Question about Star Wars

lerxt1990

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 26 2007, 02:18 AM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Nov 25 2007, 08:42 PM)
Actually, I can see where you're coming from, Lerxst.

I may be wrong, BUT, i'm sure i read somewhere that Grievous was a prototype for Vader; Palpatine seeing if it would work.

Im sure (but scared) that someone knows all the facts regarding this.. smile.gif

I'll have a look for it.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Nov 25 2007, 09:42 PM)
Actually, I can see where you're coming from, Lerxst.

I may be wrong, BUT, i'm sure i read somewhere that Grievous was a prototype for Vader; Palpatine seeing if it would work.

I haven't heard this but it is an interesting theory.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Nov 24 2007, 07:44 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Nov 25 2007, 05:12 AM)
Lucas dropped the ball with the prequels.  I find so many things wrong with those films.

yes.gif

I also wanted to get Jar Jar Binks & little Anakin in a double headlock...read as: 2 of the most annoying characters in sci-fi history (IMHO, thanks Finbar smile.gif )

The most annoying thing by far about the kid who played Annikan was that HE COULDN'T ACT. That has to be the most unforgivable thing in a movie, someone that clearly cannot act well at all. Also, the woman who played his mother couldn't act either. Jar Jar was just plain annoying.

I enjoyed the Star Wars prequels even though the original trilogy was much better. The first prequel though, Episode 1, I find virtually unwatchable. Mind you, I'll probably watch it 5 or 6 more times in my life, but I'll probably watch Episode 2 and 3 like 10-15 more times. tongue.gif

I was talking with my family at Thanksgiving about how the Matrix sequels sucked, and the hilarious thing was that we'd all seen the Matrix sequels several times and realized we would likely see them again several times... even though they sucked...

hmmmm... unsure.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 28 2007, 07:34 AM)
Lucas dropped the ball with the prequels.  I find so many things wrong with those films.

yes.gif

I also wanted to get Jar Jar Binks & little Anakin in a double headlock...read as: 2 of the most annoying characters in sci-fi history (IMHO, thanks Finbar smile.gif )

The most annoying thing by far about the kid who played Annikan was that HE COULDN'T ACT. That has to be the most unforgivable thing in a movie, someone that clearly cannot act well at all. Also, the woman who played his mother couldn't act either. Jar Jar was just plain annoying.

I enjoyed the Star Wars prequels even though the original trilogy was much better. The first prequel though, Episode 1, I find virtually unwatchable. Mind you, I'll probably watch it 5 or 6 more times in my life, but I'll probably watch Episode 2 and 3 like 10-15 more times. tongue.gif

I was talking with my family at Thanksgiving about how the Matrix sequels sucked, and the hilarious thing was that we'd all seen the Matrix sequels several times and realized we would likely see them again several times... even though they sucked...

hmmmm... unsure.gif

The Merovingian's 'cause and effect' speech makes me want to stab myself in the eye with a fork, as does the Architect's conversation with Neo. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 28 2007, 06:34 AM)

yes.gif

Some SW fans took to calling Jake Lloyd "Mannequin Skywalker" because of his poor acting. laugh.gif

And I agree Pernilla August couldn't act either.

I enjoyed the Star Wars prequels even though the original trilogy was much better.  The first prequel though, Episode 1, I find virtually unwatchable.  Mind you, I'll probably watch it 5 or 6 more times in my life, but I'll probably watch Episode 2 and 3 like 10-15 more times. tongue.gif

Episode One gets a bad rap, but I thought it was fairly good. The duel betwwen the two Jedi and Darth Maul was awesome! And I liked seeing a young and heroic Obi-Wan; in episodes 4-6, Obi-Wan was just a boring old fart, but in Episode One he rocked!

I've heard this criticism before, but for some reason I'm thinking about it tonight for really the very first time...

The Biggest Plot Hole From "A New Hope"

There is no Earthly reason why Han and Luke would take Leia directly to the rebel base after rescuing her from the Death Star. Think about it. The Empire have placed a tracking device onboard the Millenium Falcon, and Leia knows it. ("They're tracking us!") Piloting the Falcon directly to the rebel base on the fourth moon of Yavin is like screaming to the Empire, "Hey, we're over here! Come destroy all of us, the entire Rebellion, with your planet-destroying machine!"

Our heroes' senseless act causes a time-sensitive race to destroy the Death Star quickly, before the Death Star destroys the moon with the rebels on it. Dramatic finish to the film, yes, but completely unnecessary. The Falcon could've rendevoused with another rebel craft on a neutral planet and had that ship take Leia, Luke, Artoo, and Threepio back to the rebels... then Solo could fly away and do whatever the hell he wanted, which is what he planned to do anyway! The Empire could then perhaps spend the rest of eternity tracking the movements of the Millenium Falcon (until such time as Solo finds and removes the tracking device from his beloved ship), but at least Leia and the rebels would be in no immediate or foreseeable danger. More to the point, the rebels could then take their own sweet time devising an attack strategy on the Death Star and implementing it; there's no hurry, because the Empire still wouldn't know which planet or moon was home to the rebel base!

