The Amp Thread!

Soni

The Guitar Center by me has the Dual Rectifier Roadster 2x12 for $1400. Damn that's tempting! But ultimately I think I still want a Mark V.

That's a LOT of amp.

Don't see a lot of guys go overdrive into wah. Most players I've seen/played with the only thing before a wah is volume. That's a lot of stuff in line too (even if in a loop). No offense but how do you hear the guitar? :)

Either way works fine. The difference is how the taper of the wah responds, being that if you go overdrive then into a wah the taper will be more 'smooth'. The overdrive I use cannot be fed a buffered signal, in order to respond to my volume control like a fuzz pedal. My setup is a little odd given that I run overdrive, wah, buffer and then volume and so forth. The taper of my wah gets too narrow if I put a buffer before it. I don't think I have that much in line, and the difference between going straight to amp and through my effects is not noticeable. :)

I record mostly and I spent a good couple hours not long ago going through my cables to hear what they sounded like and how much it affected tone. It was astounding. I encourage everyone to try it. I can only imagine the noise/signal loss by adding a stomp box and another cable to the chain. I have so many stomps and rack boxes that never get used anymore because all my processing is after the amp. I mean people spend a grand or more a piece on a guitar and amp then stick a $100 box in the middle (or more) with $5 cables and $1 connectors. Though our buddy Shelly has shown some nicer FX here, those are all usually in the $250+ range. Even still... Each piece you add to the line is filtering even if powered. Length is a top and bottom killer sonically. Bad construction can gut the middle or skew the spectrum.

Good cables and a good power supply is always good. Ground loops can be pretty annoying too. I go through 35 feet of Mogami cable, and I can assure you that there's not anything missing in the top or bottom end. There would if I didn't use a buffer.

I intend to get a couple more cables like the best one I have (Mogami gold with Neutrik connectors) so I can stick a wah in line occasionally. Any other effect can be done after the amp with better results. But that's me... I also have specific amps for clean tones and for distortion tones. My old original MXR Distortion+ is very lonely. :)

Depends on how you wan't your effects to behave. Too me running effects after the amp sounds cold and sterile. I see the point in having certain amps for certain tones, but being a poor musician I always seek to get the everything out of one amp. Of course it also boils down to the kind of music one plays, and how one plays it I guess. I don't use any channel switching since the music I play doesn't need it.

:)

My Marshall 2150 combo

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2872/9931873116_190e7a873b.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3798/9931992833_fa1dd1fd9e.jpg

It had blown two heater fuses. Replaced them and everything lights up fine, so time to take it for a test drive tomorrow :)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3718/9931871946_0d0b6ede82.jpg

• Like 2

The Guitar Center by me has the Dual Rectifier Roadster 2x12 for $1400. Damn that's tempting! But ultimately I think I still want a Mark V.

That's a LOT of amp.

I have to pass on it because it is a 2x12, and I already have a 2x12 that I want to convert to a 1x12.

The ones my buddy has have pull pots and all kinds of crazy stuff too. Lots of versatility with Boogies.

I've had a QSC Audio RMX 850 power amplifier for years and apparently they are notorious for cutting out because of the contact points on the volume knobs getting contaminated. So, like a knob, I've dealt with it by applying pressure on the knobs with bunjee cords, tape…you name it…to some success. It's so frustrating because I'm standing there adjusting for minutes on end kind of like trying to tune in a radio station. Some days you just put the guitar down.

So I finally got the correct spray to clean that shit out. DeoxIT D5. I'm ready to take back my life. So happy. Sounds so good. Playing some Andy Summers type shit after reading his book. Plan on cranking this shit up tomorrow.

I love the stereo sound of the LINE6 PROD PRO and I I have a couple Marshall 4x12's to make it extra delicious...along with my G&L Legacy guitar that the previous owner made into a "relic." Had some fun balancing the bridge today and bringing the pickups closer to the strings, etc. Good videos on line for do it yourself tweaks.

This whole ordeal reminds me of high school when i had to take the cover off a Scholz Rockmodule put my guitar cord on the correct spot, then put a gallon size paint can on there to hold it all in place for shows.

My Marshall 2150 combo

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2872/9931873116_190e7a873b.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3798/9931992833_fa1dd1fd9e.jpg

It had blown two heater fuses. Replaced them and everything lights up fine, so time to take it for a test drive tomorrow :)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3718/9931871946_0d0b6ede82.jpg

Heureka, it worked! Cranking it through 4 greenbacks and it is a monster! :D

I have an orange MK 200 head with an orange 4X10 isobaric cabinet

to get a similar tone to Geddy, I Crank the gain, boost the treble, and I use a Fulltone bass drive pedal to give it that real grit that we al know and love!

Heres a multi-cam cover video of me playing YYZ:

My amps:

Wasp 200W tube (valve) head (Australian made amp from the 1980's similar to an old Marshall I think) + 4 x 12 quad box. Ridiculously loud. Sold it years ago.

1984 Peavey Bandit 65w. Brought second hand many years ago. Refuses to die. Takes pedals pretty well.

Orange Crush 15 amp. POS. More like a bad sounding toy than a real amp. At least it was cheap.

2014 Fender Custom deluxe reverb 22w. Absolutely love it. Has made me rediscover my love of playing guitar.

Two Marshall MG's.

One is a MG100FX, it came bundled with a cab. This was my first "nice" amp, and for an amp that I bought while I was in high school, I love it. Eventually I'll replace it with something nicer without the FX loop now that I have pedals.

The other is a MG30FX. Same deal, except I can take this one up to college with me and not blow everyone's doors off with the 100.

Fender Deluxe Reverb, Champ and Pro Reverb.

What can I say, I love me some Fender.

Beautiful amps you have there :)

I play through a 2014 Fender 68 Custom deluxe reverb 22w.

I use the same Fender Deluxe 85 solid state dual channel amp that I bought in the late 80s(?). I know the 'serious' players in this thread will scoff at it, but I only play 2/3 times a month just to make sure the fingers still work. It's the 'red dial' version of the model, which I think may mean something to some people. I think I read that Radiohead used this amp in the studio. I replaced the speaker a couple of years ago with a Patriot Texas Heat after the original starting sounding roached. Pretty much the same tone even after the speaker change. It tends to have more top end which is what I prefer since I play at low volume. But it still has enough balls even with only the gain set at 8. I just like to plug and play and it's great for that. The only effect I use is a late 80s dod stereo chorus with my 81 Ibanez Artist as my main ax.

80s gear is starting to get known as 'vintage'. I just thought it was old guitar crap. :P

One of these, when I want to annoy the neighbors a bit. 15" alluminum. (I got this becasue I figured my next stage would be small gigs... don't need a cab just yet)

175817.jpg

I've got a smaller 30W Hartke for indoors.... but I almost never use it now. I mostly practice through a board and headhones these days.

Because of this:

http://www.lamusic.ca/v/vspfiles/photos/BP355-2.jpg

Edited by grep

One of these, when I want to annoy the neighbors a bit. 15" alluminum. (I got this becasue I figured my next stage would be small gigs... don't need a cab just yet)

175817.jpg

I've got a smaller 30W Hartke for indoors.... but I almost never use it now. I mostly practice through a board and headhones these days.

Because of this:

http://www.lamusic.ca/v/vspfiles/photos/BP355-2.jpg

My high school band has that same Hartke. I used it when they had me on bass guitar for concert band.