Working out & Eating Healthy

double bass chick

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Nov 28 2007, 01:16 PM)
Yeah I gotta get back into shape. Been off on sick leave for too long sad.gif

I'm getting into pilates though, has anyone here tired that and if so does it really work?

Also Im trying to watch what I eat more.

YBT...

you're in toronto... i do and will be teaching STOTT pilates.

love love LOVE it!

i do both reformer & mat work

i hope you stick with it! i cannot say enough good things about it. i used to weight train, and do basic floor exercises until i injured my shoulder. starting to get bored with my routine, i connected with an old customer of ours who i found out was training people out of her house. one class, and i was hooked. i've been with her for over 5 years now... and she was my inspiration to become an instructor myself. i'm stronger, leaner and more flexible than i was before i got into it... PLUS, it has also increased my breathing capasity. being an asthmatic, this was a very important thing for me to discover!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to do Pilates a few years back. I remember enjoying it very much. I'd sometimes spend up to 1 1/2 to 2 hours doing the exercises. Some of them are hard but they really do strengthen the core. yes.gif

However, right now, I'm more into cardio. I love to sweat! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Nov 28 2007, 01:43 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Nov 28 2007, 01:16 PM)
Yeah I gotta get back into shape. Been off on sick leave for too long  sad.gif

I'm getting into pilates though, has anyone here tired that and if so does it really work?

Also Im trying to watch what I eat more.

YBT...

you're in toronto... i do and will be teaching STOTT pilates.

love love LOVE it!

i do both reformer & mat work

i hope you stick with it! i cannot say enough good things about it. i used to weight train, and do basic floor exercises until i injured my shoulder. starting to get bored with my routine, i connected with an old customer of ours who i found out was training people out of her house. one class, and i was hooked. i've been with her for over 5 years now... and she was my inspiration to become an instructor myself. i'm stronger, leaner and more flexible than i was before i got into it... PLUS, it has also increased my breathing capasity. being an asthmatic, this was a very important thing for me to discover!

Thanks ladi80! I've just started doing them and I do notice a change in my body structure. I haven't lost weight yet but the weight I have is becoming firmer in muscle toning. I want to get a gym membership for Christmas cause I wanna get back into cardio workouts to try and lose some of this winter/sick leave weight.

QUOTE (double bass chick @ Dec 2 2007, 11:17 PM)
Does anyone know the best way to tighten abs. Ya, I do old fashioned sit ups, but has anyone tried any of these ab machines that really work?
It seems I can only go so far with sit-ups, plus it hurts my back. biggrin.gif

Try doing crunches with one of those big soft, swishy balls behind your back! I find it hard to do, with my damaged back, only because I have no balance, not because it hurts. But my daughter's abs are defined and rock hard!!! She's 32 and she works out with a personal trainer! So this is what the pro's do at the gym!!

Good luck!

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Dec 3 2007, 04:15 PM)
QUOTE (double bass chick @ Dec 2 2007, 11:17 PM)
Does anyone know the best way to tighten abs. Ya, I do old fashioned sit ups, but has anyone tried any of these ab machines that really work?
It seems I can only go so far with sit-ups, plus it hurts my back. biggrin.gif

Try doing crunches with one of those big soft, swishy balls behind your back! I find it hard to do, with my damaged back, only because I have no balance, not because it hurts. But my daughter's abs are defined and rock hard!!! She's 32 and she works out with a personal trainer! So this is what the pro's do at the gym!!

Good luck!

Hare biggrin.gif

Hey thanks a bunch! I am staying at my friends house right now & she has one. I have been longing for a ," six pack for a chick". laugh.gif

I guess it could also be called a ,"chick pack". I have a somewhat flat stomach, but I have always wanted to sculpt it a bit.

I will start using it asap-thanks! biggrin.gif

p.s. Hey even a 4 pack will do laugh.gif

Edited by double bass chick

i agree with Hare...

a stability ball is a great way to strengthen your abs. lots of great exercises can be performed!

uhm.... Pilates? it's a fabulous core builder as well. yes.gif (altho you don't actually SEE my "8 pack"... it's there..and man are they ever strong!!! laugh.gif )

i don't have much faith in those ab machines i see advertised, but then again, i've never tried one...

really, almost ANY exercise will strengthen your core... the key is to be engaged thoruought whatever ever exercise or routine you're doing.

your abdominal muscles are one of the only muscles in your body that you have to actually think about and concentrate on engaging. move you arms... those muscles move unconciously. move a leg, again, it moves without you having to give it much thought. but think about pulling in your abs.... and the minute you let that thought go... you've lost your connection...