Tell me, fellow geeksters, why would our heroes fly directly to the rebel base in the Falcon?? It's unnecessary, it puts the entire Rebellion in danger, and forces the rebels to act very quickly to destroy the Death Star before they are destroyed by it. All of the rebels' trouble could've been avoided... if Solo only took Leia someplace other than directly back to the rebels.

The rebels are in a good position at the start of the film. They possess the technical read-outs to the Empire's battle station - the "secret plans" to the Death Star - and the Empire is clueless about where the rebels are hiding. The Empire, in fact, spends the bulk of the movie trying to get Leia to spill it. ("Where is the rebel base?") Flying directly to the base after being rescued, Leia is knowingly giving the Empire the answer to the question they've wanted to know throughout the entire film. If she didn't travel directly back to the rebels in the Millenium Falcon after her rescue, the Rebellion would be back in its enviable position from the start of the film: knowing the Death Star's structural weakness(es) while also being safely stationed at a location the Empire is unaware of.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Nov 25 2007, 09:09 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 24 2007, 08:09 PM)
So, they bring in his burned carcass and have this getup all ready for him.  So was this all ready for the next f-cked up burned Sith that would come through the door?  Did they put together a series of off-the-shelf components?  I find this troubling...

It's the Empire, money is no object to them, so that's no problem.

Secondly, we're not told how long this whole time frame was. Palpatine could have easily forseen how Vader would look, what he would need, and tell designers before he'd even reached Mustafar. Also, we don't know how long he was on the 'operating' table for. I'd imagine fairly long, so a suit could have been made.

Remember, Palpatine was n incredibly strong sith, who had the gift of forsight, so he may have seen what would happen.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jan 1 2010, 06:52 AM)
I've heard this criticism before, but for some reason I'm thinking about it tonight for really the very first time...

The Biggest Plot Hole From "A New Hope"

There is no Earthly reason why Han and Luke would take Leia directly to the rebel base after rescuing her from the Death Star. Think about it. The Empire have placed a tracking device onboard the Millenium Falcon, and Leia knows it. ("They're tracking us!") Piloting the Falcon directly to the rebel base on the fourth moon of Yavin is like screaming to the Empire, "Hey, we're over here! Come destroy all of us, the entire Rebellion, with your planet-destroying machine!"

Our heroes' senseless act causes a time-sensitive race to destroy the Death Star quickly, before the Death Star destroys the moon with the rebels on it. Dramatic finish to the film, yes, but completely unnecessary. The Falcon could've rendevoused with another rebel craft on a neutral planet and had that ship take Leia, Luke, Artoo, and Threepio back to the rebels... then Solo could fly away and do whatever the hell he wanted, which is what he planned to do anyway! The Empire could then perhaps spend the rest of eternity tracking the movements of the Millenium Falcon (until such time as Solo finds and removes the tracking device from his beloved ship), but at least Leia and the rebels would be in no immediate or foreseeable danger. More to the point, the rebels could then take their own sweet time devising an attack strategy on the Death Star and implementing it; there's no hurry, because the Empire still wouldn't know which planet or moon was home to the rebel base!

Tell me, fellow geeksters, why would our heroes fly directly to the rebel base in the Falcon?? It's unnecessary, it puts the entire Rebellion in danger, and forces the rebels to act very quickly to destroy the Death Star before they are destroyed by it. All of the rebels' trouble could've been avoided... if Solo only took Leia someplace other than directly back to the rebels.

The rebels are in a good position at the start of the film. They possess the technical read-outs to the Empire's battle station - the "secret plans" to the Death Star - and the Empire is clueless about where the rebels are hiding. The Empire, in fact, spends the bulk of the movie trying to get Leia to spill it. ("Where is the rebel base?") Flying directly to the base after being rescued, Leia is knowingly giving the Empire the answer to the question they've wanted to know throughout the entire film. If she didn't travel directly back to the rebels in the Millenium Falcon after her rescue, the Rebellion would be back in its enviable position from the start of the film: knowing the Death Star's structural weakness(es) while also being safely stationed at a location the Empire is unaware of.

my thoughts are that, in star wars, the force speaks to people at various times to unfold a series of events the force wants to happen. it was apparently the will of the force for luke to "redeem" his father and for vader to destroy the emperor. i have to assume that all previous events were willed by the force to reach this end. remember, the only reason for the rebellion was to destroy the empire. since this actually happened all of the events make sense in that universe. in our world they were a bunch of raging lunatics.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 24 2007, 03:09 PM)
So, they bring in his burned carcass and have this getup all ready for him.  So was this all ready for the next f-cked up burned Sith that would come through the door?  Did they put together a series of off-the-shelf components?  I find this troubling...

