Admins question, no weighted average polling?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 yetanothersteve

yetanothersteve

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:34 PM

I looked at "Create Poll" and the options seemed to be limited to picking one item of many.

To get a better idea of how people rank the recordings, for example, a way to order multiple choices and then submit the ordered list would be nice.

For all 18 original recordings, in a weighted average poll, placing a recording at #1 by the voter would give it a weight of 18, the recording placed at #2 a weight of 17, all the way down to the least favorite at position #18 receiving a weight of 1. (Note that the weights could be scaled or fractionally incremental in a more complex scenario, but I chose linear for simplicity.)

So, Person A ranks the following
1. Hemispheres
2. 2112
14. Vapor Trails
18. Rush

Person B
2. 2112
4. Hemispheres
10. Rush
14. Vapor Trails

2112 = 17 + 17 = 34
Hemispheres = 18 + 15 = 33
Vapor Trails = 5 + 5 = 10
Rush = 1 + 9  = 10

This would give a better indication of sentiment towards particular recordings instead of simply tallying  the absolute number of votes for a favorite. Although 2112 was not #1 for either user in the above example, it tended higher overall.

I imagine more complex polling is a feature of the board software and out of the control of the admins of this board. If such a feature is available and I missed it, feel free to doh.gif me.  

Sponsored Post

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users