Caress of Steel

Uncle

Seeing as the Perm evaluation is going so well I think we should discuss the runt of the litter.

I think this album is fantastic and a very important change for Rush yes it had some dodgy tracks but Going Bald had a decent solo and Lakeside Park was at least passable but the other three racks were all classics. Bastille Day is the ultimate ballsy opener and the two epics, well.... this is where it shines

yes! they were messy

yes! they were wierd

but yes! they were also fantastic

Necromancer is worthy of Pink Floyd (aside from the annoying naration) in the beginning then it begins to sound brooding and excellently angry (helped by Geddy's awesome vocals) lol sounds like early prog metal.

Fountain of Lamneth is really really great it has a cool fantasy story and is their most experimental and self indulgant piece until La Villa. This also contains some of Alex's best guitar work along with Necromancer and sounds so much more organic than 2112 and AF2K

Much like Perm this is a transition record and if you take out the two mediocre tracks and replace them with Bytor and the Snowdog you have one of their best albums.

My two pence

Caress of Steel is such a good album. I can put it in and listen for hours on repeat. Bastille Day and The Necromancer give it a harder feel, while Lakeside Park gives it the softer sound and I Think I'm Going Bald might be some comic relief on the album. trink39.gif

COS was hard to get into at first (like many Rush releases), but now I love this one! It is so unique and unusual. I agree with much of what Uncle said. Bastille Day is just a tremendous opener and the epics are just, well, fantastic. I'll pull this one out and give it a listen a couple of times a year, and listen through it about 5 or 6 times, smiling all the while, then put it up again. It's kind of a special Rush treat. cool.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 8 2005, 04:59 PM)
Caress of Steel is such a good album. I can put it in and listen for hours on repeat. Bastille Day and The Necromancer give it a harder feel, while Lakeside Park gives it the softer sound and I Think I'm Going Bald might be some comic relief on the album. trink39.gif

And the critics, they dare say the album is unfocused...

They do not know the power of Rush like we do.

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Jan 8 2005, 08:00 PM)
Caress of Steel is such a good album.  I can put it in and listen for hours on repeat.  Bastille Day and The Necromancer give it a harder feel, while Lakeside Park gives it the softer sound and I Think I'm Going Bald might be some comic relief on the album.  trink39.gif

Critics are fools laugh.gif biggrin.gif

I enjoy this album from time to time, but Lakeside Park and The Necromancer are (IMO) subpar. I just can't stand the narration on Necromancer. However, Bastille Day is a fantastic opener, I Think I'm Going Bald is a good song, and TFOL deserves its own paragraph.

The Fountain of Lamneth, as I was saying, is one of my favourite Rush epics (w/Cygnus X-1 and 2112)... especially for the No One At The Bridge part... that guitar/bass riff is hypnotic. Excellent work there, and that little intro part (I don't even remember the name, eh) where he sings "I am born, I am free" and whatnot. Beautiful guitar throughout and one of the precious few songs where the drums are subtle and unimportant. (Apart from of course "Didacts and Narpets", heh).

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Jan 8 2005, 05:02 PM)
QUOTE (sfuentes @ Jan 8 2005, 08:00 PM)
Caress of Steel is such a good album.  I can put it in and listen for hours on repeat.  Bastille Day and The Necromancer give it a harder feel, while Lakeside Park gives it the softer sound and I Think I'm Going Bald might be some comic relief on the album.  trink39.gif

Critics are fools laugh.gif biggrin.gif

yes.gif

I have a lot of respect for CoS, even if it is one of my least favourite releases.

My main bugbear is the production which shows the lack of preperation time the band were given in order to record which is, probably, their most ambitious album. Like PeW, it is very much a transitional album but suffers more teething pains then the others.

And I'm sorry,, but I just can't get to grips with Bald, its too throwaway and cheesy for my tastes

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 8 2005, 08:45 PM)
I have a lot of respect for CoS, even if it is one of my least favourite releases.

My main bugbear is the production which shows the lack of preperation time the band were given in order to record which is, probably, their most ambitious album. Like PeW, it is very much a transitional album but suffers more teething pains then the others.

And I'm sorry,, but I just can't get to grips with Bald, its too throwaway and cheesy for my tastes

Agree with every word, Slaine. It's the album I get into the least. Although I do LOVE the opening track and I have recently taken a firm liking to Necromancer. This album does have its moments -- some very strong ones. But I typically don't listen to it from start to finish.

Ive always liked CoS. Bastille Day dragged me in and the rest of the album (for the most part) kept me interested. Fountain of Lamneth is a great song as is Necromancer. I never liked i think im going bald. But lakeside park isnt that bad.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 8 2005, 05:54 PM)
Believe it or not, I never owned COS until a few days ago! confused13.gif doh.gif

I know the music, but not as well as the rest of the Rush catalogue. Now I can catch up. 1022.gif

same here! I got it on boxing day! I love it alot!!

It has that sort of gothic feel to it. I still have my vinyl copy which I've owned since about '79. I always used to play The Necromancer. I must get it on CD.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 8 2005, 08:45 PM)

goodpost.gif

Definitely cutting their teeth for 2112. But I always liked I Think I'm Going Bald. Just a fun song. I like the sound. It's sounds like it might have been a song they'd had in their club setlist since the begining and finally threw it onto an Lp. I don't know, just like Alex's guitar sound on this one, and Neil's drum work in the middle and the end too. But that's just me! confused13.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Definitely a transitional album,but this doesn't mean it isn't a very good album.

Bastille day and Lakeside Park are two quite conventional songs,but very pleasant.

On the other hand I think I'm going bald is bald is one of my least favourite Rush song and I don't appreciate The nectomancer neither.

The Fountain of Lamenth is superb in some moments,but boring in others,also because of the production.An anticipation of a perfect suite called 2112.

I've always loved "...bald" from the off, not as a cheesy comic song, but as a serious meditation on our failure to appreciate what we have in the now.

Continual looking ahead to opportunity can blind us to the beauty around us in the here and now.

Then again, I'm funny like that.

For me, COS is the best of the three pre 2112 albums.

I got COS and PoW on the same day, a year ago or so. Thought it would be kind of fascinating to have two records that have exactly a decade between them, and just relish the differences on them.

Well, COS was the record that I found myself playing over and over again, while PoW was put aside for the time being as I just didn't have an appetite for the soundscape of that record. And I still prefer COS, a record that gets played regularly when I'm in the mood for some early Rush.

I like every track, even the much maligned ITIGB and Lakeside Park. The latter has great interplay, understated but very tasteful, especially for such a young band. And ITIGB is a good rocker, still in the Led Zeppelin vein but more sophisticated than the Zep-infused tracks on their debut album.

COS is right up there in my books, a top ten Rush record for sure. It has a charming quality to it that just wins me over whenever I listen to it... A product from the age of innocence, full of exuberance, spirit and genuine creativity.

I can never stop singing to "The fountain of Lamneth!" new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Man, I love the huge epic stories they threw into their early albums, like By-Tor and the Snow Dog, and Cygnus, and Xanadu! Ya know, the ones with... Chapters! laugh.gif

By the way, The whole theme the Caress of Steel album gives is the reason I have Steel before Rat. biggrin.gif

I really like this album, Lakeside Park and I Think I'm going Bald are pretty good songs, not the best, but there not bad either. I could listen to Fountain of Lamneth over and over again, same with Bastile Day. To bad that I could never get into The Necromancer. But all in all, its a good album!

Archived