I think you're over thinking it. It was some ventilator system is all. Might've been some standard issue thing. Who knows? Who cares? The mere fact that he was wearing it meant it came from somewhere...so why quibble about WHERE all of a sudden? You had to know it came from somewhere. Did we have to see orcs and the dark lord Saurumon pounding it out of iron to be convinced of its origin??

People just look for reasons to continually shit on the prequels. No one asked these question in the original series. He wore this, that guy wore that....and no one asked "where did it come from?? Why is it there??? Couldn't they just....?"

How about asking why lazy Lucas felt compelled to COMPLETELY recycle the Death Star motif in Return Of The Jedi?? THAT is the film (of the six) that -- for many reasons -- dropped the ball, sir.

Edited by Presto-digitation

Wow. ohmy.gif

I thought the only answer to ALL questions about Star Wars was...

"BECAUSE IT SUCKS... GET A f***ing LIFE ALREADY".

But obviously some of you actually dwell on it, which is even WORSE than seeing it more than once.

And then Presto actually tells someone else that THEY are "over-thinking" it. Precious. Over-thinking it began for me when I actually clicked on this thread to read how much you geeks really think these movies are any good. Constant amusement for me though. z7shysterical.gif

Then... KING geek actually thinks that the little boy who played Assikin couldn't act??? Compared to who? The clown in the sasquatch suit? Really? I mean... cuz the best acting was a voice over by James Earl Jones. The rest of the idiots in these movies were NEVER considered thespians by any means.

Have fun with your umpteenth time watching this HORRIBLE series of movies. moon.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Nov 28 2007, 07:30 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 28 2007, 06:34 AM)

yes.gif

Some SW fans took to calling Jake Lloyd "Mannequin Skywalker" because of his poor acting. laugh.gif

And I agree Pernilla August couldn't act either.

I enjoyed the Star Wars prequels even though the original trilogy was much better.  The first prequel though, Episode 1, I find virtually unwatchable.  Mind you, I'll probably watch it 5 or 6 more times in my life, but I'll probably watch Episode 2 and 3 like 10-15 more times. tongue.gif

Episode One gets a bad rap, but I thought it was fairly good. The duel betwwen the two Jedi and Darth Maul was awesome! And I liked seeing a young and heroic Obi-Wan; in episodes 4-6, Obi-Wan was just a boring old fart, but in Episode One he rocked!

As odd as it is to quote a post over 2 years old ( unsure.gif ):

It was more than just the bad acting in Episode 1. I think the pod race was pretty stupid. Yeah, it was kinda cool in terms of special effects, but it had already been done in Return of the Jedi in a sense. In Episode 1 it seemed more like an excuse for a video game spinoff than really relevant to the movie, and the characters were kind of stupid.

Besides that, Episode 1 just seemed a bit overly-complicated plot wise - too many characters and just too much going on - a lot of elements are introduced without us really being given a reason to care about the results.

Also, I really wasn't impressed by the battle with Obi Wan and Darth Maul like most people were. Yeah, the double light saber thing was cool, but it's probably mostly because there was just no character development at ALL with Darth Maul. Does he even say one word in the entire movie? He just seems like this random evil person that is supposed to be menacing, but we're never given any real reason to be afraid of him or hate him. Darth Vader in the first movie was really built up as being evil.

And then the dialogue is REALLY clunky in places, which is the same throughout all the prequels. I mean, Lucas will never be considered a master of dialogue, but at least in the original trilogy it was nowhere near as bad (except for hilarious lines like "Aw, but I was going to Toshe station to pick up some power converters!"). Some lines in the prequels are just embarrassingly bad.

Even still, they're all enjoyable movies (like the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies), even if the prequels don't approach the heights of the original series. The first prequel I still think is by far the weakest, mostly due to bad acting and Jar Jar. I haven't watched that one in years, but I have watched Episode 2 and 3 a few times.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 1 2010, 03:43 PM)
Wow. ohmy.gif

I thought the only answer to ALL questions about Star Wars was...

"BECAUSE IT SUCKS... GET A f***ing LIFE ALREADY".

But obviously some of you actually dwell on it, which is even WORSE than seeing it more than once.

And then Presto actually tells someone else that THEY are "over-thinking" it. Precious. Over-thinking it began for me when I actually clicked on this thread to read how much you geeks really think these movies are any good. Constant amusement for me though. z7shysterical.gif

Then... KING geek actually thinks that the little boy who played Assikin couldn't act??? Compared to who? The clown in the sasquatch suit? Really? I mean... cuz the best acting was a voice over by James Earl Jones. The rest of the idiots in these movies were NEVER considered thespians by any means.

