Holiday Cooking

Pags

WOW some of what's going on in this kitchen is AWESOME! biggrin.gif

Christmas cookies and eggplant and stuff shells and the gravy and home-made chicken soup and the fridge FULL of seafood and a ham and things to make an antipasto and more cookies and these INCREDIBLE ricotta cheese balls fried in a batter and covered in powdered sugar. OMG are these good. I love being the taste tester.

I just finished the anisette icing on a bunch of the cookies, too. Yum.

I hope your kitchens are hoping, too. Enjoy!!

653.gif trink38.gif

• Like 2

QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 23 2007, 05:11 PM)
WOW some of what's going on in this kitchen is AWESOME! biggrin.gif

Christmas cookies and eggplant and stuff shells and the gravy and home-made chicken soup and the fridge FULL of seafood and a ham and things to make an antipasto and more cookies and these INCREDIBLE ricotta cheese balls fried in a batter and covered in powdered sugar. OMG are these good. I love being the taste tester.

I just finished the anisette icing on a bunch of the cookies, too. Yum.

I hope your kitchens are hoping, too. Enjoy!!

653.gif trink38.gif

I can see your house full of Holiday Cheer, Pags!

You have the relatives over for X-Mass?

QUOTE (SlackABob @ Dec 23 2007, 05:13 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Dec 23 2007, 05:11 PM)
WOW some of what's going on in this kitchen is AWESOME!  biggrin.gif

Christmas cookies and eggplant and stuff shells and the gravy and home-made chicken soup and the fridge FULL of seafood and a ham and things to make an antipasto and more cookies and these INCREDIBLE ricotta cheese balls fried in a batter and covered in powdered sugar.  OMG are these good.  I love being the taste tester.

I just finished the anisette icing on a bunch of the cookies, too.  Yum. 

I hope your kitchens are hoping, too.  Enjoy!!

653.gif  trink38.gif

I can see your house full of Holiday Cheer, Pags!

You have the relatives over for X-Mass?

Christmas day will be here with my in-laws, who are the best. And they'll be bringing Vinnie's home-made lasagne which is out of this world. Damn, I love eating during the holidays. biggrin.gif

How about you?

That's great! Just a small Dinner with my brother Rich and his Family...

His wife Leslie is a dynamite cook!

I'll find out very soon what's on the menu, they're shopping right now..

QUOTE (blonde77th @ Dec 23 2007, 05:34 PM)
Smelling & tasting is the best ! Watch out Pag's 10 lb gain over the holidays joker.gif

I get 2 turkey dinners one at my bestest friends & 1 the following day with my tribe mmmmmmmm the food & doggie plates for home wink.gif

That's a whole lotta turkey, Blonde..

I hope you enjoy yourself smile.gif

QUOTE (SlackABob @ Dec 23 2007, 05:29 PM)
That's great! Just a small Dinner with my brother Rich and his Family...

His wife Leslie is a dynamite cook!

I'll find out very soon what's on the menu, they're shopping right now..

Once they get back and start emptying the bags... let us know. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (blonde77th @ Dec 23 2007, 05:34 PM)
Smelling & tasting is the best ! Watch out Pag's 10 lb gain over the holidays joker.gif

I get 2 turkey dinners one at my bestest friends & 1 the following day with my tribe mmmmmmmm the food & doggie plates for home wink.gif

I love turkey!! Sounds great, Blonde. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Dec 23 2007, 05:46 PM)
Pags, let me know when John and I should arrive for dinner. Don't worry, I'll bring my own silverware. biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

Show up by 2:00 to be in time for the antipasto. I didn't mention the dinner ware. All the christmas plates, and the silver, and the crystal.

I can't wait for the crab legs. YES!!

So what are your plans, CT?

Pags,

On Christmas Eve, I'll split my time between visiting each of my parents (they're divorced). I think we're opening gifts at my father's house tomorrow afternoon. Then I go to my mother's and visit with family and eat hors d'oeuvres. The little ones open some of their presents.

Christmas Day, I go back to the same places but for bigger meals (turkey, stuffing, ham, cured ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, black eye peas, collard greens, cabbage, sweet potatoes, dinner rolls, chicken salad, potato salad, candied yams, and plenty of desserts of different kinds such as pies and cakes mostly)

My stepbrother and his partner are arriving from California Wednesday and we'll be going out for a Christmas dinner on Thursday. Right now, it's Olive Garden but I'm lobbying to get it moved to Carrabba's Italian Grill. Their sirloin marsala is so damn good!

We had a good ol' Southern dinner at my mom's today - my brother and sister and families were there, and it was goooood.

My folks will come here on Christmas morning for brunch, and I'm making a potato and leek breakfast casserole plus blueberry-raspberry streusel muffins. I tried that meal a few weeks ago and my crew liked it, so I figured it would be good for a busy Christmas morning. I'm going to make the muffins and get the casserole ready tomorrow.

