Alex's missed notes...

rickyrob

....just a bit of fun as I'm drunk laugh.gif

I have been playing ATWAS recently and I always seemed to notice that Alex might have just caught the wrong note on 'In the End' midway through his middle-of-the-song riff. Every time I hear it I think "..he's not quite caught the right note there".

I'm sure you all know what I mean.

Has anybody noticed any other 'missed notes' played live?

....and I'm now past half way to becoming a Solar Federalist and obtaining that really cool 2112-style logo.... biggrin.gif

On the "Echoes from the Stages" bootleg, Alex totally botches it on YYZ starting to play the next part of the song a few measures too early. he then catches his mistake within a second or two and gets back on the same page with Geddy and Neil. Just goes to show, no matter how many times you've played something, you can still screw it up cool.gif

On RIR, he messes up the timing in the "Big Money" solo. On page 225 of Contents Under Pressure, Geddy says that Alex was having trouble with one of the cameramen during the first set, and it caused him to lose concentration on one of the songs, and "had a gaffe" during the solo. Geddy didn't mention the song, but I'll bet it was "Money."

Alex isn't a flawless technician. He's a purely instinctive player who comes up with totally original guitar parts, plays amazing rhythm guitar, and while he may miss a note here and there in his solos, he plays them with guts and emotion. Players like John Petrucci and Yngwie Malmsteen can play very fast and hit every note, but they sound like machines -- "All sound and fury, signifying nothing." I'll take Alex pouring his heart out every time.

AlexFinal.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 8 2005, 03:29 PM)
On RIR, he messes up the timing in the "Big Money" solo. On page 225 of Contents Under Pressure, Geddy says that Alex was having trouble with one of the cameramen during the first set, and it caused him to lose concentration on one of the songs, and "had a gaffe" during the solo. Geddy didn't mention the song, but I'll bet it was "Money."

Alex isn't a flawless technician. He's a purely instinctive player who comes up with totally original guitar parts, plays amazing rhythm guitar, and while he may miss a note here and there in his solos, he plays them with guts and emotion. Players like John Petrucci and Yngwie Malmsteen can play very fast and hit every note, but they sound like machines -- "All sound and fury, signifying nothing." I'll take Alex pouring his heart out every time.

AlexFinal.gif

So true...no-one is perfect, but the show must go on. laugh.gif

Ive always noticed he makes a slight mistake in 2112 on different stages. its right after the begining of overture when he goes high up on the neck. i think he accidently bends a string and the note goes sharp. but i dont know. it just catches my ear every time. confused13.gif

May I be so bold as to say, "Oh well, no ones perfect... not even Alex?"

I mean, c'mon, cut the guy some slack already. You can't be perfect all the time.

he he

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Jan 8 2005, 08:04 PM)
Yes. That is correct. Plus, at the age that him, and all of Rush are at, who would be surprised that a few notes are missed?

"at that age" they sounded better than they ever have on the R30 tour. cool.gif

Every time I hear the overtones in "Freewill" during the "band solo" in any live version they always sound different. Just shows he's human. As a drummer, and for as little guitar as I play, I know overtones are hard to hit right every time. AlexFinal.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 8 2005, 03:29 PM)

AlexFinal.gif

goodpost.gif Well said.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jan 9 2005, 01:43 AM)
Watch it the "age" stuff around here!!! mad.gif

Ditto....I'm 4 years older than you Drumnut. Us 'wrinkly's need some respect laugh.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Jan 9 2005, 12:23 PM)

Ditto....I'm 4 years older than you Drumnut. Us 'wrinkly's need some respect laugh.gif

You old git Rick laugh.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 9 2005, 07:56 AM)

Hey... I resemble that remark! http://fool.exler.ru/sm/old.gif

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Jan 9 2005, 09:54 AM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 9 2005, 07:56 AM)

Hey... I resemble that remark! http://fool.exler.ru/sm/old.gif

You gotta get old someday laugh.gif

A little off topic, but what about Geddy? He has historically flubbed the only line he has in 2112, probabbly a dozen times that I've heard him do it! doh.gif It's like a mental block when he gets to that part. Just can't quite get the timing down sometimes. I kinda wait for it each time I hear it live.... "Is he gonna get it this time? Come on Ged! You can do it!" Kinda a game for me, and I'm cheerin' them on! Oh, who cares if they flub once in a while. Better than going to see some band and finding out they can't even play what they recorded! no.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (afansince74 @ Jan 9 2005, 10:04 AM)
A little off topic, but what about Geddy? He has historically flubbed the only line he has in 2112, probabbly a dozen times that I've heard him do it! doh.gif It's like a mental block when he gets to that part. Just can't quite get the timing down sometimes. I kinda wait for it each time I hear it live.... "Is he gonna get it this time? Come on Ged! You can do it!" Kinda a game for me, and I'm cheerin' them on! Oh, who cares if they flub once in a while. Better than going to see some band and finding out they can't even play what they recorded! no.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

laugh.gif ...."..and the meek shall, erm, what was that again, oh yes, inherit, erm, the Earth..." laugh.gif

Archived