Ladi's mind, body, soul connection

ladirushfan80

ok, so i know that we've got the Time To Get Swole thread,

and it is chock full of GREAT stuff in there...without a doubt!

i've contributed tons of great stuff in there!

but it's not gender specific.

so, my thought a week or so back was to have a section of the TRF world where i could post useful info for us NWW...

stuff about health, getting fit, love lines, beauty

etc etc etc.

sound like a plan?

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

ok. here goes....

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love it!!! Great idea for a thread. yes.gif

So I will contribute ...

You Don't Have To Be Superwoman To Be A Super Mom

Timesaving Tips for Working Mothers

The days when mothers stayed home and took care strictly of household duties are long gone. While being a stay-at-home mother is no picnic, when time must be divided between household and family duties and demands of the workplace, there doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to accomplish everything.

One of the most dramatic changes in family life over the past half century in has been the rapid transition to two-income families in the United States. In 1948, only 11 percent of married women with children under the age of 6 worked outside the home. Today, more than 60 percent of married women with young children work outside the home, and 39 percent work in full-time jobs. The 2000 Census also revealed that there are 6.5 million single working mothers in America. These mothers face even greater challenges than do mothers who can rely on a spouse or significant other for help.

How is a mother supposed to do her best to raise her children, keep her relationship with her spouse or significant other strong, while performing at a high level in the workplace? It's isn't easy to successfully juggle all of these competing activities, but many working mothers have found that being able to manage their time effectively goes a long way in making things a lot less stressful.

Just what are some of the best ways to turn the clock into your ally instead of enemy? Here are a few tips from working moms who believe anyone can use even a few of these and realize some serious time-leveraging benefits.

Tip Number One: Set Goals.

A goal can be as small as trying to make your morning routines go smoother, or it could be something as big as getting a new job or striving for a new position with your current employer. No matter how big or small, writing out your goals and your plan on how to get there on paper. That will help you keep your focus. One working mother compared writing out her goals and plans as if it was a confession to herself: "If you confess it, you'll possess it," she said. And it's a creed she lives by every day.

Tip Number Two: Break Goals Into Smaller Tasks.

For example, if one of your goals is to do that load of laundry that's been piling up, you might now see that as a goal that is reached in a single step. If you break it up into several smaller steps, your sense of accomplishment will seem to grow as well. So don't just look at it as "do laundry" as one large step; rather, break it up into several steps: wash laundry; take it out of washer; place it into the dryer; remove from dryer; fold the clothes; place clothes into proper drawers or closest. This way you've completed six steps to reach your goal, instead of a single step for the same goal. Mothers who have tried this testify that it builds a much greater sense of accomplishment than a single step used to in accomplishing the same goal. Crossing off six steps is a much better feeling than crossing off just one!

Tip Number Three: Delegate.

This is a fancy word for sharing responsibility with others. Ask your kids, spouse, or significant others to help around the house. This applies to getting meals ready, doing laundry, cleaning the house, yard work, grocery shopping, and other things that need to be done on a daily basis. Many mothers use a reward system with charts for children to earn points for each chore they complete to reinforce good habits and show how much their help is appreciated.

Tip Number Four: Plan Meals Ahead.

If you shop for food more than three times per week, try to eventually whittle those grocery runs to one per week. This will help you develop better meal plans, and save a lot of time and money in the long run. And do you remember the crock pot that grandma used to prepare so many delicious meals? They are staging a comeback as working mothers in particular realize how valuable they are as time savers. Today's crock-pots come in a range of sizes and can be set to start cooking whenever you decide. Not only can you load them up with healthy ingredients from simple recipes, but you, your children and spouse can return to house that smells as if the chef has been hard at it all day.

Tip Number Five: Live Close To Work.

While this may seem insignificant in the big-picture of job seeking, it can be a key factor in making your life a lot less stressful. It's not unusual for most of us to have a 30-minute drive each way to work. Many have it even worse. Traffic congestion keeps getting worse, and when you have to drop off and pick up a child (or children) at daycare or school activities, and you spend a lot of your waking hours behind the wheel. And it goes without saying doing all these things while trying to get to work on time can put a lot of added stress in your day. If you're feeling too much pressure to get too many things done with too little time, both before and after work, you may want to consider moving closer to your workplace. Not only will you save wear and tear on your vehicle, you'll save wear and tear on yourself!

So there you have it. Five quick tips to help you get more done in less time, and building closer family ties while you do it. That's a plan even Super Woman would admire.

