King Crimson rules.

Finbar

I'm content with watching Radical Action if/when I'm in the mood. My interest would change if there was new music on the horizon, but they're touring more as a tribute band or nostalgic act nowadays.

crimson are probably the only band discussed on this forum that isn't a nostalgia act

• Like 2

I'm content with watching Radical Action if/when I'm in the mood. My interest would change if there was new music on the horizon, but they're touring more as a tribute band or nostalgic act nowadays.

crimson are probably the only band discussed on this forum that isn't a nostalgia act

One of a relatively small group of bands where the music is more important than the people playing it.

• Like 1

Are Priest a Nostalgia act? Firepower is really quite contemporary. And Segue could list you dozens of bands he discusses around here that are very modern.

Anyone else checking out the 50th anniversary rarities being released on YouTube?

Very cool to hear the entire version of this bad-boy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMO3ucNnlpU

I've seen about half. I wait until a few pile up and them watch them rather than watching them one at a time. Just one more band I've been spoiled by......

• Like 1

So today I satiated my huger for more KC with... In The Wake On Poseidon, on vinyl!

After the first listen, yes of course I hear the similarities to ITCOTCK, but I also hear the very noticeable differences. For bands with a more consistent sound than KC's, I doubt there would be much talk about the similarities between ITWOP and ITCOTCK being too many. First off, I love the Peace bookends. There are many ways to do these kinds of tracks incorrectly, but here KC achieves results as pleasing as Pigs On The Wing or some of Queen's early career short songs (Nevermore, Dear Friends). Second off, Pictures Of A City and Cadence And Cascade are both stellar. CaC in particular is one of the more beautiful songs I've ever heard from a prog rock band. The title track here is the only one that veers close enough to a track on ITCOTCK (Epitaph) for me to find questionable, but the melody is solid and the playing is great, so no complaints. Cat Food I find very enjoyable and a bit closer to Lake's future in ELP than anything else I've heard from KC. That leaves The Devil's Triangle. Honestly, I can't judge this one on first listen and expect my opinion to have any staying power. I certainly didn't dislike it, but I did find it plodded on after a while when I had hoped it would develop into something more conventional. I can certainly hear a strong precedent for Jacob's Ladder in the bass and drum march!

Great album, love the artwork as well. Excellent record to have on vinyl. And at $14 bucks with pretty flawless sound, I'm more than happy with my purchase.

• Like 2

One of a relatively small group of bands where the music is more important than the people playing it.

What I mean is - there's no new, original music being made as a cohesive unit. Once you tour repeatedly, solely on old material I think you've ventured into nostalgia. Rush ended their career mostly in this fashion too. Many do.

Doesn't mean they won't sell tickets and release some form of live bluray/dvd, which will make it seemingly worth theirs and our time to pay attention. But I guess I'm done with KC until they release something new. It's been 16+ years since we had anything new from them. And of the tidbits of new things we've been given as rarities, I haven't thought any of them were found gold (generally a feeling of "Oh, so I can hear why this was left off or dropped in lieu of this other track").

I don't mean to come off as critical of a band I truly enjoy, but I won't let fellow fans fall into delusion over the state of the band, either. In the context of KC's history, this is the death rattle and a bit of a money grab at this stage. I hope they prove me wrong, but they've had 16 years to do so and haven't. So...

BTW, the Power to Believe 5.1 remix is fairly decent and worth any KC fan buying. The new stereo mix isn't leaps and bounds better, I never thought PtB was an album needing a remix anyway (same for THRAK, which the remix was actually IMO worse than the original).

Edited by stoopid

So today I satiated my huger for more KC with... In The Wake On Poseidon, on vinyl!

