King Crimson rules.

Finbar

QUOTE (I Get High On You @ Feb 1 2008, 12:22 AM)
Sorry, I had to dig up this thread. Just started listening to some King Crimson. The three 80s albums have really caught my ear. I'm gonna keep listening...

We're in this boat together new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 10 2008, 09:47 AM)
Astonishing group, every incarnation.
I have every album, on CD and vinyl.
My most prized possessions are a mint vinyl copy of Absent Lovers and a half-speed vinyl master of Lark's Tongue In Aspic.

Got the 4 cd The Great Deceiver during the week.

Carlsberg don't do live albums but if they did.............

Mind-blowing.

Say what??

Absent Lovers on VINYL?

Do tell!!

Crim-heads, if you like the 80s era band, go get Absent Lovers. NOW. You will thank me later.

It's phenomenal.

And if you like the Wetton/Bruford era, you NEED The Great Deceiver.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

King Crimson does indeed rule. cool.gif

I'm still kind of a noob though.....I just got Larks' Tongues In Aspic a couple weeks ago and I need to get In the Wake of Poseidon, Lizard, and Beat. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Sep 5 2008, 08:20 PM)
King Crimson does indeed rule. cool.gif

I'm still kind of a noob though.....I just got Larks' Tongues In Aspic a couple weeks ago and I need to get In the Wake of Poseidon, Lizard, and Beat. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Beat is great. trink38.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 10 2008, 06:32 AM)
QUOTE (Larks @ Jan 10 2008, 05:02 AM)
you know from my user name that i'm a huge fan.. they introduced me to Prog music..

all the albums from the first one to Discipline are a must(umm except Islands maybe..)

indeed, of all the albums from the original incarnation of the band (1969-1974), islands is the one throwaway. all of the rest are well worth owning and most of them are brilliant...

bumper.gif

I've given some re-thought to Islands as I've been listening through it.

Ok, it's still far and away clearly their worst 70's album, and their only really weak link from that era, but it's not ALL bad.

I think where Islands really falters is the lyrics. Or maybe it's how the lyrics are used. And I guess I have to say that while it does have some musical high points, it's not nearly as imaginative as what came before or would come after. Every time I hear Formentera Lady I think I should really enjoy it, but it just kind of falls flat to me. The lyrics, while actually pretty great, sound a bit forced. Anyway, there's a lot about this album that doesn't work.

That said, Sailor's Tale, the 12+ minute instrumental, is a lot better than I initially thought. I really wish the falsetto vocalizing wasn't there in the first half of the song as it puts a real damper on the song, but otherwise it's actually got some really amazing music.

The other instrumental, Prelude: Song of the Gulls, isn't quite as inspired, but it's still decent. It's musically somewhat akin to Providence, the only somewhat weak spot on the otherwise excellent Red.

If only the parts of this album with singing were better, this album could have been great.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Sep 5 2008, 10:14 PM)
My most prized possessions are a mint vinyl copy of Absent Lovers and a half-speed vinyl master of Lark's Tongue In Aspic.

Mind-blowing.

Say what??

Absent Lovers on VINYL?

Do tell!!

Crim-heads, if you like the 80s era band, go get Absent Lovers. NOW. You will thank me later.

It's phenomenal.

So sorry MS!! Only read this now, 2 years late....

It's a one disc lp, made in Canada, clearly unauthorised, from the '84 Le Spectrum show in Montreal. On Poverty Records, labelled on the vinyl "Buddy Love Sings About Girls", song titles include "My Favourite Enema Nurse" & "Crystal Swings Both Ways".......all bonkers.

Actual listing:

ONE

Red

Matte Kudasai

Three Of a Perfect Pair

Indiscipline

Sartori in Tangier

TWO

Frame By Frame

Man With An Open Heart

Sleepless

Heartbeat

Elephant Talk

A nice piece. I rarely play it, the double cd does the job!!

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 12 2010, 02:24 PM)

Mind-blowing.

Say what??

Absent Lovers on VINYL?

Do tell!!

It's phenomenal.

It's a one disc lp, made in Canada, clearly unauthorised, from the '84 Le Spectrum show in Montreal. On Poverty Records, labelled on the vinyl "Buddy Love Sings About Girls", song titles include "My Favourite Enema Nurse" & "Crystal Swings Both Ways".......all bonkers.

Actual listing:

ONE

Red

Matte Kudasai

Three Of a Perfect Pair

Indiscipline

Sartori in Tangier

TWO

Frame By Frame

Man With An Open Heart

Sleepless

Heartbeat

Elephant Talk

Hey there. No worries!