These are some great tips and will help you in the long run to

have more time for some well deserved R and R.

cosmo.gif

Okay ladies this is more from a recent experience than anything I've read but I feel the need to pass it along.

I had been given a gift of a 1/2 hour massage session for Mother's Day and finally went the day after christmas.

ohmy.gif

It had to be one of the best things I have done for myself in years. It took a few moments to truly relax but once I did I could actually feel my body relax and blood flow to my hands and feet. It was an odd but well needed feeling.

After the time was up I left with these thoughts running though my head...

1) For months I have been trying to ease some of the tension in my life and here after a 1/2 hour I feel better.

2) My Dr has given me medications and orders for physical therapy, breaking my bank and causing more problems. So for $40 once or twice a month - 1/2 the cost I could feel like this...

3) why did I wait so long.

So here it is 2 days later and my body is still calm, which helps me get though my daily routine and then some.

Ladies do yourselves a huge favor a try it out. It will be one of the best gifts you can give yourself. heart.gif

It really has help me mind, body and soul. rose.gif

QUOTE (owlswing @ Dec 28 2007, 07:38 PM)
Okay ladies this is more from a recent experience than anything I've read but I feel the need to pass it along.

I had been given a gift of a 1/2 hour massage session for Mother's Day and finally went the day after christmas.

ohmy.gif

It had to be one of the best things I have done for myself in years. It took a few moments to truly relax but once I did I could actually feel my body relax and blood flow to my hands and feet. It was an odd but well needed feeling.

After the time was up I left with these thoughts running though my head...

1) For months I have been trying to ease some of the tension in my life and here after a 1/2 hour I feel better.

2) My Dr has given me medications and orders for physical therapy, breaking my bank and causing more problems. So for $40 once or twice a month - 1/2 the cost I could feel like this...

3) why did I wait so long.

So here it is 2 days later and my body is still calm, which helps me get though my daily routine and then some.

Ladies do yourselves a huge favor a try it out. It will be one of the best gifts you can give yourself. heart.gif

It really has help me mind, body and soul. rose.gif

I'm glad you posted this Owlswing, because I've been meaning to go get a massage. It sounds like it'll be truly worth it, from what you said biggrin.gif trink39.gif

How you experience and react to life is colored by your natural disposition or temperament. Whether your nature is intense, easy-going, active or passive, your ability to cope with life and find peace of mind is greatly influenced by your personal temperament.

Balance, however, is the key. Learning how to create more peace of mind, by injecting serene moments into your day, will reduce your stress level, create a calmer internal environment and improve your overall quality of life.

Take a moment to consider these five steps for gaining peace of mind:

1. Presume a physical attitude of relaxation. Relax all muscular and nervous tension. Breathe slowly and rhythmically, and actually feel this sense of peace move through your body. You might even want to try keeping a slight smile on your face while doing this.

2. Evoke thoughts of peace. Realize its value in your busy and stress filled day. By making your desire for peace of mind more conscious, you will also make it more available.

3. Adopt a mantra that invites peacefulness and serenity. Try to actually feel this sense of peace by repeating a word or phrase that you find calming and relaxing during stressful times. Consider using the word PEACE as it is an acronym for these five steps.

4. Create situations, in your mind, that would normally tend to agitate or irritate you and see and feel yourself calm and serene. This functions as an emotional rehearsal that prepares you for those moments when stress is at hand. Practice makes perfect!

5. Engage yourself each morning with a plan for peace. While looking at yourself in the mirror, remind yourself to remain serene and peaceful throughout your day whatever happens. Starting each day with this intention sets the stage to help keep you calm, minimize your stress level and maximize peace of mind. Learn to be proactive about bringing PEACE into your world. Practice this technique and make serenity a more mindful and common event. Be more of an active participant in your life and you can literally change the world you live in. The bottom line is that if you can perform the mental gymnastics necessary to create a more peaceful state of mind, you will also defuse the stress in your life, setting the stage for a longer, healthier and happier life.

Why are more and more people suffering from depression, anxiety and discontentment? Reasons vary from person to person, of course, but there are some key factors to look into when examining one's own happiness.

# "REALIZE THAT ENDURING HAPPINESS DOESN'T, COME FROM 'MAKING IT.'" Short-term happiness differs from long-term, enduring happiness. Much like the elation we get from accomplishing a feat, short-term happiness is brief. The goal here is to obtain long-term happiness, not simply a happiness high that comes from "making it."

