.

I'd read somewhere this was one of Kurt Cobain's favorite albums (a true surprise for me, though I knew he had a much more eclectic taste in music than one might assume) and that it was a major influence on In Utero. I have In Utero, and I immediately recognized how Red was a major influence when I put it on. But way more than that, this thing sounds like the greatest 90s alternative metal album in existence, except it isn't because it was made in 1974. I heard Tool, Nirvana, Megadeth, and all sorts in the sound of this record. It's dry as a bone and still simultaneously beautiful and crushing, without needing to go to the depressing extremes that Alice In Chains would on Dirt. I've recently taken more of a liking to ITCOTCK than before, so I can't say for sure that Red is superior for me, but right off the bat I enjoy this more than I did their debut at first.

And for all the talk around Starless and Red, the middle three tracks actually did a lot more of the work for me in getting to love this. Did I mention I somehow got Radiohead vibes from the album around One More Red Nightmare? Maybe it was just because I was reading a review talking about it being about a plane crash and recalling a Radiohead song about surviving a plane crash...but at the least the album shares a tone of anxiety and fear with OK Computer and Kid A.

Thanks for the rec!!!!

• Like 2

Dumb answer, eh? ;)

This is pretty cool:

Have fun listening!

I always seem to be late getting around to KC, lol, but yet again it's a few months later and I've bought another one. After a little bit of research I decided on Red, and since I bought it on iTunes (seeing as they're the lowest price I'm gonna find for any of these), I'm on to the bonus tracks now. I'm quite enjoying these live, improv, spacey, jazzy, just weird bonus cuts btw, they're great, but the album itself wasn't.

It was phenomenal.

I'd read somewhere this was one of Kurt Cobain's favorite albums (a true surprise for me, though I knew he had a much more eclectic taste in music than one might assume) and that it was a major influence on In Utero. I have In Utero, and I immediately recognized how Red was a major influence when I put it on. But way more than that, this thing sounds like the greatest 90s alternative metal album in existence, except it isn't because it was made in 1974. I heard Tool, Nirvana, Megadeth, and all sorts in the sound of this record. It's dry as a bone and still simultaneously beautiful and crushing, without needing to go to the depressing extremes that Alice In Chains would on Dirt. I've recently taken more of a liking to ITCOTCK than before, so I can't say for sure that Red is superior for me, but right off the bat I enjoy this more than I did their debut at first.

And for all the talk around Starless and Red, the middle three tracks actually did a lot more of the work for me in getting to love this. Did I mention I somehow got Radiohead vibes from the album around One More Red Nightmare? Maybe it was just because I was reading a review talking about it being about a plane crash and recalling a Radiohead song about surviving a plane crash...but at the least the album shares a tone of anxiety and fear with OK Computer and Kid A.

Thanks for the rec!!!!

Glad that you like it and cool that it had so many musical associations for you!

Starless & Bible Black is pretty jammy, and most of it is made up of live tracks with the audience surgically removed, but it's up there with Red for me.

Most of it is instrumental iirc, but there are a couple of cool "tunes" as well ("Great Deceiver" is pretty fkd up).

Happy listening! :cheers:

• Like 2

Dumb answer, eh? ;)

This is pretty cool:

Have fun listening!

It was phenomenal.

Thanks for the rec!!!!

Glad that you like it and cool that it had so many musical associations for you!

Starless & Bible Black is pretty jammy, and most of it is made up of live tracks with the audience surgically removed, but it's up there with Red for me.

Most of it is instrumental iirc, but there are a couple of cool "tunes" as well ("Great Deceiver" is pretty fkd up).

Happy listening! :cheers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGBxIcoZAS0

Not my favorite era, but it really is all good with this band.

• Like 1

I'm surprised to find that this thread hasn't been bumped for the 2019 U.S. Tour. I'm going to 4 shows starting with the U.S. opener in L.A.....then Oakland, Denver and Chicago.... maybe I'll see some of you there? Rock on!!!

0617172303_zpsuabw5hma.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/King%20Crimson%2017June2017/0617172210a_zpstf2hl7vc.jpg

I'm content with watching Radical Action if/when I'm in the mood. My interest would change if there was new music on the horizon, but they're touring more as a tribute band or nostalgic act nowadays.

I'm content with watching Radical Action if/when I'm in the mood. My interest would change if there was new music on the horizon, but they're touring more as a tribute band or nostalgic act nowadays.

"Tribute" and "Nostalgia Act" are two terms I would never associate with King Crimson. They usually don't ever play the same song the same way twice.

Have tickets for September. I expect an out of body experience like usual.