Caress of Steel

Uncle

I love COS but I have to admit that they sound better on ATWS because they have more balls than the studio COS.

Just listened to this album this afternoon while cleaning house. My 13 yr.old actually put it on. I love this album for a number of reasons. I really love that this is the album that they are just coming into who they are as a band. Its an album with a lil bit of everything. Its edgy and raw. COS is an album of extremes, from hard rock to prog. I love that it shows what they are made of by how short of a time they recorded it in. Plus The Necromancer just kicks ass!

QUOTE (pixey @ Jan 9 2005, 11:29 PM)
Just listened to this album this afternoon while cleaning house. My 13 yr.old actually put it on. I love this album for a number of reasons. I really love that this is the album that they are just coming into who they are as a band. Its an album with a lil bit of everything. Its edgy and raw. COS is an album of extremes, from hard rock to prog. I love that it shows what they are made of by how short of a time they recorded it in. Plus The Necromancer just kicks ass!

You are so right! smile.gif

QUOTE (Uncle @ Jan 8 2005, 07:39 PM)
Seeing as the Perm evaluation is going so well I think we should discuss the runt of the litter.

I think this album is fantastic and a very important change for Rush yes it had some dodgy tracks but Going Bald had a decent solo and Lakeside Park was at least passable but the other three racks were all classics. Bastille Day is the ultimate ballsy opener and the two epics, well.... this is where it shines

yes! they were messy
yes! they were wierd
but yes! they were also fantastic

Necromancer is worthy of Pink Floyd (aside from the annoying naration) in the beginning then it begins to sound brooding and excellently angry (helped by Geddy's awesome vocals) lol sounds like early prog metal.

Fountain of Lamneth is really really great it has a cool fantasy story and is their most experimental and self indulgant piece until La Villa. This also contains some of Alex's best guitar work along with Necromancer and sounds so much more organic than 2112 and AF2K

Much like Perm this is a transition record and if you take out the two mediocre tracks and replace them with Bytor and the Snowdog you have one of their best albums.

My two pence

i love that album. lakeside park is one of my favorites.

i agree it is a transition album but a good effort.

the necromancer is a continuation of the by-tor saga

cool.gif

QUOTE (giantsv @ Jan 9 2005, 09:06 PM)
Seeing as the Perm evaluation is going so well I think we should discuss the runt of the litter.

I think this album is fantastic and a very important change for Rush yes it had some dodgy tracks but Going Bald had a decent solo and Lakeside Park was at least passable but the other three racks were all classics. Bastille Day is the ultimate ballsy opener and the two epics, well.... this is where it shines

yes! they were messy
yes! they were wierd

Necromancer is worthy of Pink Floyd (aside from the annoying naration) in the beginning then it begins to sound brooding and excellently angry (helped by Geddy's awesome vocals) lol sounds like early prog metal.

Fountain of Lamneth is really really great it has a cool fantasy story and is their most experimental and self indulgant piece until La Villa. This also contains some of Alex's best guitar work along with Necromancer and sounds so much more organic than 2112 and AF2K

Much like Perm this is a transition record and if you take out the two mediocre tracks and replace them with Bytor and the Snowdog you have one of their best albums.

My two pence

cool.gif

Continuation? You bet. By-Tor's redeemed in The Necromancer, but you knew that.

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Jan 10 2005, 12:08 AM)
QUOTE (giantsv @ Jan 9 2005, 09:06 PM)

yes! they were messy
yes! they were wierd

My two pence

cool.gif

Continuation? You bet. By-Tor's redeemed in The Necromancer, but you knew that.

i love that whole time period for them. the whole song saga idea was a great innovation

it lead the way for 2112 and other greats.

you also gotta love that fact that they continued Fear on Vapor Trails

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Jan 9 2005, 10:14 AM)
I've always loved "...bald" from the off, not as a cheesy comic song, but as a serious meditation on our failure to appreciate what we have in the now.

Continual looking ahead to opportunity can blind us to the beauty around us in the here and now.

Then again, I'm funny like that.

For me, COS is the best of the three pre 2112 albums.

Thanks Madra, BALD is not really a comic cheesy song. He can't believe he is that old. It reflects how we/our priorities change as we grow older. We have good ideals when we are young & we lose these as we grow up & start living life. We get caught up in society & the things that we thought were important in our youth we let slip away & we become more matreialistic. We forget to enjoy the simple things. At the end it comes back to doing things your own way.

Read the lyrics, without listening to the song.

Anyways COS is a kick a** album, well I think they all are. I don't have a lesst favorite album.

Youir point about the lyrics to ...Bald are well noted here. However, what I meant to say (if I didn't) is that the feel of the song is cheesy and throwaway. For some reason, to me anyway, it has the feel of a last minute addition to the album. Now, in the past, this has worked to good effect (New Workld Man being a particular point in case) wheras, for me, ...Bald doesn't.

I have gone on record as saying that CoS is one of my least favourtes but that is just as a relative evaluation. For me, a below par Rush album is still streets ahead of most other bands due to the sheer ability of the men involved.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 10 2005, 09:56 AM)
For me, a below par Rush album is still streets ahead of most other bands due to the sheer ability of the men involved.

Exactly how I feel. Their "worst" is leaps & bounds above anyone else's "best"

I have not bought this album yet. I am a semi-audiophile that does NOT buy remasters. I buy only the stuff as it was orginally released on CD. Thus, I am frequenting my local used music store, waiting for a used COS CD to turn up. No luck so far.

I actually found Steel on vinyl the other day, but when the store clerk played it on his turntable the thing skipped every ten seconds.

Needless to say, I haven't heard all of Caress of Steel yet, but definitely want to.

http://www.yopi.de/images/prod_pics/161/e/161823.jpg

I have it on vinyl and I must say it is worth haveing one, but only if in good condition. It is a quality package with the gatefold sleeve and beautifully laid out lyrics.

Just a shame they buggered the colouring up - would have been nice to have seen it as intended

And I quote Hugh Syme:

I had vignetted with an airbrush the blue area around the illustrations, which was later reinterpreted by the film strippers who were making the jackets in Chicago at the time. They took it upon themselves to cut a hard-edged mask around it. The lettering was cast, and chrome plated.

Archived