BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME

tangy

http://www.myspace.com/betweentheburiedandmeband

Wow! I heard these guys were coming to town and did a little listening at their myspace page over the past few days.

Exceptional progressive metal, take a listen. Try Sun of nothing- brutality followed by a sweet spacey section reminiscent of floyd or perhaps PT. Really unique.

Edited by tangdog

Well the verdict has been reached and this disc kicks major ass.

Must be heard to be fully appreciated but I would describe it as blend of the Image and words era of dream theater, pantera, Devin townsend and heaping pile of originality and off the wall playing. While there is a ton of really heavy playing and growling, they shift effortlessly into insane progressive jams with lighter vocals in most songs.

Lots of strong songs but my favorite is Ants of the sky.

1022.gif

i never listened to them until now. the 2007 stuff is real heavy. good shit 1022.gif

f**k it, I figure, if I am posting about Hannah Montana, the least I can do is bumper.gif this thread!

The disc Colors continues to amaze...........

TOUR DATES

11.29.07 Charleston, SC Music Farm

11.30.07 Ft. Lauderdale, Fl Culture Room

12.01.07 St. Petersburg, FL State Theater

12.02.07 Orlando, FL The Social

12.04.07 Austin, TX Red 7

12.05.07 Dallas, TX The Door

12.07.07 Tucson, AZ The Rock

12.08.07 Los Angeles, CA Knitting Factory

12.09.07 Fresno, CA The Exit

12.10.07 San Francisco, CA Slim's

12.12.07 Colorado, Co The Black Sheep

12.13.07 Lawrence, KS Granada Theater

12.14.07 Sauget, IL Pop's

12.15.07 Dayton, OH The Attic Club

12.16.07 Asheville, NC The Orange Peel

I just recently bought The Anatomy Of and Colors due to this thread. The cover album is kind of uneven IMO (I love "Blackened" and "Us and Them", but can hardly stand "Bicycle Race"), but Colors is very good, and is growing on me the more I listen to it. Thanks to the original poster for starting this thread. smile.gif

QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Nov 29 2007, 01:38 PM)
I just recently bought The Anatomy Of and Colors due to this thread. The cover album is kind of uneven IMO (I love "Blackened" and "Us and Them", but can hardly stand "Bicycle Race"), but Colors is very good, and is growing on me the more I listen to it. Thanks to the original poster for starting this thread. smile.gif

1022.gif Glad you like Colors! Less than three weeks to the show. 1022.gif

Well that was one hell of a show. I hope someone else caught this tour as it was unfucking beleivable. They played most of Colors, Mordecai, a cover by Sepultura and what may have been Selkies ( not sure on that one )

Great players. They will be opening along with 3 for Dream Theater and Opeth this spring.

My drum teacher played me a few snippets of some tracks from Colors tonight. Very interesting stuff. Extremely heavy bass, and a really neat drum solo in one of the songs. I wasn't fond of the growling though... may have to ask for this for Christmas.. wink.gif

QUOTE (Rush! @ Dec 18 2007, 08:28 PM)
My drum teacher played me a few snippets of some tracks from Colors tonight. Very interesting stuff. Extremely heavy bass, and a really neat drum solo in one of the songs. I wasn't fond of the growling though... may have to ask for this for Christmas.. wink.gif

Yeah, the drummer is top notch. This is the first group I like that growls for what its worth. All the lighter vocals came across very well too live. The energy they put out collectively as a group was pretty f@cking intense, ...can't say enough good things about this disc.

Their name is taken from a line in some Counting Crows song??

They are pretty bad ass. I can't wait for Prog Nation '08, to see them with DT and Opeth.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Dec 18 2007, 08:44 PM)
This is the first group I like that growls for what its worth.

Do you not like Opeth Tangy? Strapping Young Lad? Amon Amarth?

What about some of the vocals on Buckethead and Friends?

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 19 2007, 02:43 AM)

I do like Devin Townsend and I have heard some growls out of him but what I have heard by Devin thus far is not as "growly" as BTBAM. Then again I only own one Devin disc- Synchestra. Only have heard a few songs by SYL including U Suck. I have heard some Opeth but never really got into what few songs I heard. Maybe I should pick up one of their Steve Wilson produced discs and give it a shot In terms of Amon Amarth, I've heard the name but never any music. Unfortunately I don't have Buckethead and friends yet. Maybe I should hurry up and get it as I hear its becoming hard to find.

I guess I am starting to appreciate the growling as a outlet but its the music that does it for me with BTBAM.

A part of me just thinks the growling is funny, like when the singer for August Burns Red was warming up in stage I could not resist a chuckle.

QUOTE (KenJennings @ Dec 19 2007, 10:48 AM)
Colors is really solid. I've been hearing rumors they might tour with DT and Opeth this spring.

The tour with DT and Opeth is a done deal as far as I know. 3 is also on the bill. Should be a great tour.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Dec 16 2007, 11:48 PM)
Great players. They will be opening along with 3 for Dream Theater and Opeth this spring.

That sounds like an awesome combination- I hope that tour comes somewhere near me so that I can see it.

Listening to Opeth's Lamentations live double-disc right now -- good stuff, much mellower than the studio albums I've heard from them.

QUOTE (tangdog @ Dec 19 2007, 08:10 AM)

I do like Devin Townsend and I have heard some growls out of him but what I have heard by Devin thus far is not as "growly" as BTBAM. Then again I only own one Devin disc- Synchestra. Only have heard a few songs by SYL including U Suck. I have heard some Opeth but never really got into what few songs I heard. Maybe I should pick up one of their Steve Wilson produced discs and give it a shot In terms of Amon Amarth, I've heard the name but never any music. Unfortunately I don't have Buckethead and friends yet. Maybe I should hurry up and get it as I hear its becoming hard to find.

I guess I am starting to appreciate the growling as a outlet but its the music that does it for me with BTBAM.

A part of me just thinks the growling is funny, like when the singer for August Burns Red was warming up in stage I could not resist a chuckle.

You can still get Enter the Chicken at a good price from here mate...

http://www.serjicalstrike.com/store/produc...379a8ea97585181

I had an extra copy of this by accident but I swapped it with Rushhead for something...

For Opeth try Blackwater Park, Still Life, Ghost Reveries, you'll love all those. I really enjoy the second album Morningrise, but they're all great IMHO...

One death metal band that doesn't get much press is Vader they're absolutely great, try out Impressions in Blood it's fantastic stuff...

As far as the growling is concerned I see it as theatrical...

For SYL try Alien that's totally impressive, sounds like the soundtrack to an alien invasion on a distant planet by an insect-like machine-spider-reptile race dripping with internal fluids...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 19 2007, 06:01 PM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Dec 19 2007, 08:10 AM)

You can still get Enter the Chicken at a good price from here mate...

http://www.serjicalstrike.com/store/produc...379a8ea97585181

I had an extra copy of this by accident but I swapped it with Rushhead for something...

For Opeth try Blackwater Park, Still Life, Ghost Reveries, you'll love all those. I really enjoy the second album Morningrise, but they're all great IMHO...

One death metal band that doesn't get much press is Vader they're absolutely great, try out Impressions in Blood it's fantastic stuff...

As far as the growling is concerned I see it as theatrical...

For SYL try Alien that's totally impressive, sounds like the soundtrack to an alien invasion on a distant planet by an insect-like machine-spider-reptile race dripping with internal fluids...

Will do Treeduck. Been away from the computer for the past 10 days or so and just noticed this reply.