I've been baking up a storm, too: chocolate dipped peanut butter balls, oatmeal scotchies (cookies), fudge...

biggrin.gif

The number of dishes that I'll be missing out on this year back at CASTLE BLAZE in Florida is depressing. But I'll especially be missing out on Dad's roast pork and spring rolls (not to mention the more traditional western stuff like turkey). I'd consider selling my soul to the devil (if I hadn't sold it already) for a few bites of that Christmas dinner. And I don't even wanna think about the multitude of desserts. After the feast I can imagine one of the other Blaze brothers asking me the typical question, "Johnny, you want another beer or do you wanna switch over to wine or rum?"

I wonder if they could fed-ex all that crap out here?

Happy Cooking and Dining All common001.gif

Rather than create a new thread, I found this old one started by Pags.

What do you have planned to make for Christmas dinner? Or a special Christmas breakfast?

How about Christmas Eve? Is it a tradition in your family? It always was in mine, and I often loved that dinner better than the one we had on Christmas.

We would go over to my grandmother's apartment downtown. She lived in a walk-up apartment with the most beautiful view of the New York City skyline. She could barely speak English, although she had been in this country for sixty and more years.

The entire table in her kitchen would be filled with food from one end to the other - all fish dishes primarily because, being the eve of a holy day, it used to be a day of abstinence from meat.

But what I remember the most were the kielbasas she had made strung behind her huge cast iron wood stove.

The next day we would go back, and we would have a ham dinner. She made chicken too, and she would also make one of my favorite dishes - pigs feet and sauerkraut!!! :drool: :LOL:

When she died, my mother carried the traditions on.

Edited by Lorraine

The usual fare: Friday will be the last day for most of my coworkers, so I'll be making my infamous DUI Rum Cake. Christmas Eve night is spent at a long time friend's place for her annual spread. Cold seafood appetizer, a big ham, a potato and onion frittata, magic cookie bars and lots of boxed candy, usually Sanders or See's. Christmas Day I do a small ham with the usual fixins-sweet potato bake, crescent rolls, and Karen's ambrosia salad. Then on New Year's Eve, our traditional pasta dinner, usually lasagna.
  • Like 2

Haven't planned out Christmas dinner yet. On Christmas eve, I have to make homemade German Potato salad. It's quite a job, but very delicious!
  • Like 3

I SO miss my dad and our annual pre-holiday event: Scratch made fresh kielbasa. He used to make it alone, until I took some into work for a pot luck. The bro's didn't say much then, but the next year, they all were asking " hey PJ, are you bringing in some of that kielbasa? You better!", and I started helping make it because we needed to make double the amount.

Ah, memories!

• Like 1

I miss making the amount of cookies I used to with the kids to help me. We had a lot of good recipes! Sugar cookies, sugar cookies with sprinkles, molasses cookies, snickerdoodles, something everyone in Pittsburgh calls Russian tea cakes (although they are not cakes), and some type of pastry my friend's aunt taught us to make with a flat cookie on the bottom, cookie with a hole cut out on the top, and apricot preserves in the middle. Kind of like a thumbprint cookie, but different. And also my grand aunt's Austrian horseshoe cookies!

I'm making myself hungry!! I will probably only do sugar cookies and molasses cookies this year.

• Like 4

...and some type of pastry my friend's aunt taught us to make with a flat cookie on the bottom, cookie with a hole cut out on the top, and apricot preserves in the middle.

My mother used to make them. They were delicious. Wish I had inherited her talent for cooking and baking.

• Like 1

...and some type of pastry my friend's aunt taught us to make with a flat cookie on the bottom, cookie with a hole cut out on the top, and apricot preserves in the middle.

My mother used to make them. They were delicious. Wish I had inherited her talent for cooking and baking.

I wish I had the exact recipe, or more likely, I need Aunt Mamie. :) My best friend's aunt used to make them with us in elementary school and jr. high, and I never thought to ask. I wanted to make them years later and found a recipe that is pretty good but it's not exactly the same as I remember.

...but it's not exactly the same as I remember.

It never is, is it? Sometimes I think that is because the quality of the ingredients we use today is inferior to back then. Very little that was around back then tastes the same now as it once did.

I just remembered two more things my mother used to make - Poppy Seed Roll and Walnut Roll. She used to roll out the dough and put a layer of either poppy seed or walnut mixture on top of the dough, roll it up, let it rise, then bake it.

The most I make is sugar cookies or butter cookies. Hard to mess those up! :LOL:

Going nuts running around hitting the Trader Joe's for a particular brand of Moscato Karen likes, but the stores keep telling me "this stuff is flying off the shelves". I'm having one of them hold me 3 bottles (2 for the wife and one for our friends Christmas Eve dinner party.)