Have fun with your umpteenth time watching this HORRIBLE series of movies. moon.gif

Happy New Year!

QUOTE (edie @ Nov 24 2007, 06:34 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Nov 24 2007, 09:59 PM)
The medical driods fabricated this wearable life support for him.  They spared no expense.  This doesn't trouble me as much as the clones being able to kill so many Jedi.

And how did the Stormtroopers go to the bathroom? As soon as I realized they were supposed to be humans in weird white armour, rather than robots, this became a grave concern to me.

Maybe Stormtrooper's used modified Fremen suits from Dune:

http://snowhugger.net/images/fremen.jpg

The suit recycles everything to produce drinkable water....and apparently makes guys stand around like they're in a friggin' Sears ad.

trink38.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jan 1 2010, 02:30 PM)
The medical driods fabricated this wearable life support for him.  They spared no expense.  This doesn't trouble me as much as the clones being able to kill so many Jedi.

And how did the Stormtroopers go to the bathroom? As soon as I realized they were supposed to be humans in weird white armour, rather than robots, this became a grave concern to me.

The suit recycles everything to produce drinkable water....and apparently makes guys stand around like they're in a friggin' Sears ad.

trink38.gif

maybe some of the parts below in the nether regions are easily removable? unsure.gif

And then Presto actually tells someone else that THEY are "over-thinking" it. Precious. Over-thinking it began for me when I actually clicked on this thread to read how much you geeks really think these movies are any good. Constant amusement for me though.

Hate to double post, but how can you honestly come on an internet forum dedicated to a band notorious for their songs about flying spaceships into black holes, and call other people nerds for liking Star Wars. A bit hypocritical, don't you think? trink36.gif

QUOTE (Working Man @ Jan 1 2010, 10:27 PM)
And then Presto actually tells someone else that THEY are "over-thinking" it. Precious. Over-thinking it began for me when I actually clicked on this thread to read how much you geeks really think these movies are any good. Constant amusement for me though.

Hate to double post, but how can you honestly come on an internet forum dedicated to a band notorious for their songs about flying spaceships into black holes, and call other people nerds for liking Star Wars. A bit hypocritical, don't you think? trink36.gif

z7shysterical.gif

Yeah, that's what it is. I guess if I like 2.gif I HAVE to like Star Wars huh? z7shysterical.gif

Stop... you're killing me.

QUOTE (Working Man @ Jan 1 2010, 10:17 PM)
The rest of the idiots in these movies were NEVER considered thespians by any means.

Ever hear of Harrison Ford? confused13.gif

Yeah, he's an actor famous for his award winning dialouge with a WOOKIE. Great actor he is.

Sorry... not impressed.

QUOTE (Working Man @ Jan 1 2010, 09:27 PM)

Yes. The only idiot here is him. Because, ya know, I often go into topics about subjects that hold no interest to me and berate people who are. Seems like a complete waste of energy and pretty juvenile. Far more so than someone who likes a generally beloved and historic movie series. But we all can't be fans of G.I. Joe.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jan 2 2010, 03:44 AM)
QUOTE (Working Man @ Jan 1 2010, 10:17 PM)
The rest of the idiots in these movies were NEVER considered thespians by any means.

Ever hear of Harrison Ford? confused13.gif

Yeah, he's an actor famous for his award winning dialouge with a WOOKIE. Great actor he is.

Sorry... not impressed.

Ah, did you mean considered thespians within Star Wars? Because Sir Alec's acting talent elsewhere shouldn't be called into question.

You might be right about the others, though.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 2 2010, 12:33 AM)
QUOTE (Working Man @ Jan 1 2010, 09:27 PM)

Yes. The only idiot here is him. Because, ya know, I often go into topics about subjects that hold no interest to me and berate people who are. Seems like a complete waste of energy and pretty juvenile. Far more so than someone who likes a generally beloved and historic movie series. But we all can't be fans of G.I. Joe.

Awwwwww. Is that what I'm doing? Weeawy???

Historic? z7shysterical.gif Historic for spawning an entire era of grown men who act like juvenile idiots maybe. But otherwise... not so much. People unlike yourselves... and there's a lot... couldn't give the "historic series" the time of day. I just find it to be... say a higher calling... that draws me to enter these circles of idiocy and point out to you how lame you all are.

As for GI JOE. Didn't see it, but I would bet money it's better than Star Wars.

Don't you have a thirty year old KISS album to review? Move along. moon.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 1 2010, 09:32 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jan 1 2010, 02:30 PM)

trink38.gif

maybe some of the parts below in the nether regions are easily removable? unsure.gif

I like the the recycling idea.

Would've been easy though, apparently there is no underwear in the SW universe.