BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME

tangy

QUOTE (tangdog @ Dec 31 2007, 09:16 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 19 2007, 06:01 PM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Dec 19 2007, 08:10 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 19 2007, 02:43 AM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Dec 18 2007, 08:44 PM)
This is the first group I like that growls for what its worth.

Do you not like Opeth Tangy? Strapping Young Lad? Amon Amarth?

What about some of the vocals on Buckethead and Friends?

I do like Devin Townsend and I have heard some growls out of him but what I have heard by Devin thus far is not as "growly" as BTBAM. Then again I only own one Devin disc- Synchestra. Only have heard a few songs by SYL including U Suck. I have heard some Opeth but never really got into what few songs I heard. Maybe I should pick up one of their Steve Wilson produced discs and give it a shot In terms of Amon Amarth, I've heard the name but never any music. Unfortunately I don't have Buckethead and friends yet. Maybe I should hurry up and get it as I hear its becoming hard to find.

I guess I am starting to appreciate the growling as a outlet but its the music that does it for me with BTBAM.

A part of me just thinks the growling is funny, like when the singer for August Burns Red was warming up in stage I could not resist a chuckle.

You can still get Enter the Chicken at a good price from here mate...

http://www.serjicalstrike.com/store/produc...379a8ea97585181

I had an extra copy of this by accident but I swapped it with Rushhead for something...

For Opeth try Blackwater Park, Still Life, Ghost Reveries, you'll love all those. I really enjoy the second album Morningrise, but they're all great IMHO...

One death metal band that doesn't get much press is Vader they're absolutely great, try out Impressions in Blood it's fantastic stuff...

As far as the growling is concerned I see it as theatrical...

For SYL try Alien that's totally impressive, sounds like the soundtrack to an alien invasion on a distant planet by an insect-like machine-spider-reptile race dripping with internal fluids...

Will do Treeduck. Been away from the computer for the past 10 days or so and just noticed this reply.

I thought you had and I was gonna PM you but then I forgot about it...

ohmy.gif

cool.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 31 2007, 02:09 PM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Dec 31 2007, 09:16 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 19 2007, 06:01 PM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Dec 19 2007, 08:10 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Dec 19 2007, 02:43 AM)
QUOTE (tangdog @ Dec 18 2007, 08:44 PM)
This is the first group I like that growls for what its worth.

Do you not like Opeth Tangy? Strapping Young Lad? Amon Amarth?

What about some of the vocals on Buckethead and Friends?

I do like Devin Townsend and I have heard some growls out of him but what I have heard by Devin thus far is not as "growly" as BTBAM. Then again I only own one Devin disc- Synchestra. Only have heard a few songs by SYL including U Suck. I have heard some Opeth but never really got into what few songs I heard. Maybe I should pick up one of their Steve Wilson produced discs and give it a shot In terms of Amon Amarth, I've heard the name but never any music. Unfortunately I don't have Buckethead and friends yet. Maybe I should hurry up and get it as I hear its becoming hard to find.

I guess I am starting to appreciate the growling as a outlet but its the music that does it for me with BTBAM.

A part of me just thinks the growling is funny, like when the singer for August Burns Red was warming up in stage I could not resist a chuckle.

You can still get Enter the Chicken at a good price from here mate...

http://www.serjicalstrike.com/store/produc...379a8ea97585181

I had an extra copy of this by accident but I swapped it with Rushhead for something...

For Opeth try Blackwater Park, Still Life, Ghost Reveries, you'll love all those. I really enjoy the second album Morningrise, but they're all great IMHO...

One death metal band that doesn't get much press is Vader they're absolutely great, try out Impressions in Blood it's fantastic stuff...

As far as the growling is concerned I see it as theatrical...

For SYL try Alien that's totally impressive, sounds like the soundtrack to an alien invasion on a distant planet by an insect-like machine-spider-reptile race dripping with internal fluids...

Will do Treeduck. Been away from the computer for the past 10 days or so and just noticed this reply.

I thought you had and I was gonna PM you but then I forgot about it...

ohmy.gif

cool.gif

doh.gif cool10.gif

Yeah, packed the up family and headed down to southwest florida to sun my drunk ass in the gulf of mexico. It was righteous.......

Ants of the sky

I received Colors for Christmas, and surprisingly, I love it! Despite the death-metal type screaming, which I normally am not fond of, it doesn't bother me this time! When the music is that intense and heavy, I can kind of forget about the vocals and concentrate on the other-worldly drumming and powerful guitar riffs... and, in a way, the vocals are almost laughable.

The thing that grabs me the most about this album is the heaviness and the incredible drumming. I've never heard anyone drum that fast before.