After the first listen, yes of course I hear the similarities to ITCOTCK, but I also hear the very noticeable differences. For bands with a more consistent sound than KC's, I doubt there would be much talk about the similarities between ITWOP and ITCOTCK being too many. First off, I love the Peace bookends. There are many ways to do these kinds of tracks incorrectly, but here KC achieves results as pleasing as Pigs On The Wing or some of Queen's early career short songs (Nevermore, Dear Friends). Second off, Pictures Of A City and Cadence And Cascade are both stellar. CaC in particular is one of the more beautiful songs I've ever heard from a prog rock band. The title track here is the only one that veers close enough to a track on ITCOTCK (Epitaph) for me to find questionable, but the melody is solid and the playing is great, so no complaints. Cat Food I find very enjoyable and a bit closer to Lake's future in ELP than anything else I've heard from KC. That leaves The Devil's Triangle. Honestly, I can't judge this one on first listen and expect my opinion to have any staying power. I certainly didn't dislike it, but I did find it plodded on after a while when I had hoped it would develop into something more conventional. I can certainly hear a strong precedent for Jacob's Ladder in the bass and drum march!

Great album, love the artwork as well. Excellent record to have on vinyl. And at $14 bucks with pretty flawless sound, I'm more than happy with my purchase.

One day and some 3 or 4 more listens later, ITWOP is still awesome. I think this is a more introverted and a more personal record than its predecessor. Where ITCOTCK is often more directly melodic, and its impact is more unified song to song, ITWOP revels in jazzier styles and more ephemeral passages. The Devil's Triangle I find bewildering, but far from boring. The title track has a gripping outro led by mellotron chords that make some "metal" bands sound soft in comparison. Pictures Of A City is a worthy rival for 21CSM, and I'd argue it has a better melody (if not as catchy as that immortal hook "21st century schizoid man!"). Cadence And Cascade manages to be more beautiful than I Talk To The Wind in its shyness and colorful instrumentation. Cat Food is the kind of quirky track that would turn many off, but for me is a bite of fun and excitement with plenty of musical substance. Lastly, the three Peace pieces (Peaces?) give unifying theme to an album of multifaceted characters (much like the cover). Not to mention the melody is wonderful and moving in a primitive sense. I also love how the intro is a cappella, the middle one is instrumental, and the outro is unified.

• Like 3

One day and some 3 or 4 more listens later, ITWOP is still awesome. I think this is a more introverted and a more personal record than its predecessor. Where ITCOTCK is often more directly melodic, and its impact is more unified song to song, ITWOP revels in jazzier styles and more ephemeral passages. The Devil's Triangle I find bewildering, but far from boring. The title track has a gripping outro led by mellotron chords that make some "metal" bands sound soft in comparison. Pictures Of A City is a worthy rival for 21CSM, and I'd argue it has a better melody (if not as catchy as that immortal hook "21st century schizoid man!"). Cadence And Cascade manages to be more beautiful than I Talk To The Wind in its shyness and colorful instrumentation. Cat Food is the kind of quirky track that would turn many off, but for me is a bite of fun and excitement with plenty of musical substance. Lastly, the three Peace pieces (Peaces?) give unifying theme to an album of multifaceted characters (much like the cover). Not to mention the melody is wonderful and moving in a primitive sense. I also love how the intro is a cappella, the middle one is instrumental, and the outro is unified.

Nice! "The Devil's Triangle" is kind of goofy to these ears, but the rest is pretty much stellar. Michael Giles is such a musical drummer, and you can hear how Peart picked up some of his tricks.

What's next? The metallic Larks Tongues? The streamlined Discipline? The perplexing Lizard?

http://coolalbumreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/King-Crimson-33.jpg

Bet you didn't know Robert Fripp has a tiny left arm. That's why his arms are never shown on KC album covers. :yes:

• Like 1

What I mean is - there's no new, original music being made as a cohesive unit. Once you tour repeatedly, solely on old material I think you've ventured into nostalgia. Rush ended their career mostly in this fashion too. Many do.

Doesn't mean they won't sell tickets and release some form of live bluray/dvd, which will make it seemingly worth theirs and our time to pay attention. But I guess I'm done with KC until they release something new. It's been 16+ years since we had anything new from them. And of the tidbits of new things we've been given as rarities, I haven't thought any of them were found gold (generally a feeling of "Oh, so I can hear why this was left off or dropped in lieu of this other track").

