Jump to content


King Crimson rules.


  • Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#61 ytserush

ytserush

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4288 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:27 PM

View Postvaportrailer, on 25 October 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

Holy friggin' smokes!



Fripp seems to be having fun here. He actually MOVES!

Fripp begins to let the demons out 13:45.
14:54-15:21: they're out!

Sartori in Tangier is another intense one. Whew!

The whole band is firing on all cylinders.
Tony Levin's playing seems to kick them into high gear.

Great stuff. Thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Again, a great DVD. But that's King Crimson.....

Sponsored Post

#62 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5217 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:41 PM

View PostWil1972, on 26 October 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

Love KC. Probably more a fan of the post-Islands version of the band, from around Larks Tongues through VROOOM, but they have interesting stuff in all eras of the group.

I love what Mike Giles does on those first two records. Very musical drumming.
He and his brother Pete are a pretty deadly rhythm section on "Poseidon", despite the overblown Holst!

#63 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5217 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

View Postytserush, on 27 October 2017 - 03:27 PM, said:

View Postvaportrailer, on 25 October 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

Holy friggin' smokes!



Fripp seems to be having fun here. He actually MOVES!

Fripp begins to let the demons out 13:45.
14:54-15:21: they're out!

Sartori in Tangier is another intense one. Whew!

The whole band is firing on all cylinders.
Tony Levin's playing seems to kick them into high gear.

Great stuff. Thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Again, a great DVD. But that's King Crimson.....

Stumbled across this last night:



Fun! Sounds like they would have been brutally loud!

#64 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1903 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:12 PM

View Postvaportrailer, on 27 October 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

View PostWil1972, on 26 October 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

Love KC. Probably more a fan of the post-Islands version of the band, from around Larks Tongues through VROOOM, but they have interesting stuff in all eras of the group.

I love what Mike Giles does on those first two records. Very musical drumming.
He and his brother Pete are a pretty deadly rhythm section on "Poseidon", despite the overblown Holst!

I do like those albums. But I do find myself really gravitating to the Belew era. And Lizard is my least favorite.

#65 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 669 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Back in The Homeland... Go, PACK, GO! On Wisconsin!
  • Interests:Football, hockey, cycling, golf, music

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

I have two more shows lined up... The Wednesday before Thanksgiving in Ann Arbor, then the Sunday following T-giving in Milwaukee.  The MKE show is the final on this tour... I follow them on line and it sounds like the shows on this last leg have all been awesome; the set lists are amazing with lots of old gold to thrill fans of every KC era.  I can't wait to see these shows!

In the meantime, I saw The Stick Men in early September. That's Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto and Marc Reuter performing originals King Crimson numbers and some Fripp solo gems.  I recorded just the one from the show and took a few photos.  Callahan's Music Hall is tiny and the band hung around after the show.  I met both Pat and Tony, got one of the sticks from Pat and a photo with Mr. Levin.  This show was a lot of fun and kept my King Crimson fluids flowing until the end of November shows...

Rock on!

Posted Image

Posted Image



#66 Boots

Boots

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3215 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Guitar World
  • Interests:art, design, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Neil Gaiman, Clive Barker

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:54 AM

This band was before my time.

#67 ytserush

ytserush

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4288 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 03 November 2017 - 06:18 PM

View Postvaportrailer, on 27 October 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

View Postytserush, on 27 October 2017 - 03:27 PM, said:

View Postvaportrailer, on 25 October 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

Holy friggin' smokes!



Fripp seems to be having fun here. He actually MOVES!

Fripp begins to let the demons out 13:45.
14:54-15:21: they're out!

Sartori in Tangier is another intense one. Whew!

The whole band is firing on all cylinders.
Tony Levin's playing seems to kick them into high gear.

Great stuff. Thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Again, a great DVD. But that's King Crimson.....

Stumbled across this last night:



Fun! Sounds like they would have been brutally loud!

They can be.

#68 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5217 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:07 PM

View PostBoots, on 29 October 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

This band was before my time.

The Beatles were before my time and yet they continue to excite and interest my ear. Old music ain't bad, except for that Chipmunk's Christmas song and Hildegard of Bingen.

Posted Image
"I'm a woman in love and I love what it's doing to me."

#69 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

    Vapor Trail

  • Members
  • 18558 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Hospital Productions - Kayin State
  • Interests:Leaving Your Body Map

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:43 PM

View Postvaportrailer, on 03 November 2017 - 07:07 PM, said:

View PostBoots, on 29 October 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

This band was before my time.

The Beatles were before my time and yet they continue to excite and interest my ear. Old music ain't bad, except for that Chipmunk's Christmas song and Hildegard of Bingen.

Posted Image
"I'm a woman in love and I love what it's doing to me."
I'd estimate half of what I listen to are before my time. Nothing wrong nor right w/that; it is what it is.

#70 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 5348 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:58 PM

Just gonna say what I've heard from KC has sounded pretty cool / awesome, but they're records are always more expensive, whether digital or vinyl or anywhere in between. As a result, I have yet to listen to them as much as any of the other big classic prog bands, and I feel like that isn't my fault.

#71 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5217 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:57 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 09 November 2017 - 06:58 PM, said:

Just gonna say what I've heard from KC has sounded pretty cool / awesome, but they're records are always more expensive, whether digital or vinyl or anywhere in between. As a result, I have yet to listen to them as much as any of the other big classic prog bands, and I feel like that isn't my fault.

Try a second-hand record/cd store?
Dumb answer, eh? ;)
KC recordings are a good investment as you'll probably play them many, many times.
Just do some research and see which era/recording interests you the most.
"Islands" would be a disappointing first buy, as would "Lizard" (it was mine, and I was disappointed).