So it's unofficial. That makes a bit more sense.

I have to admit, though, if DGM decided to release the full Absent Lovers show on vinyl I would have to buy it. cool.gif

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 12 2010, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 12 2010, 02:24 PM)

Mind-blowing.

Say what??

Absent Lovers on VINYL?

Do tell!!

It's phenomenal.

Actual listing:

ONE

Red

Matte Kudasai

Three Of a Perfect Pair

Indiscipline

Sartori in Tangier

TWO

Frame By Frame

Man With An Open Heart

Sleepless

Heartbeat

Elephant Talk

Hey there. No worries!

So it's unofficial. That makes a bit more sense.

I have to admit, though, if DGM decided to release the full Absent Lovers show on vinyl I would have to buy it. cool.gif

You and me both!! Fantastic album. trink39.gif

as seen on Steven Wilson's website:

The next 2 reissues in the King Crimson stereo / surround sound remix series, In the Wake of Poseidon, and Islands, are set for release on 11th October, as CD/DVDA sets. They will be available to pre-order from Headphone Dust from September. Once again all the music has been remixed from the original master tapes by SW with Robert Fripp, along with a lot of bonus out-take material mixed for the first time, and mastered by Simon Heyworth. You can find full details of the contents on the DGM website.

Edited by Soni

They definitely have a sound of their own and I do like some of it, however a lot of their stuff tends to be too technical, too clinical and lacks passion and feeling at times. I'm not really a fan of their endless tinkering around for a what seems an eternity that doesn't really go anywhere, like an actual tune which they could use more of.

QUOTE (tjtull @ May 13 2011, 07:59 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,May 13 2011, 07:58 AM)
Lizard is one of the greatest albums in existence.

Agreed but the review I posted is worth a read, especially for KC fans.

I'll read it when i get home. I posted before i saw that because lizard is one of the greatest albums in existence. I listened to it, coincidentally, last night. bacon.gif

QUOTE (Larks @ Jan 10 2008, 07:04 PM)
Amen brother.

im trying to find other 70s prog albums that are "evil"

best band to come to mind are :Van der graaf generator.

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif x2

On progarchives, both VDGG and KC are considered to be eclectic prog. I guess that's the best prog there is, along with symphonic wub.gif

Edited by Good,bad,andrush

The Thrak box is curdling the parts of my brain that were functioning.

Dribble.

I was tempted to get the boxed set, as THRAK is one of my most appreciated (and played) albums. But it was a lot more than I've ever spent on any one recording. So I got the surround mix format. Would be interested in knowing what other goodies that were in the box would be of interest from those sessions. I had Vroom and Vroom Vroom at the time of release, but think they didn't make the cut when I dumped a bunch of discs/dvds a few years ago. I don't recall the Vroom takes to be anything special. What are you enjoying most from the boxed set?

[as a side note: I don't really care for the new mix, so it's only been played a handful of times before I decided I will just continue to play the original]

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 2

I was introduced to King Crimson during my first year of college. In the Court of the Crimson King... It was love at first listen! I've seen them 3 times; once in Seattle during the THRAK tour in 1995 and twice more recently when they played a ton of the '70s best from Red, Starless and Larks' Tongues... I've also seen The Tony Levin Band once, Adrian Belew four times and Robert Fripp three times; once when he opened for Porcupine Tree doing SoundScapes and twice with his crew of Crafty Guitarists... the first of those was in about 1990 in Madison, then last June, here in Detroit. The Detroit show of The Orchestra of Crafty Guitarists was performed in a Catholic church that was built in the late 1800s. It is a beautiful building and the sound of 50 acoustic guitars inside was spectacular. The Sept, 2014, King Crimson show at The Barrymore Theater in Madison, remains one of the most deeply moving live shows I've ever attended... Here are a few photos of the recent venues... Rock ON!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Bucky%20Bikes%20the%20Bay%20Sept%2019%202009/0610161845a_zpsod8x0e7c.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Bucky%20Bikes%20the%20Bay%20Sept%2019%202009/0610161924_zpsmvpda91g.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/King%20Crimson%202014/King%20Crimson%20Barrymore_zps1ek0y6cf.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/King%20Crimson%202014/Frippp_zpsyoxn1v6h.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/King%20Crimson%202014/Levin_zpssusiwldb.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z33/bfwgjma/Adrian%20Belew%20Slims%20San%20Fran%20CA%20Oct%2018%202009/BelewatSlims039.jpg