I don't mean to come off as critical of a band I truly enjoy, but I won't let fellow fans fall into delusion over the state of the band, either. In the context of KC's history, this is the death rattle and a bit of a money grab at this stage. I hope they prove me wrong, but they've had 16 years to do so and haven't. So...

BTW, the Power to Believe 5.1 remix is fairly decent and worth any KC fan buying. The new stereo mix isn't leaps and bounds better, I never thought PtB was an album needing a remix anyway (same for THRAK, which the remix was actually IMO worse than the original).

Can't speak to what they are doing now as I'll see them in September, But they never play the same song the same way twice. Sure some of the indentifiable themes may be recognizable but I have a difficult time calling mostly improv nostalgia. I think they can just about get away it everything because of their process where many bands including Rush wouldn't be able to do that. I haven't seen much of this tour other than the 50 celebration videos because mostly want to go into my show not having a clue about what they will play.

I suppose you could argue that reissue boxes are a cash grab but my interest is mostly in the live document. I sure don't mind any sonic improvement or a remix when it comes to King Crimson but the live stuff is what I really have interest in.

• Like 1

Nice! "The Devil's Triangle" is kind of goofy to these ears, but the rest is pretty much stellar. Michael Giles is such a musical drummer, and you can hear how Peart picked up some of his tricks.

What's next? The metallic Larks Tongues? The streamlined Discipline? The perplexing Lizard?

Bet you didn't know Robert Fripp has a tiny left arm. That's why his arms are never shown on KC album covers. :yes:

We shall see when I get there. For now it's on to less costly adventures, ELP and Gentle Giant.

• Like 1

While I admit this is not my favorite period of the band, I do like this album. It's very subtle and reflective and don't jump out at you like Something like Red or VROOM might.

• Like 2

While I admit this is not my favorite period of the band, I do like this album. It's very subtle and reflective and don't jump out at you like Something like Red or VROOM might.

Yes! I love its introverted attitude, makes me want to keep coming back!

• Like 2

We shall see when I get there. For now it's on to less costly adventures, ELP and Gentle Giant.

Gentle Giant are highly weird and quite entertaining. :yes:

• Like 1

Yes! I love its introverted attitude, makes me want to keep coming back!

I don't have very many live recordings during this period but I should pull one out and revisit how these songs come over live.

Edited by ytserush
  • Like 1

Ok, what are they? Maybe something like this:

Rule number one: Must have three drummers on stage at all times.

Guitarist and leader must always sit on a chair

Must include at least one other member from "the old days."

Must put out more live recordings to prevent further bootlegging of live shows.

Seriously, I am a fan. I might see them again actually. I have only seen them twice. If it wasn't for King Crimson and Yes I would probably not be a big prog rock fan.

Edited by New_World_Man

Have a few Gentle Giant CDs. They're not a band I listen to a lot. Haven't really acquired the taste. LOVE Emerson, Lake and Palmer/Powell though.

• Like 2

I'm curious as to how an individual can 'drive to 1981' to quote Robert Fripp of King Crimson.

That's a lot of miles to put on a vehicle for sure.

Guess one would have to pick up a league of gentlemen and a few roches along the way......not to mention a fine session bassist/Stickist and a Bowie/Zappa tour alumni....

I'm curious as to how an individual can 'drive to 1981' to quote Robert Fripp of King Crimson.

That's a lot of miles to put on a vehicle for sure.

Guess one would have to pick up a league of gentlemen and a few roches along the way......not to mention a fine session bassist/Stickist and a Bowie/Zappa tour alumni....

Exposure album was just before the reboot.

• Like 1

My friend Steve and I apparently are going to see Crimson in September. He's never seen them (something he can't quite believe because he's been aware of them forever)... and I've only seen them once (1995).

Can't wait!!!

Going to be a lot different than the double trio.

• Like 1

God, saw them in late '70/early '71 at Detroit's Eastown Theater in support of Lizard. Fripp kept asking for patience "while we tune the untunable", probably referring to the Mellotron, and Boz Burrell looked a little lost onstage. Was a hell of a show, encoring with a wild version of The Devil's Triangle.

I have Live in Toronto loaded onto the MP3 player, but I need more of the early stuff!

• Like 4