Samuel L. Jackson on 50 Cent

Jack Aubrey

Whoah.

From Dark Horizons

Samuel L. Jackson has turned down the chance to work with one of his movie icons - because it's in a film starring rapper 50 Cent reports Contact Music.

Irish movie-maker Jim Sheridan ("In America") was targeting Jackson for a role in his new film which the actor was pleased about, until he realised the role was opposite rapper 50 Cent in his movie debut. Jackson has been extremely vocal about sharing the stage with unproven actors:

"Hollywood people tend to think that because one is successful in one aspect of entertainment they can bring them into this particular world and make a success out of them. They ask people like me to be in a film with those people that they are kind of headlining and your name ends up behind them. If you do that, it sanctions the fact that these people come into this world and you think they are worthy of you sharing your time on screen with them. I don't particularly think that".

Jackson went on about the specific incidents which happened: "A month or so ago, someone called me about the 50 Cent movie and I'm like, 'What are you calling me for?' I don't even need to read that because that's not something I want to do. I like listening to 50 Cent and I can groove to his music but I don't want to groove to him on screen, just yet. Maybe if he does five movies and he shows some talent. I mean how does he get to work with Jim Sheridan and I don't. What is it about 50 Cent that makes Jim Sheridan say, 'I'd really like to make a movie with him'".

It's not a dis. Samuel L. Jackson has paid his dues and he's done a lot of great stuff. It would be a big step down professionally (but not from a marketing standpoint, though) from acting with Kevin Spacey in The Negotiator, for example. (Had to do a Spacey tie-in.) I don't think Jackson would feel dissed if 50 Cent didn't want to cut a CD with him, either.

To my mind, Jackson has sufficient pulling power not to need any big name co-star. What he says is blunt, honest and totally fair. Inevitably, a 50 cent film will have to focus on his looks and his music, because that's what wil pull his fans into theatres.

Jackson would end up playing second fiddle to that priority, and his days of playing second fiddle are over.