2112 or Snakes & Arrows?

Earthshine

WHich do you like more?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. WHich do you like more?

• Snakes & Arrows

Right now, S&A is still kind of fresh. I'm still discovering new stuff it in. I love 2112, but I'm so familiar with that album...I mean, I have it on vinyl.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Dec 14 2007, 05:19 PM)
Right now, S&A is still kind of fresh. I'm still discovering new stuff it in. I love 2112, but I'm so familiar with that album...I mean, I have it on vinyl.

Pretty much the same ... except I don't have it on vinyl ... wink.gif

Snakes & Arrows. I'm not too much of a fan of 2112.

2112, even with all its brilliance, is overrated, mostly because the lyrics, which at times, are very cheesy (What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it gives forth a sound. It's got wires that vibrate, and give music. What can this thing be that I found... 062802puke_prv.gif ).

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Dec 14 2007, 05:01 PM)
While 2112 is considered by many to be the best album Rush has ever done, Snakes & Arrows is great in a different kind of way.

Hmmm... 2112 was so cutting edge in its time and was breathtaking in scope and style (despite the unbearably cheesy lyrics!); that might be why many consider it the "best" Rush album. I also think it was the first album where the style was clearly all their own, without the obvious Who/Yes/Zeppelin influences of Fly By Night and Caress of Steel.

I still love it and it defines a time of my life that will always be special.

However, all that aside, if we're talking about a maturity of musical style perspective, Snakes and Arrows blows it away; Earthshine hit the nail on the head with the comment that S & A "says and does far more." If what we get from Rush music is style and content, then it's got to be S & A.

I dunno - I recently burned a CD with all my favorite 2.gif tracks and about the same number of tunes from each of those albums is represented laugh.gif so clearly I can't decide either!

L

wtf.gif

Don't get me wrong, S&A is a decent album (well, at least half of it is), but to suggest that it is even in the same league as their great albums is stretching it a bit.

2112 is dramatically superior in every way

QUOTE (Fridge @ Dec 21 2007, 08:38 PM)
wtf.gif

Don't get me wrong, S&A is a decent album (well, at least half of it is), but to suggest that it is even in the same league as their great albums is stretching it a bit.

2112 is dramatically superior in every way

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

I vote 2112, really. I mean 2112 is one of the classic Rush albums.. and Snakes and Arrows is still pretty new, working its way into Rush history.

It's like Rush versus a modern band... aka 2112 vs. Snakes and Arrows. It's more of how well you can adapt to new things.

I have to admit, Snakes and Arrows is a great album, but I'm leaning more towards 2112. I know the album, as many Rush fans do, back to front. With Snakes and Arrows, there are still things I'm learning about it, no matter how minuscule they may be.

Also, you're saying that 2112 has too many weak tracks... well. Let's see. S&A has 13 tracks and 2112 only 6. Well, if S&A had only 6 tracks, wouldn't you notice the weak tracks a little more?

Just throwing that possibility out there... unsure.gif

Edited by Retrospective

QUOTE (Retrospective @ Dec 27 2007, 08:58 PM)
S&A has 13 tracks and 2112 only 6. Well, if S&A had only 6 tracks, wouldn't you notice the weak tracks a little more?

Just throwing that possibility out there...  unsure.gif

That's a really good point.

However, I would suggest that side 1 of 2112 could be considered more of a series of tracks strung together rather than as a single track - bringing the total number of tracks on 2112 to twelve.

The only downside to that is the seven tracks comprising 2112 Medley aren't all strong in and of themselves, either. (IMHO, "Soliloquy" is pretty dumb ;-). Side 2 was my favorite, anyway.

I can only think of two tracks on Snakes and Arrows that might be a little weaker than the others, but that's only by comparison to the other tracks on the album. There are a few more tunes on 2112 that are weak overall.

Just another 2 cents' worth.

trink39.gif