Rock Band!

neil#2

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Nov 28 2007, 04:41 PM)
I tried Tom Sawyer on Bass at Best Buy. It kept saying I was missing notes when I was right on and it would drop off a sustained note halfway through even though I was still pressing the button and had the picker-thing down. I don't think I like this game very well...

Apparently most display models that the stores got were version 1.0 models that are prone to getting wrecked. I've heard from other people that any place you see it on display - 99 percent odds most or all the instruments will be screwed up or broken.

I've been playing my guitar often and hard and it works wonderfully. Lots of people would tell you to look on the bottom on the box for a manufacturing date close to the end of October for the newer and more robust guitars - but this may just be conjecture.

EveryNerveAware - I RETURNED my Guitar Hero 3 bundle today. The guitar was defective out of the box, and I got fed up waiting a MONTH without new stock arriving yet to replace it. That and... I think Rock Band will push Guitar hero to the brink of extinction - at least for multiplayer.

Disappointed with Guitar Hero but.... got Assassin's Creed now instead!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assassins Creed for your PS3?

Feel sorry for you then when you get your white screen of death tongue.gif.. Apparently new firmware breaks it and causes it to hang and stuff.. It's all over the Ubi forums though they're apparently working on a patch for it.. lol.. So kinda from one defect to another smile.gif.

I've got it on my 360.. It isn't bad, but kinda repetitive... It's enjoyable though and certainly not as bad as I thought the hype machine might make it.

QUOTE (nimagraven @ Nov 30 2007, 04:30 PM)
Assassins Creed for your PS3?

Feel sorry for you then when you get your white screen of death tongue.gif.. Apparently new firmware breaks it and causes it to hang and stuff.. It's all over the Ubi forums though they're apparently working on a patch for it.. lol.. So kinda from one defect to another smile.gif.

I've got it on my 360.. It isn't bad, but kinda repetitive... It's enjoyable though and certainly not as bad as I thought the hype machine might make it.

I hope they have it fixed by the time I get around to it.

I been busy so have a stack of games to start and to finish.

Just finished JERICHO (360) this weekend and God of War the weekend before.

Now I got a couple I either tried VERY briefly or haven't even opened yet that I need to work on. Not sure the exact order I will tackle these in but I have:

Bioshock

God of War 2

Final Fantasy XII

Jade Empire

Assassin's Creed

The irresistible siren song of Rock Band sure ain't making it any easier!

QUOTE (J0N @ Dec 3 2007, 02:53 PM)
^
All those games are awesome, well haven't played Jade Empire, but the others :$

Nice! The only one I tried a bit of is BioShock so I'm glad to hear they are all great as I'd expect.

Man I am so lamenting the fact that today could easily have been a snow day for us up here and I could have played video games all day. It sucks when the boss knows you drive a wicked Jeep 4x4 and only live a few blocks away. It'd have to be a HELLUVA storm for me to use weather as an excuse.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Nov 29 2007, 03:03 PM)
QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Nov 28 2007, 04:41 PM)
I tried Tom Sawyer on Bass at Best Buy. It kept saying I was missing notes when I was right on and it would drop off a sustained note halfway through even though I was still pressing the button and had the picker-thing down. I don't think I like this game very well...

Apparently most display models that the stores got were version 1.0 models that are prone to getting wrecked. I've heard from other people that any place you see it on display - 99 percent odds most or all the instruments will be screwed up or broken.

I've been playing my guitar often and hard and it works wonderfully. Lots of people would tell you to look on the bottom on the box for a manufacturing date close to the end of October for the newer and more robust guitars - but this may just be conjecture.

EveryNerveAware - I RETURNED my Guitar Hero 3 bundle today. The guitar was defective out of the box, and I got fed up waiting a MONTH without new stock arriving yet to replace it. That and... I think Rock Band will push Guitar hero to the brink of extinction - at least for multiplayer.

Disappointed with Guitar Hero but.... got Assassin's Creed now instead!

Thanks for the info. I'll check my box to see what I got.