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Dec 4 2007, 07:46 AM)
i agree with Hare...

a stability ball is a great way to strengthen your abs. lots of great exercises can be performed!

uhm.... Pilates? it's a fabulous core builder as well. yes.gif (altho you don't actually SEE my "8 pack"... it's there..and man are they ever strong!!! laugh.gif )

i don't have much faith in those ab machines i see advertised, but then again, i've never tried one...

really, almost ANY exercise will strengthen your core... the key is to be engaged thoruought whatever ever exercise or routine you're doing.

your abdominal muscles are one of the only muscles in your body that you have to actually think about and concentrate on engaging. move you arms... those muscles move unconciously. move a leg, again, it moves without you having to give it much thought. but think about pulling in your abs.... and the minute you let that thought go... you've lost your connection...

Thanks! Time to Isolate biggrin.gif

Also what I have been doing the last few years is doing stairs. Real stairs. It is so much different than a stairmaster. Talk about tightning the butt & thighs. I used to do them in my teens for soccer & track practice. I did them in my 20's, but then stopped doing them for a few years. You can feel them tightning with every one ya do biggrin.gif

I just started with a personal trainer for the first time. I decided I was just gonna take the plunge & go all the way to firmness. He is absolutely kicking my butt!

The first thing he said was,' So, your a cardio girl huh & you think your in shape? Well you are about to find out how out of shape you are" laugh.gif

My gosh, he was right. I am working muscles that have been dormant. Let's just say there is a lot of PAIN laugh.gif But I am trying to keep my eye on the goal...... anyone else ever use a personal trainer?? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (double bass chick @ Jan 25 2008, 09:03 PM)
I just started with a personal trainer for the first time. I decided I was just gonna take the plunge & go all the way to firmness. He is absolutely kicking my butt!
The first thing he said was,' So, your a cardio girl huh & you think your in shape? Well you are about to find out how out of shape you are" laugh.gif
My gosh, he was right. I am working muscles that have been dormant. Let's just say there is a lot of PAIN laugh.gif But I am trying to keep my eye on the goal...... anyone else ever use a personal trainer?? biggrin.gif

No pain no gain, you're probably going to be rock hard in no time.

Just think of the possibilities.

1022.gif

Just be careful that whatever health book you read and follow comes from a reputable source. Avoid anything from Kevin Trudeau (author of "Natural Cures 'They' Don't Want You to Know About"). He is a master scam artist. He is notorious for making false or unsubstantiated claims or stating his opinions as facts.

QUOTE (TheBluePhoenix @ Jan 31 2008, 04:04 PM)
Just be careful that whatever health book you read and follow comes from a reputable source. Avoid anything from Kevin Trudeau (author of "Natural Cures 'They' Don't Want You to Know About"). He is a master scam artist. He is notorious for making false or unsubstantiated claims or stating his opinions as facts.

I totally agree. He spent 2 years in the pen for Fraud. The guy makes me ill. If you watch him on T.V. he is so fake.

I read a lot of Don Colbert. He is Famliy doctor & licensed nutritionist. Also a best seller. The man is very wise indeed biggrin.gif

Got a gym membership that is sitting unused because it's too blasted cold or snowy to drag myself out of the house and get there.

I run stairs at work, as much as possible. Pack my own lunch, and do not do fast food ever!

I think the main point here is, as a friend of mine just pointed out while I sat whining about the incredibly excruciating pain radiating through my legs because I thought it would be a good idea the other day to run double the distance I normally run... moderation is key.

QUOTE (double bass chick @ Feb 18 2008, 05:00 PM)
Do anyone of you women have a problem with working out at a coed gym (which most are)?? Sometimes men staring ph34r.gif is a bit much at times or the pick up lines. Working out is a personal thing & I feel like a piece of meat sometimes. Can't everyone just actually concentrate on the workout when they go. Is it just me laugh.gif

I get where you're coming from.

It is rather bothersome when you go to a co-ed gym and you can just feel the eyes upon you... staring.

If you cannot bring someone with you to work out with, then my suggestion would be to bring an MP3 player with you to get into the zone with.

Concentrate on what you are there to accomplish, all the while tuning everyone else out with the music (or whatever is on your MP3) you are listening to thru the headphones.

It may appear to make you out to be some stand-offish kind of a bitch, but but so be it. You're there to work out, not be a player in the meat market game.

It takes practice to ignore that stuff around you, but in time it will happen.

Thing is, there's a good number of people who join gyms specifically to meet people. I've belonged to co-ed gyms and a women-only gym. The women-only gym was good because everyone left everyone alone and no one tried to look "pretty." The co-ed gyms are murder. Lordy. Women in full-on makeup, sporting matching gym outfits (pants MUST match top) wearing perfume. Cuz nothing is sexier than a woman drenched in sweat with mascara running down her face while the lovely aroma of strong perfume and perspiration fills the air around her. Plus the men are watching you and that just gets creepy. Big time creepy. I actually contemplated joining a new co-ed gym but the guy leading me around, showing me the equipment kept winking at me while explaining that since I don't have manly testosterone, of which he had an overabundance of, I really didn't need to know how to use all the machines. You know, have to keep looking like a girl and stuff. Oy. I just go running outdoors now. Much easier.