# "SAVOR THE MOMENT" I believe it was the great John Lennon who said, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." Think about it, how true is this? Many times we are having a great time with friends or family but we are hardly even recognizing it because we are thinking about what we have to do tomorrow. Learn to take each moment by itself and enjoy it!

# "TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR TIME." By managing your time efficiently you will find that you have more time and energy to do things that you enjoy. Plan with your friends ahead of time. For instance, make a plan that every Tuesday you and your friends head to the park for a walk or watch a certain TV program. Learn to cherish this time, take a moment to enjoy this tradition with your friend. You will feel good about yourself and good that you have stuck to this commitment.

# "SEEK WORK AND LEISURE THAT ENGAGES YOUR SKILLS." Why live an unchallenged life? Find little challenges for yourself, whether it be focused on academics, health or family. If you find it hard to go it alone, have a friend join you in the challenge, suddenly you will find some more motivation!

# "JOIN THE MOVEMENT MOVEMENT." Studies overwhelmingly show that exercise promotes happiness. People who are physically fit are shown to have increased self-esteem, less anxiety and more energy. The hardest part about the gym is getting there! So grab a buddy and go, gym buddies are a great asset to your diet and health plan. Leave all excuses behind and get moving.

# "GIVE PRIORITY TO CLOSE RELATIONSHIPS." There isn't a better antidote for sadness than time with intimate friends. People who can name several close, supportive friends -- friends with whom they freely share their ups and downs -- live with greater health and happiness. Our increasingly individualistic society suffers from impoverished social connections, which some psychologists believe is a cause of today's epidemic levels of depression."

Whether it is with your childhood friend, your spouse or simply a neighbor, a get-together or chat can be refreshing.

One of the basic needs we have as humans is to connect with others. We have done this since the beginning of time as it is a driving force in our nature. Close intimate friendships fill that need. There is simply no replacement for this in our lives. You can't buy it, borrow it or steal it, but true happiness demands that we have it in our lives.

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Feb 18 2008, 07:14 AM)
Why are more and more people suffering from depression, anxiety and discontentment? Reasons vary from person to person, of course, but there are some key factors to look into when examining one's own happiness.

# "REALIZE THAT ENDURING HAPPINESS DOESN'T, COME FROM 'MAKING IT.'" Short-term happiness differs from long-term, enduring happiness. Much like the elation we get from accomplishing a feat, short-term happiness is brief. The goal here is to obtain long-term happiness, not simply a happiness high that comes from "making it."

# "SAVOR THE MOMENT" I believe it was the great John Lennon who said, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." Think about it, how true is this? Many times we are having a great time with friends or family but we are hardly even recognizing it because we are thinking about what we have to do tomorrow. Learn to take each moment by itself and enjoy it!

# "TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR TIME." By managing your time efficiently you will find that you have more time and energy to do things that you enjoy. Plan with your friends ahead of time. For instance, make a plan that every Tuesday you and your friends head to the park for a walk or watch a certain TV program. Learn to cherish this time, take a moment to enjoy this tradition with your friend. You will feel good about yourself and good that you have stuck to this commitment.

# "SEEK WORK AND LEISURE THAT ENGAGES YOUR SKILLS." Why live an unchallenged life? Find little challenges for yourself, whether it be focused on academics, health or family. If you find it hard to go it alone, have a friend join you in the challenge, suddenly you will find some more motivation!

# "JOIN THE MOVEMENT MOVEMENT." Studies overwhelmingly show that exercise promotes happiness. People who are physically fit are shown to have increased self-esteem, less anxiety and more energy. The hardest part about the gym is getting there! So grab a buddy and go, gym buddies are a great asset to your diet and health plan. Leave all excuses behind and get moving.

# "GIVE PRIORITY TO CLOSE RELATIONSHIPS." There isn't a better antidote for sadness than time with intimate friends. People who can name several close, supportive friends -- friends with whom they freely share their ups and downs -- live with greater health and happiness. Our increasingly individualistic society suffers from impoverished social connections, which some psychologists believe is a cause of today's epidemic levels of depression."

Whether it is with your childhood friend, your spouse or simply a neighbor, a get-together or chat can be refreshing.

One of the basic needs we have as humans is to connect with others. We have done this since the beginning of time as it is a driving force in our nature. Close intimate friendships fill that need. There is simply no replacement for this in our lives. You can't buy it, borrow it or steal it, but true happiness demands that we have it in our lives.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/sundog918/507917001173574432.gif

A friend gave this to me the other day and I think it is so true! I thought this might be an appropriate place to share it....so here goes.....enjoy!

