Messin with La Villa

_pete_

I was practicing for an upcoming gig and hit the record button for the heck of it.

We always did the ESL version of LaVilla but I want to do it closer to the studio track for this show.

Last time I used a PRS CE24 and a fair bit of gain. This time I decided to use my Sheraton and a lot less gain. I got it very close to the right tone I think. There is some hiss and digital distortion in there but it's a byproduct of recording direct and not miking my cabinet. I know I have a few bad notes in there but it was just one quick take. The sound coming out of the cabinet is really close.

Take a listen. I'm on the left channel and Rush is on the right channel. Play with your balance control until it sounds ok.

http://media.putfile.com/LVS-tone-test-1

Great job as usual, Pete. Not perfect, but you weren't trying to be. You played those F# pulloffs at the end perfectly (I sure as hell can't). I'd been playing this song a LOT recently, totally re-learning it and refining it (at least until I got busy with work in the past month). Of all Rush's songs that I know how to play, this is the one I have the most fun with.

Thanks!!

The band's next gig is Feb. 16th. I've been working hard at zeroing in on all the right guitar tones for everything we do and I think I'm as close as I'm gonna get.

I wish the gig was sooner. I'm getting antsy.

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Dec 19 2007, 12:33 PM)
Thanks!!

The band's next gig is Feb. 16th. I've been working hard at zeroing in on all the right guitar tones for everything we do and I think I'm as close as I'm gonna get.

Do you have a set list planned out yet?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 19 2007, 12:43 PM)
Thanks!!

We're pretty close.

I think this is just about it. With guitar changes and having to load sampler banks, we have to do things in a pretty structured order.

Like Rush, we can't change things on the fly because of the samplers.

Set 1:

Far Cry

Tom Sawyer

Analog Kid

Dreamline

Bastille Day

By-Tor (shortened)

Xanadu

Enemy Within

Subdivisions

Broons Bane

Trees

YYZ

Drum solo

Cygnus/Hemispheres medley

Set 2:

2112 (overture & temples)

Main Monkey Business

Red Barchetta

Freewill

Mission

Territories

Limelight

MalNar

Between the Wheels

Finding My Way

Passage to Bangkok

La Villa

Natural Science

Closer to the Heart

Encore:

Spirit of Radio

Working Man

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Dec 19 2007, 01:21 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 19 2007, 12:43 PM)
Thanks!!

We're pretty close.

I think this is just about it. With guitar changes and having to load sampler banks, we have to do things in a pretty structured order.

Like Rush, we can't change things on the fly because of the samplers.

Set 1:

Far Cry

Tom Sawyer

Analog Kid

Dreamline

Bastille Day

By-Tor (shortened)

Xanadu

Enemy Within

Subdivisions

Broons Bane

Trees

YYZ

Drum solo

Cygnus/Hemispheres medley

Set 2:

2112 (overture & temples)

Main Monkey Business

Red Barchetta

Freewill

Mission

Territories

Limelight

MalNar

Between the Wheels

Finding My Way

Passage to Bangkok

La Villa

Natural Science

Closer to the Heart

Encore:

Spirit of Radio

Working Man

Pretty diverse set there. I like that you do songs like "Enemy Within" "Territories" "Mission" "Main Monkey" and "BTW."

How do you handle the 12-string acoustic parts in "Main Monkey?"

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 19 2007, 01:29 PM)
How do you handle the 12-string acoustic parts in "Main Monkey?"

For Monkey Biz I use this Edwards Les Paul.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h247/pete2112/DSCN2201.jpg

It has a GraphTech piezo that I installed in it. It does the acoustic parts very well and I can mix the electric in with that just a tiny bit. It comes off sounding just right.

The piezo runs to an acoustic amp through a separate output jack. It's turned on or off with an A/B switch. I use a volume pedal to control how much of the electric sound is mixed with it.

Pete, I see your tribute has been playing in Nashville... that's great! Checked out your website - it's cool that you guys are a three piece doing Rush!

I used to live in Nashville, in the early 1990's... and played some of the same clubs you guys are hitting - 12th and Porter, Exit / In, etc.

I loved living in Nashville at the time... I was in Antioch area, off of Murfeesboro Rd and Bell Rd. I need to get back up there for a vacation sometime...

let me know when you are playing there and I will try and coordinate a trip! trink39.gif

Edited by rushbass

Sounds fantastic man! Your tone is awesome with that LP. The only thing I can hear about the effects are that there is a little more slapback delay on some of the opening sections. This is the kind of Rush song that makes me want to improvise on the solo parts. You were damn close and I salute you for it !

