Watch Out For Me Thursday

Slaine mac Roth

Thanks Pixey, but those sort of short tactics don't work with me.

One of the most efficient anti-smoking campaigns I've seen is the one running on UK TV at the moment. It shows a little girl laying flowers on her father's grave. I look at my two and that really makes me want to quit.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good Luck Slaine smile.gif We should be making a "quit smoking" thread..its been 2 days for me now, and I can honestly say it ISN'T easy, especially during "stressful" times. As the saying goes..One day at a time, or like me..One HOUR at a time. Here's to a Healthy 2005 trink39.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 11 2005, 07:10 PM)
Thanks Pixey, but those sort of short tactics don't work with me.

One of the most efficient anti-smoking campaigns I've seen is the one running on UK TV at the moment. It shows a little girl laying flowers on her father's grave. I look at my two and that really makes me want to quit.

That would do it for me

I know from expierence that if you really want to quit smoking its very simple and easy. I am an on again off again smoker. I have quit smoking at least 6 times. Only one of them was hard. This time is easy. I have a scar on my chin from the breathing mask, a picture of myself on Life Support, knowledge that my right lung was a lil over 80% filled with pnuemonia, a scar on my arm from a pic line being put in, and many other things. Now my illness wasnt directly caused from smoking but it did help it along. Oh and all the times that I quit smoking and started back up again I lasted for more than a year before I started back up again. I wish you lots of luck!!

Well, its been my first full day and I don't think I've done too bad. The NRT patches have helped keep the cravings to a minimum and, in some cases, totally eradicated them.

Best tactic I've found to resist - when I got home from work I really wanted a cigarette so I went upstairs and played my guitar for an hour.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 12 2005, 02:56 PM)
Well, its been my first full day and I don't think I've done too bad. The NRT patches have helped keep the cravings to a minimum and, in some cases, totally eradicated them.

Best tactic I've found to resist - when I got home from work I really wanted a cigarette so I went upstairs and played my guitar for an hour.

Music is ALWAYS the best medicine for ANYTHING...I hope you were playing 2.gif tunes!!

congrats on ur willpower! best of luck

stock up on lollipops and condoms rofl3.gif

yous remember that old movie "cold turkey" where the WHOLE town stops smoking...funny flick..ill have to get that out from the library soon and watch it gain yes.gif

anyhows..stay strong and b4 u know it, ull wont even like the smmell of them no less the taste. cool10.gif doh.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

I nearly slipped off the wagon last night due to my brother ringing up and having a go at me then telling me my mother had been rushed into hospital. It was a mixture of blazing fury and incredible worry and my wife, the one who has been urging (but not nagging) me to quit even offered to run down to the garage and get me some. But I held firm.

Things haven't been too bad today - only really craved one twice (first time was about 6pm while visiting mum in the hospital (thankfully she's fine now) and the second was around 7.30 after dinner). I've held firm again.

The patches have got to be helping as I'm not getting as many cravings as I thought I would. The next real test is going to come on Saturday. I'm not at work so I'll have less to occupy my mind and this will be the fourth full day that I've not smoked. Apparently, it takes about three days for the nicotine to leave your body and that's when the real cravings begin for a few days.

At the moment, though, I'm holding firm and feeling quite pleased with myself. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 13 2005, 06:09 PM)
I nearly slipped off the wagon last night due to my brother ringing up and having a go at me then telling me my mother had been rushed into hospital. It was a mixture of blazing fury and incredible worry and my wife, the one who has been urging (but not nagging) me to quit even offered to run down to the garage and get me some. But I held firm.

Things haven't been too bad today - only really craved one twice (first time was about 6pm while visiting mum in the hospital (thankfully she's fine now) and the second was around 7.30 after dinner). I've held firm again.

The patches have got to be helping as I'm not getting as many cravings as I thought I would. The next real test is going to come on Saturday. I'm not at work so I'll have less to occupy my mind and this will be the fourth full day that I've not smoked. Apparently, it takes about three days for the nicotine to leave your body and that's when the real cravings begin for a few days.

At the moment, though, I'm holding firm and feeling quite pleased with myself. biggrin.gif

holy Crow! if u didnt slip on all that crappyness, u wont have any problems.

hope All is well for MOM

Stay strong wink.gif

QUOTE (xanadu66 @ Jan 12 2005, 09:39 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 12 2005, 02:56 PM)
Well, its been my first full day and I don't think I've done too bad.  The NRT patches have helped keep the cravings to a minimum and, in some cases, totally eradicated them.

Music is ALWAYS the best medicine for ANYTHING...I hope you were playing 2.gif tunes!!

I must agree! 2.gif

If you got though that - you're doing well.

There's a bloke Alan Carr that is by a long way the biggest selling anti-smoking author. Apparently if you can get past the psycho babble it's pretty good - maybe it's worth a look at if you see in in the bookshop.

Remember what they say - giving up smoking is easy, I've done it loads of times...

Good luck man, I quit cigs 11 years ago... now just smoke 1 mild cigar to every beer!

After a good night out I've got a mouth like an ashtray and lungs like a hoover bag

Hope your Mum's OK

Well iots been a pretty good day today, I had no real carvings until about 6pm (after dinner) which eased off pretty quickly. I still want a cigarette, quite often, but there's a world of difference between wanting one and craving one.

I'm starting to see other benefits now. Not only have my sore throats gone and my sense of smell improved, but I've that, although I get out of breath just as quickly, it takes me less time time to regain it.

I thought of a downside this morning though - when my taste buds finally come out of their nicotine induced coma, I'll be able to taste how truely foul the coffee is at work.

Weekend coming up now - real test. No wrok to keep me busy so it could be a bit of a grind.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jan 14 2005, 08:43 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jan 14 2005, 08:40 PM)
Just been through the worst part of the process up to date.  Suddenly attacked by a real craving that nearly drove me mad.

Thanks to T4VS on the chat for keeping me sane. applaudit.gif

No problem Slaine...anything for a good friend trink39.gif

That's my man wub.gif biggrin.gif

Archived