Difficult to wait 3 more weeks to open the Rock Band box..... sad.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Dec 3 2007, 02:47 PM)
Bioshock
God of War 2
Final Fantasy XII
Jade Empire
Assassin's Creed

Played all of those games except for God of War 2.

Jade Empire - Well, I've finished Mass Effect, and personally I think ME was lacking in comparison to this or SWKoTOR. Jade Empire was lacking in places, but I think it was a better effort by Bioware overall. Some of the dialogue in ME felt a bit rushed in comparison to this.. But Jade Empire didn't have much of a "cleaned" feel to it, either. I thought the twist was more satisfying in this game though.. I'll have to go deeper into my thoughts about Mass Effect in a separate thread at some point when I get the time.

Final Fantasy XII - Probably the weakest in the FF series. But I'm not a fan on the whole..

Bioshock - Well, I enjoyed it.. It's a good game, but still not my favourite.. I'd definitely give it a shot.

Assassin's Creed - We've been through this smile.gif.

QUOTE (nimagraven @ Dec 5 2007, 04:12 AM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Dec 3 2007, 02:47 PM)
Bioshock
God of War 2
Final Fantasy XII
Jade Empire
Assassin's Creed

Played all of those games except for God of War 2.

Jade Empire - Well, I've finished Mass Effect, and personally I think ME was lacking in comparison to this or SWKoTOR. Jade Empire was lacking in places, but I think it was a better effort by Bioware overall. Some of the dialogue in ME felt a bit rushed in comparison to this.. But Jade Empire didn't have much of a "cleaned" feel to it, either. I thought the twist was more satisfying in this game though.. I'll have to go deeper into my thoughts about Mass Effect in a separate thread at some point when I get the time.

Final Fantasy XII - Probably the weakest in the FF series. But I'm not a fan on the whole..

Bioshock - Well, I enjoyed it.. It's a good game, but still not my favourite.. I'd definitely give it a shot.

Assassin's Creed - We've been through this smile.gif.

Great mini-reviews!

I actually decided more randomly than anything else to give Bioshock a shot first. No idea how far I am into it - but so far quite cool! very atmospheric game and so far the storyline and the universe they created seems very creepy and cool. Gotta love the Utopian Society gone into Madness theme!

I found this thread and thought I'd share my experience. My family has been playing Rock Band almost every night since it came out. So, um, yeah, we like it.

As a veteran of Guitar Hero, here are my thoughts..

Hardware

Guitar

The guitar that comes with RB is decent, but not viable for an advanced player. They tried to make some drastic improvements, which I applaud them for, but they screwed up.

The new strum bar simply doesn't let you play fast sections and/or double strum well. But the worst part of the new guitar are the buttons. While relatively close together (good), they made plastic dividers between the buttons too high, so that when you're trying to slide from one chord to another, your fingers hit a virtual wall they have to climb over before getting to the other buttons. I can't tell you how many times this has screwed me up in a song, where I would normally play a section 100%.

Yes, I'm aware that real guitars have frets, but it's not a fair comparison (a better comparison would be imagining if your guitar had no strings and trying to smoothly slide your fingers across the board for hours at a time), and it's pretty obvious the manufacturers/designers simply dropped the ball on this one. Harmonix seems pretty committed to the game so I can only hope that the next one is better.

Drums

The drums are good. Not great, but good. Again, some of the initial manufacturing runs had problems. There are some sites that help you tell if your drums were part of that "first run". Other than that, I've had no problems. My brother, a lifelong drummer, pounded them pretty good and they held up fine. Jury's still out on how they'll do long term.

Microphone

The first couple days the mic sat in the corner, gathering dust. I thought it would be that way for some time as we don't have any "singers" around. But on a whim we tried it out and I'm glad we did. The game mechanics work extremely well and now the mic gets used alot.

Xbox360 vs PS3

The best setup for this game is Xbox360 (imho). I have nothing against PS3, it's just the state of things right now. One major reason is that all previous Xbox guitar controllers are compatible with Rock Band.

That said, the best controller for this game is the Les Paul that comes with GH3. Some Les Pauls have issues but I think that was just the initial run and they've worked out the kinks now. The Xplorer works well too.