TOUR DATES

02.12.08 Sheffield, England Corporation

02.13.08 Newcastle, England Academy 2

02.14.08 Manchester, England Academy 3

02.15.08 Glasgow, Scotland Cathouse

02.16.08 Dublin, Ireland Whelans

02.17.08 Belfast, North Ireland Spring & Airbrake

02.19.08 Leeds, England Cockpit

02.20.08 Birmingham, England Academy 2

02.21.08 Yeovil, England Orange Box

02.22.08 Bristol, England Academy

02.23.08 London, England Astoria 2

02.24.08 Brighton, England Concorde 2

http://www.betweentheburiedandme.com/

cool10.gif

BTBAM is doing a short headling tour before heading out on the Progresssive Nation tour....... I might catch the Knoxville Show.

TOUR DATES

03.30.08 Lancaster, PA Chameleon Club

04.01.08 Montreal, ON Le Studio

04.02.08 Ottawa, ON TBA

04.03.08 Toronto, ON Reverb

04.04.08 Guelph, ON Vinyl

04.05.08 Longon, ON Salt Lounge

04.07.08 Louisville, KY Uncle Peasants

04.08.08 Knoxville, TN Valarium

04.09.08 Greensboro, NC Greene Street Club

04.10.08 Carrboro, NC Cat's Cradle

04.11.08 Charlotte, NC Amo's Southend

http://www.betweentheburiedandme.com/

QUOTE (Rush! @ Mar 13 2008, 10:36 AM)
What else should I get by BTBAM? I've only heard Colors and I love it.....

Thats all I have too. I hear the covers disc they have out is good and I think Storm Shadow has recommended "Alaska".

I hope I can make a show on this latest tour but the closest venue is over 100 miles away.

Colors is growing on me, but their musical juxtapostions are almost too much to digest, like they tried to find the largest distance between two musical points and push them together just for the sake of it. Luckily this only happens about three or four times on the whole disc so it's just about ok in the final analysis. There's a lot of music on there though so as I say it's still growing as I listen..

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 8 2008, 06:15 PM)
Colors is growing on me, but their musical juxtapostions are almost too much to digest, like they tried to find the largest distance between two musical points and push them together just for the sake of it. Luckily this only happens about three or four times on the whole disc so it's just about ok in the final analysis. There's a lot of music on there though so as I say it's still growing as I listen..

I hear you. I've been listening to it regulary and still have not fully digested it entirely. The more I listen the more I become impressed by the drummer.

QUOTE (tangy @ Oct 8 2008, 07:32 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 8 2008, 06:15 PM)

I hear you. I've been listening to it regulary and still have not fully digested it entirely. The more I listen the more I become impressed by the drummer.

I agree. Blake Richardson is a powerful, intense drummer. How he could possibly have the stamina and endurance to play the whole Colors album live is beyond me. 1022.gif cool10.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Oct 9 2008, 08:06 AM)
I like it when he's singing. I really dislike the growling, although I haven't so much minded it in the case of Chuck Billy. Musically they're pretty intriguing...but the vocals.

Does this guy growl in every song? tongue.gif

To a certain extent they do some growling in every song but often it is mixed with softer vocals. I am not all that crazy about growling but the music is so intense I can tolerate the growling.

I love every song from track #4 (Sun of Nothing) to #8 (White walls).

1022.gif

It took a long time for me to totally 'get' this album. I listened to it once in the background, another time half-way through while on the phone, etc. Then, one time, just recently, hearing it again I thought it was just brilliant. It's a way complex mess. lol. I can't believe this album became popular. How?

I own the live CD/DVD...breath-taking! The DVD was filmed in HD...let me say WOW! Excellent DVD...and come on...Colors live in its entirety with kick ass bonus tracks like Selkies & Mordecai...brilliant!!

I did witness them live as well in Toronto @ The Kathedral where they played Colors in its entirety...great show. Also chatted with the guys afterwards and they were super-stoked for their tour with Dream Theater for PN08!!

1022.gif BTBAM 1022.gif

Lots of tasti progfulness to be had indeed. It's just so brutal that I wouldn't imagine too many cats giving this recording the requisite time allotment necessary for the thing to really unfold for listener...

Sure as schitt, I would have most definitely given up on this album, and wrote it off as a total meandering mess, if not for a bunch of people on the net who spoke so highly of it and told me to stick with it. Although, the record does seem like one of those masterpieces, for which there will be no sequel.

Have any of yas ever heard the Sprial Architect album from 2000? That album is on such a ridiculously high level of complexity that the band never reassembled to take a second stab at writing another one. That's probably the most complex Metal album ever created. Truly incredible. Makes Dream Theater look like AC/DC.

btbam dates.

Jul 16 2010 4:00P

Cool Tour 2010 @ Sonar Baltimore, Maryland , US

Jul 17 2010 4:00P

Cool Tour 2010 @ Sound Academy Toronto, Ontario , CA

Jul 18 2010 4:00P

Cool Tour 2010 @ Royal Oak Music Theatre Royal Oak, Michigan , US

Jul 20 2010 4:00P

Cool Tour 2010 @ House of Blues Boston Boston, Massachuse, US

Jul 21 2010 4:00P

Cool Tour 2010 @ Starland Ballroom Sayreville, New Jersey, US

Jul 22 2010 4:00P