Women

They smile when they want to scream.

They sing when they want to cry.

They cry when they are happy and laugh when they are nervous.

They fight for what they believe in.

They stand up for injustice.

They don't take "no" for an answer when they believe there is a better solution.

They go without new shoes so their children can have them.

They go to the doctor with a frightened friend.

They love unconditionally.

They cry when their children excel and cheer when thier friends get awards.

They are happy when they hear about a birth or a new marriage.

Their hearts break when a friend dies.

They have sorrow at the loss of a family memeber, yet hey are strong when they think there is no strength left.

They know that a hug and a kiss can heal a broken heart.

Women come in all sizes, in all colors and shapes.

They'll drive, fly, walk, run or email you to show how much they care about you.

The heart of a woman is what makes the world spin!

Women do more than just give birth.

They bring joy and hope.

They give compassion and ideals.

They give moral support to their family and friends.

Women have a lot to say and even more to give.

yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 18 2008, 04:49 PM)
("just for the ladies eh? I wonder if it's safe for me to be in here?")

unsure.gif

ph34r.gif

*looks in anyway*

biggrin.gif

cool10.gif

ohmy.gif

WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN HERE???????

get the f**k out man!!!

laugh.gif

Nah....

i'm just kiddin, duckman

stop on by here anytime.

wink.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Feb 18 2008, 05:22 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Feb 18 2008, 04:49 PM)
("just for the ladies eh? I wonder if it's safe for me to be in here?")

unsure.gif

ph34r.gif

*looks in anyway*

biggrin.gif

cool10.gif

ohmy.gif

WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN HERE???????

get the f**k out man!!!

laugh.gif

Nah....

i'm just kiddin, duckman

stop on by here anytime.

wink.gif

laugh.gif wink.gif

Universal Laws

The law of Divine oneness!

The law of Divine oneness helps us to understand that we live in a world where everything is connected to everything else. Everything we do, say, think and/or mere believe affects others and the universe around us.

2. The law of vibration!

This universal law states that everything in the universe moves, vibrates and travels in circular patterns. The same principle of vibration in the physical world applies to our thoughts, feelings, desires and wills in the etheric world. Each sound, thing and even thought has its own vibrational frequency unique unto itself...

3. The law of action!

The law of action must be applied in order for us to manifest things on earth. Therefore, we must engage in actions that supports our thoughts, dreams, emotions and words....

4. The law of correspondence!

This Universal law states that the principle or laws of physics explains the physical world of energy, light, vibration, and motion have their corresponding principles in the etheric or universe. Maat (as all of this truly is) as above, so is below....

5.The law of cause and effect!

This universal law states that nothing happens by chance or outside the universal laws. Every action has its reaction.

6. The law of compensation!

This universal law is the law of cause and effect applied to blessings and abundance that are provided for us. The visible effects/affects of our deeds, as well...that are given to us in the form of gifts, inheritence, frienship (you and I woman), and/or blessings.

7. The (infamous) law of attraction!

This universal law demonstrates how we create the things, events, and people that comes into our lives. Our thoughts, feelings, words and actions produce energies which in turn attract their like energies. Negative energy attracts its likeness as with positive energies...

8. The law of perpetual transmutation of energy!

This universal law states that person have within them the power to change the conditions in their lives. Higher vibrations consume and transform lower ones. Thus each of us can change the energies in our lives by understanding the universal laws and applying the principles in such a way as to effect change.

9. The law of relativity!

This universal law states that each person will recieve a series of problems (test of initiation) for the purpose of strengthing the light within. We must consider each of these test to be a challenge and remain centered connected to our hearts when proceeeding to solve the problems. This law also teaches us to compare out problems to others problems and put everything into its proper perspective. No matter how bad we percieve our situation to be; there is always someone who is in a worse position. It is all relative...

10. The law of polarity!

This universal law states that everything is on a continuum, and has an opposite. We can suppress and transform undesirable thoughts by concentrating on the opposite pole. It is the law of mental vibrations...

11. The law of rhythm!

This universal law states that everything vibrates and moves to certain rhythms. These rhythms establish seasons, cycles, stages of development, and patterns. Each cycle reflects the regularity of God's...universe. Masters know how to rise above negative parts of a cycle by never getting too excited or allowing negative things to penetrate their concsiousness...