The second reason Xbox360 works well with RB is downloads. Xbox has it's act together and downloading new songs is a breeze. I've heard PS3 has a bit of catching up to do here, but hopefully it will. No comments re PS2 or Wii versions, though PS2 will suffer due to no downloading which is going to be a big strength for the game down the road.

My guitar setup: Les Paul (GH3), Xplorer (GH2)

Gameplay

As to the actual game, I think Harmonix did a great job. Better than Neversoft and GH3, and I liked that game. The way you can customize your characters is incredible and every last detail shows up on stage while you're playing. This is the first game in the series where you really identify with your character (in kind of a role-playing way).

It took awhile for me to get used to the new note look, but now I've acclimated just fine. The new solo sections are a great idea and are cool to play.

Competition is good. Harmonix set out to improve Guitar Hero in every way and they nailed it time and time again. Bass Groove so the bassist doesn't get too bored if his part is simple. The way they implemented Overdrive. Very cool is how you can save each other from getting booed off stage using overdrive. You really feel like you're pulling for each other, and when you see someone struggling, there's beads of sweat coming off your forehead to hit the next overdrive passage so you can say to yourself, "I've got your back, bro".

The World Tour mode is really good, well thought out, and, um LONG!. With as much as we've been playing there's still a ton of stuff for us to do. The venues are awesome and there are 41 (!!) of them, compared to 5 or 6 in previous versions.

The other night our household hit Rock Band gaming nirvana. Our daughter, 6, wanted to try out vocals. We thought if we put her on Easy she might be ok (she did fine - Easy is very forgiving). My 10 yr old son played Medium drums. And my wife and I switched off on Hard guitar and bass. Our whole family was playing a computer game, working together, and it was great! I can't think of another video game on the planet where we could do that (with my kid's ages).

Speaking of that, I'll end with the fact that the game is fairly kid-friendly, but not completely so. When my son was on the mic, I noticed on Stone's Gimme Shelter he was singing a line about rape and murder. And on another song he asked me what a "whore" was ("Um, a woman who dates lots of guys"). But I have no problem with him playing the game (maybe that makes me a bad parent, I don't know).

My few cents,

Schro

Hey Schro -

Good comments and I agree with you 100 percent about the guitar.

Have you had any hardware problems yet? Actually just last night my GUITAR down strum died. sad.gif That leaves me with nothing but the microphone and can't get any replacements until it's released in Canada.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Dec 11 2007, 08:48 AM)

Have you had any hardware problems yet?

No, not really. So far everything's been holding up.

Only small problem I had was on the GH3 Les Paul guitar, the some buttons would get slightly stuck (wouldn't pop back lightning quick like you need them too). A little WD40 solved that.

I picked it up Saturday morning. Only issue I ran into was the microphone wasn't with the package. So one call to EA tech support later and a microphone is en route.

I was surprised the guitar and bass songs were so easy on 'easy' mode. I still have some challenge with the 'easy' mode on all the GH games.

Disappointed that there seems to be no other guitar controllers that will work with RB, despite its claim of open controller standard. EA support has even dismissed the GH3 controllers from working with RB. I even tried my GH2 SG into a PS2 dongle connected to the PS3 and it didn't work either. The game tried to interpret the controller as a standard controller with no microphone attached. So I guess we have to wait patiently for individual sale guitar controllers.

It's a shame there's no bass solo career. I did find one feature of bass quick play to be interesting: as you advance the multiplier by hitting the notes perfectly, eventually you can enter a 'bass groove' worth 6x. So if you go into overdrive, the multiplier will go all the way to 12x.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Dec 12 2007, 04:01 AM)
I picked it up Saturday morning. Only issue I ran into was the microphone wasn't with the package. So one call to EA tech support later and a microphone is en route.

I was surprised the guitar and bass songs were so easy on 'easy' mode. I still have some challenge with the 'easy' mode on all the GH games.