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Dec 19 2007, 08:04 PM)
Sounds fantastic man! Your tone is awesome with that LP. The only thing I can hear about the effects are that there is a little more slapback delay on some of the opening sections. This is the kind of Rush song that makes me want to improvise on the solo parts. You were damn close and I salute you for it !

Thanks but it's not an LP.

It's an Epi Sheraton with Duncan Seth Lover pickups.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h247/pete2112/My%20Guitars/Sheraton1-1.jpg

You think I need more or less delay? I didn't quite understand what you meant.

QUOTE (rushbass @ Dec 19 2007, 06:56 PM)
Pete, I see your tribute has been playing in Nashville... that's great! Checked out your website - it's cool that you guys are a three piece doing Rush!

I used to live in Nashville, in the early 1990's... and played some of the same clubs you guys are hitting - 12th and Porter, Exit / In, etc.

I loved living in Nashville at the time... I was in Antioch area, off of Murfeesboro Rd and Bell Rd. I need to get back up there for a vacation sometime...

let me know when you are playing there and I will try and coordinate a trip! trink39.gif

Our bass player lives around there.

Our gig is Saturday, Feb. 16th at the Exit In.

http://www.ticketbiscuit.com/exitin/EventP...638&VD=2/1/2008

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Dec 19 2007, 08:14 PM)
QUOTE (rushbass @ Dec 19 2007, 06:56 PM)
Pete, I see your tribute has been playing in Nashville... that's great!  Checked out your website - it's cool that you guys are a three piece doing Rush!

I loved living in Nashville at the time... I was in Antioch area, off of Murfeesboro Rd and Bell Rd.  I need to get back up there for a vacation sometime...

let me know when you are playing there and I will try and coordinate a trip!  trink39.gif

Our bass player lives around there.

Our gig is Saturday, Feb. 16th at the Exit In.

http://www.ticketbiscuit.com/exitin/EventP...638&VD=2/1/2008

Cool - thanks! trink39.gif

Maybe I can take the wife up to Nashville for a Valentine's weekend get-away... of course, she'd kill me if she knew my motive was to catch a Rush tribute show... ohmy.gif

BTW, she hates Rush! laugh.gif

Someone pick me up in Philly, I'll buy the Red Bulls.

EDIT:

"Maybe I can take the wife up to Nashville for a Valentine's weekend get-away... of course, she'd kill me if she knew my motive was to catch a Rush tribute show..."....I was just think the same thing....ha rofl3.gif

That would go over like a fart in church....

Edited by jdouglas

QUOTE (_pete_ @ Dec 19 2007, 09:12 PM)
QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Dec 19 2007, 08:04 PM)

Thanks but it's not an LP.

It's an Epi Sheraton with Duncan Seth Lover pickups.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h247/pete2112/My%20Guitars/Sheraton1-1.jpg

You think I need more or less delay? I didn't quite understand what you meant.

Oh sorry. Well damn. That guitar sounds fantastic.

The delay is not even that big of a deal. It sounds good the way you have it smile.gif. I think I hear a little more slapback on the Lifeson version toward the beginning of the song after hitting the power chords and the guitar and bass are playing solo notes. But thats just being picky. I really don't think you need to change anything. It sounds great.

Dude, if you are this jacked 2 months before the show, it's gotta / gonna be a good one.

Do you add the extra measures before the traditional dreamline solo (like alex does now) as a chance to just wail and not worry about the structure?

(or other places)?

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Dec 21 2007, 09:29 AM)
Dude, if you are this jacked 2 months before the show, it's gotta / gonna be a good one.

Do you add the extra measures before the traditional dreamline solo (like alex does now) as a chance to just wail and not worry about the structure?
(or other places)?

Yeah, we do the live version from Different Stages. I go for a tone closer to that one too. The guitar on the studio version sounds too thin for me.

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Dec 21 2007, 10:48 AM)
Great job as always pete. Your picking is so right on the money. I sometimes have trouble getting my right hand to keep up with my left hand so when I hear you play a fast run, I pay attention.

Thanks Mike!

I always appreciate your feedback.

I used to do a lot of Malmsteen stuff when I was a kid. I can't do it anymore but it was good picking hand training.