12. The law of gender!

This universal law states that everything has its masculine and feminine principles, and that these are the basics-basis for all creation. The spiritual initiate must balance the masculine and feminine energies within his/her own self to become a master and a true co-creator with God.

9. The law of relativity!

This universal law states that each person will recieve a series of problems (test of initiation) for the purpose of strengthing the light within. We must consider each of these test to be a challenge and remain centered connected to our hearts when proceeeding to solve the problems. This law also teaches us to compare out problems to others problems and put everything into its proper perspective. No matter how bad we percieve our situation to be; there is always someone who is in a worse position. It is all relative...

Something I need to really work on...

Thanks ladi. heart.gif

This is a wonderful thread!

Can't believe I missed it 'til now...

I have something I'd like to share. On giving. It's an idea that my mother-in-law gave me (by example, really... it was so cool!)

*you can start at any time... we just happened to begin in January...*

First, get a large box. Maybe even two. Trust me, it'll fill fast!

Now, each time you go to the grocery store, buy one or two non-perishable items.

A can of Spagetti-o's, a can of tuna, or Spam... Buy a package of those instant potatoes, or maybe some soup. You get the idea..

Just one or two each trip.

When you get home, put the items in the box.

You will find, week-by-week, the box gets filled.

When your box is full of food stuffs, fin the local food bank or shelter. They will be soooooo grateful for the donation!

Or keep going until you hear about a food drive, a natural disaster or simmilar situation. Donate your box of goodies then.

You will have such a fantastic feeling when you do!

And by buying just one or two things each week, it won't be a sudden strain on your pocketbook, but still, it's a hugely welcome gift to wherever you donate to.

You might also consider buying other things for gifting to shelters or disaster relief.

Some stores have great deals on soaps, shampoos, etc... (One nearby often has a 10 for $10, mix and match...)

You might find the dollar store useful for buying hair brushes, combs, barretes, etc...

Around the Winter holiday season, you can find throw blankets and small pillows for about $8- $10...

Or someplaces have deals on "irregular" towels and/or washcloths (often it's a slight difference in colour or something minor like the stitching went a little different!)

Just gather a few, here and there, when the budget allows and when you come accross a deal like that, and when something happens like a natural disaster, or if you know of a shelter in need, donate the care package of these often forgotten nessecities.

If you don't know where to donate, you can always search for The Red Cross. They always need things like that!

We did the food box one year (A lot gets gathered in a year!)

And the bext year we did a food box and a box of the other needed stuff.

We still do the food box every year, and we occationally pick up the other stuff for a future 'others' box

Just a cool idea in the spirit of giving.

Trouble shedding those holiday pounds? Need an energy boost? Just want to have some fun (and feel sexier, too.?.)

Might I suggest Bellydance!

And no, you don't have to find a gym or join a class... you can do it at home!

I got a bellydance video a few years ago, and it's the most fun I've ever had excersizing!

Bellydance is perfect for a woman's body, as it focuses on strengthening and shapeing hips, thighs, tummy and the butt. You'll also get some added strength in your arms and tons of help with you back!

There are many to choose from, some target spesific areas you want to work, some are full-body.

Most will start with stretches and a few warm-up excersises like crunches and leg-lifts, etc...

Then move on to the individual dance moves, isolated and repeted several times. That gets you body familier with the moves. Often, there is a full routine that combines the moves that you learn into a smooth and sensual dance.

Don't stress if you're not as graceful as the dancer/instructor on the tape at first... smoothness and grace come with practice! Bellydance is meant to relieve stress, so just relax and have fun with it!

One of the great things about a tape (or D.V.D, these days... LOL! I sound old or something!) is the pause and rewind buttons! It took me a lot of rewinds to get my body to move the way I wanted it to!

(Oh, lead with the shoulders, no wonder I wasn't getting it!)

Hip pops, hip circles, snake-like spine undulations, shoulder shimmys, graceful 'snake-arms', chest circles, and a variety of other really fun moves...

Yes, it's a work out, yes, you will feel sweaty and tired, but! You'll also feel WONDERFUL!

The cool down often involves slow reaching and stretching as well as deep breathing, to bring you back down to a resting heart rate and resperation rate.

It's an internal massage, it's a fantasic energy booster, it reduces stress, it helps keep you limber, it sculpts feminine curves and works with feminine energy. It celebrates the woman, the Goddess within, the beauty and strength of all women!

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

It's just something I thought you might enjoy trying!

I need to get back to it, myself. I stopped when I got sick a while back, and...

I just need to get back to it!

Archived