Disappointed that there seems to be no other guitar controllers that will work with RB, despite its claim of open controller standard. EA support has even dismissed the GH3 controllers from working with RB. I even tried my GH2 SG into a PS2 dongle connected to the PS3 and it didn't work either. The game tried to interpret the controller as a standard controller with no microphone attached. So I guess we have to wait patiently for individual sale guitar controllers.

It's a shame there's no bass solo career. I did find one feature of bass quick play to be interesting: as you advance the multiplier by hitting the notes perfectly, eventually you can enter a 'bass groove' worth 6x. So if you go into overdrive, the multiplier will go all the way to 12x.

Yeah so far PS3 users have got the shaft - however Harmonix is apparently on the cusp of releasing a guitar compatibility patch for us.

Godeater! That's a shame that happened.. But seems to be happening all around. I read on Kotaku that Canada may not see Rock Band till 2008 .. So you may be waiting a while before sending it back sad.gif.

And by the way, you might THINK Harmonix are releasing a compatability patch.. But they ain't.

Here's the proof:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/playstation-3/act...port-333236.php

http://community.rockband.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=15440

Sorry... sad.gif

QUOTE (nimagraven @ Dec 13 2007, 05:50 AM)
Godeater! That's a shame that happened.. But seems to be happening all around. I read on Kotaku that Canada may not see Rock Band till 2008 .. So you may be waiting a while before sending it back sad.gif.

And by the way, you might THINK Harmonix are releasing a compatability patch.. But they ain't.

Here's the proof:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/playstation-3/act...port-333236.php

http://community.rockband.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=15440

Sorry... sad.gif

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

I cannot believe it...

Screw Activision. I had GH3 on PS3 but returned it due to malfunctioning guitar. Now I'll email them and tell them they cram it. I own GH1, GH2 GH80s... Rockband... I have so many guitar controllers at my place I have to buy a second guitar rack but screw them. Unless they flip their decision with some REAL sugar coated PR I am kissing the GH franchise goodbye.

Bye bye Guitar Hero!

bekloppt.gif

And I hope the rumors about further delay are wrong but i wont be surprised. I talked to a support rep last month about the first delay and they sort of let it slip that even the Dec 20th date they put forth as the "new' release date was only hopeful... because the real issue is between them and the Canadian government getting Rock Band approved for release here...

*fingers crossed*

I need something to play dammit!

I agree Godeater. I don't think I'll be buying any more Guitar Hero releases after this fiasco. The community is rightfully outraged as well (44 page thread on the rock band forum). Activision/Harmonix just screwed themselves.

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Dec 13 2007, 02:10 PM)
I know this thread is supposed to be about Rock Band, but sweet Jesus... watch this video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-9ao_vOsZkg

I can't decide if I should want to be that guy, or be glad I'm not.

Hahaha!

I see that and the first thing I think is:

"Holy shit! That's amazing!"

Then the second thing I think is:

"I wish I was back in University again where all we ever did was play video games all day - I'd probably be able to beat that too!"

laugh.gif

*grumble*

I got the microphone today and hooked it up. Decided to go through the tutorial, to which I was being told by the game that I needed more practice. That kind of hurt the ego. But when I got to the part about doing percussive elements, I found it odd I was failing it too. Then it dawned on me the mic may not be working. So I tried going back into the PS3 menu to accessory settings, checked audio device settings, made sure the mic was selected as the device and the level was all the way up. "check check" Nothing on the meter. So I tried my bluetooth headset, and it worked.

Conclusion was the mic was DOA. Called EA support again, jumped through their hoops to determine the mic was dead (don't blame them; I've worked tech support before and know all about troubleshooting steps before authorizing RMAs), and got arrangements to have another mic sent. Nice thing is they didn't want the old mic back, so maybe I'll open it up and see where the problem may be.

So still no mic.

I was at a party and played drums for Tom Sawyer. Other 2 folks wiped out for guitar and vocals. The one guy then said, "Oh, I hate Rush." Rrrrr, I gave him a death stare smile.gif

One girl, upon hearing "Wont get fooled again", said, "Oh I know that song, thats the theme to CSI". I dint know whether to cry or just feel old.

Archived