Aw, just bite the bullet and get "Court" and either "Larks' Tongues" or "Red".
"Larks' Tongues" has more group improvisation, and extra (and very interesting) percussion.
"Red" is heavier, more song-y and quite the listening experience. A very dark sounding record.

This is pretty cool:

Muir was a HUGE influence on Bruford.

Have fun listening!

Posted Image

Edited by vaportrailer, 10 November 2017 - 03:57 PM.


#72 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

    Vapor Trail

  • Members
  • 18558 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Hospital Productions - Kayin State
  • Interests:Leaving Your Body Map

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:48 PM

For what it's worth, I've only owned/borrowed (from my alma mater's library of all places)/heard 5 KC albums (ITCOTCK, Lizard, Larks', Red and Discipline) yet that didn't deter my enjoyment of seeing them live this past Halloween. Maybe I'm approaching it w/the caveat that the current KC is all I know as far as them being a live band is concerned, but I thought they were awesome and the band post-Squire (RIP) Yes should've and could've been live.

Once I can afford it, I'm making it a priority to get the Radical Action 3CD/BluRay. It'd be sweet if KC releases a download/recording of the show I went to through DGM as well.

Edited by PolarizeMe, 10 November 2017 - 05:49 PM.


#73 Wil1972

Wil1972

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1903 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alabama

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:56 PM

In the Court of the Crimson King
Red
Discipline
In the Wake of Poseidon
Larks Tongues in Aspic
Thrak
Three of a Perfect Pair
Starless and Bible Black
The Power to Believe
Beat
The ConstruKction of Light
Islands
Lizard



In that order...

Edited by Wil1972, 10 November 2017 - 10:56 PM.


#74 ytserush

ytserush

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4288 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:08 AM

View PostPolarizeMe, on 10 November 2017 - 05:48 PM, said:

For what it's worth, I've only owned/borrowed (from my alma mater's library of all places)/heard 5 KC albums (ITCOTCK, Lizard, Larks', Red and Discipline) yet that didn't deter my enjoyment of seeing them live this past Halloween. Maybe I'm approaching it w/the caveat that the current KC is all I know as far as them being a live band is concerned, but I thought they were awesome and the band post-Squire (RIP) Yes should've and could've been live.

Once I can afford it, I'm making it a priority to get the Radical Action 3CD/BluRay. It'd be sweet if KC releases a download/recording of the show I went to through DGM as well.

King Crimson and Yes are completely different bands.

#75 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

    Vapor Trail

  • Members
  • 18558 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Hospital Productions - Kayin State
  • Interests:Leaving Your Body Map

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:51 PM

View Postytserush, on 11 November 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

View PostPolarizeMe, on 10 November 2017 - 05:48 PM, said:

For what it's worth, I've only owned/borrowed (from my alma mater's library of all places)/heard 5 KC albums (ITCOTCK, Lizard, Larks', Red and Discipline) yet that didn't deter my enjoyment of seeing them live this past Halloween. Maybe I'm approaching it w/the caveat that the current KC is all I know as far as them being a live band is concerned, but I thought they were awesome and the band post-Squire (RIP) Yes should've and could've been live.

Once I can afford it, I'm making it a priority to get the Radical Action 3CD/BluRay. It'd be sweet if KC releases a download/recording of the show I went to through DGM as well.

King Crimson and Yes are completely different bands.
Indeed, and personally Crimson is more in my cup of coffee. I like a few Yes albums and Close To The Edge is one of my favorite prog albums, but they never left that big of an impact on me as Crimson did.

#76 ytserush

ytserush

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 4288 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:United States

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:11 AM

View PostPolarizeMe, on 28 November 2017 - 12:51 PM, said:

View Postytserush, on 11 November 2017 - 09:08 AM, said:

View PostPolarizeMe, on 10 November 2017 - 05:48 PM, said:

For what it's worth, I've only owned/borrowed (from my alma mater's library of all places)/heard 5 KC albums (ITCOTCK, Lizard, Larks', Red and Discipline) yet that didn't deter my enjoyment of seeing them live this past Halloween. Maybe I'm approaching it w/the caveat that the current KC is all I know as far as them being a live band is concerned, but I thought they were awesome and the band post-Squire (RIP) Yes should've and could've been live.

Once I can afford it, I'm making it a priority to get the Radical Action 3CD/BluRay. It'd be sweet if KC releases a download/recording of the show I went to through DGM as well.

King Crimson and Yes are completely different bands.
Indeed, and personally Crimson is more in my cup of coffee. I like a few Yes albums and Close To The Edge is one of my favorite prog albums, but they never left that big of an impact on me as Crimson did.

Crimson is one of those bands that are in a league of their own. They're a whole other thing.

#77 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 669 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Back in The Homeland... Go, PACK, GO! On Wisconsin!
  • Interests:Football, hockey, cycling, golf, music

Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:29 PM

Yet another bump.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#78 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

    The God Of Balance

  • Members
  • 5217 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:08 PM

Your bump coincided with my stumble across this:



Grab a kazoo for some "Do-it-yourself-Fripp" fun the whole family will enjoy!

Posted Image

Edited by vaportrailer, 07 May 2018 - 03:10 PM.


#79 Bigbobby10

Bigbobby10

    The Professor

  • Members *
  • 3231 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:16 PM

Ill rank the albums (I have listened) to in order

In the Court of the Crimson King
Red
Island
Larks' Tongues In Aspic
Lizard
Discipline
In the Wake of Poseidon
Starless and Bible Black

#80 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

    The Sphere

  • Members *
  • 7542 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

    Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:57 AM

My kid wore the Radical Action tour shirt yesterday!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users