#683 RUDT

RUDT

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 690 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 23 September 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

The Dark Passenger Rises

I just hope the dark passenger could fin some peace in his future life, because he wasn't looking good in the last scene. How anyone could live all his life killing and live a normal life...

#684 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

Hey, I thought I had to earn this

• Members *
  • 3535 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

If any episode of Dexter was likely to inspire real life murder, it was the finale.

#685 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

The Elitist Booby Type

• Members
  • 7433 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

View PostFinding IT, on 23 September 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

Writing was mediocre but there were some incredibly powerful images. I think a lot of them went over the heads of many viewers.
The only thing over viewer's heads was just what the hell was going on this season. Or how someone survives swimming in a hurricane. Powerful images can easily be manufactured but a coherent storyline, interesting plot lines any realistic actions are much more satisfying. Oh, and ending up a lumberjack. Never satisfying unless you sell paper towels.

#686 Finding IT

Finding IT

Kung Fu Fighting

• Members *
  • 8486 posts
  • Interests:Family and Friends, Education, Literature, Teaching Martial Arts, Baltimore Ravens, MMA, Writing, Special Needs Kids, Classical Guitar

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 23 September 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

Writing was mediocre but there were some incredibly powerful images. I think a lot of them went over the heads of many viewers.
The only thing over viewer's heads was just what the hell was going on this season. Or how someone survives swimming in a hurricane. Powerful images can easily be manufactured but a coherent storyline, interesting plot lines any realistic actions are much more satisfying. Oh, and ending up a lumberjack. Never satisfying unless you sell paper towels.

Wrong. Truly powerful images are based on archetypes that transcend a single culture. Basic plots are comparative chicken scratch. Shakespeare, for example, certainly didn't get by on plots. He stole many of them. He was a poet and wiz with imagery both in the language and on the stage.

I think you missed a great deal of what Dexter was about. Your loss.

#687 Mr. IsNot

Mr. IsNot

Spaceman Spiff

• Members *
  • 50178 posts
  • Interests:Null

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

View PostRUDT, on 23 September 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

some explanations on some questions about the last episode from the producers :

http://tvrecaps.ew.c...s-finale-recap/

"The series finale was the best Dexter episode in years. That's the great news."

Best of the season.*

But I agree with him about the ending.

#688 ThinkingBig

ThinkingBig

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1433 posts
  • Interests:Family.

RUSH, movies, books, and politics.

Trying vegatable gardening.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

View PostRUDT, on 23 September 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

some explanations on some questions about the last episode from the producers :

http://tvrecaps.ew.c...s-finale-recap/

I got a question for the producers -- how did you screw up so bad?

They phoned in most of the last season.

That last episode sucked, and I loved the show.

#689 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

The Elitist Booby Type

• Members
  • 7433 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:17 PM

View PostFinding IT, on 23 September 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

Wrong. Truly powerful images are based on archetypes that transcend a single culture. Basic plots are comparative chicken scratch. Shakespeare, for example, certainly didn't get by on plots. He stole many of them. He was a poet and wiz with imagery both in the language and on the stage.

The potential for "powerful images" were there...Deb dying should have been emotionally powerful but was completely lacking in, well, anything. Perhaps we are saying different things? Whatever. This once great series was totally gutted of any impact on the viewers and other than Dexter's awful decision to abandon his son with another serial killer, no impact on the cast. Makes zero sense. The circuitous and nonsensical storylines completely robbed Dexter, as a show, as a narrative, of any satisfying or realistic conclusions.

Yes he's a tragic figure all alone and paying for his many sins. But it was such an absurd contrivance. But please enlighten me, enlighten us all how this final season and series finale was really high art that is over my head and I'm just too simple to grasp the significance of Dexter's sacrifice...or whatever the hell. Or don't. It doesn't matter. The show lost its way years ago and was way overdue to end and to end it with such weak and stupid storytelling was a shame.

#690 Finding IT

Finding IT

Kung Fu Fighting

• Members *
  • 8486 posts
  • Interests:Family and Friends, Education, Literature, Teaching Martial Arts, Baltimore Ravens, MMA, Writing, Special Needs Kids, Classical Guitar

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:36 AM

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 23 September 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

The potential for "powerful images" were there...Deb dying should have been emotionally powerful but was completely lacking in, well, anything. Perhaps we are saying different things? Whatever. This once great series was totally gutted of any impact on the viewers and other than Dexter's awful decision to abandon his son with another serial killer, no impact on the cast. Makes zero sense. The circuitous and nonsensical storylines completely robbed Dexter, as a show, as a narrative, of any satisfying or realistic conclusions.

Yes he's a tragic figure all alone and paying for his many sins. But it was such an absurd contrivance. But please enlighten me, enlighten us all how this final season and series finale was really high art that is over my head and I'm just too simple to grasp the significance of Dexter's sacrifice...or whatever the hell. Or don't. It doesn't matter. The show lost its way years ago and was way overdue to end and to end it with such weak and stupid storytelling was a shame.

Yeah, I agree with some of this, particularly about the other story lines. I hope you don't watch Game of Thrones because those may drive you insane.

#691 toscanobarga

toscanobarga

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 278 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

A sub-par season with just the crappiest series ending I think I've ever seen first hand.

Lame Lame Lame.

I'm expecting great things from Breaking Bad on Sunday.

#692 Union 5-3992

Union 5-3992

Hey, I thought I had to earn this

• Members *
  • 3535 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:12 PM

View PostFinding IT, on 24 September 2013 - 12:36 AM, said:

View Posttheredtamasrule, on 23 September 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

Yeah, I agree with some of this, particularly about the other story lines. I hope you don't watch Game of Thrones because those may drive you insane.
Well unlike Dexter, Game of Thrones already has it figured out how it's going to end. They aren't going to pull something stupid out of nowhere last minute unless Martin really goes insane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users