The Amp Thread!

Soni

QUOTE (AVman9 @ Oct 19 2010, 01:00 AM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Oct 17 2010, 07:56 PM)
65 deluxe reverb reissue

An amazing amplifier. yes.gif

Thanks.

I love it.

I love my JSX

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/skyhcky/guitaramp-1.jpg

For some reason it sounds better when Satch is playing through it... smile.gif

QUOTE (AVman9 @ Nov 6 2010, 12:33 AM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Oct 21 2010, 09:24 PM)
I find that a lot of people who play through my amp sound better than I do...

Thinking like that will get you nowhere. dazed025.gif

Good point, but Bill Frisell and Mark Knopfler and Pete Anderson have a way with that amplifier that I can't seem to wrangle. Do't get me wrong, I love the amp and can make it sound good with my weekend warrior status, but guys like the aforementioned have a special touch that makes me wonder what they did to their amps.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Nov 14 2010, 07:52 AM)
QUOTE (AVman9 @ Nov 6 2010, 12:33 AM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Oct 21 2010, 09:24 PM)

Thinking like that will get you nowhere. dazed025.gif

Good point, but Bill Frisell and Mark Knopfler and Pete Anderson have a way with that amplifier that I can't seem to wrangle. Do't get me wrong, I love the amp and can make it sound good with my weekend warrior status, but guys like the aforementioned have a special touch that makes me wonder what they did to their amps.

Maybe they didn't do anything to them. Maybe you have the answer right there -- that "special touch." More than the amp or guitar, your fingers are the most important thing as far as tone is concerned.

Check out this vid. It's Joe Satriani, playing through a crappy Pignose Strat copy and 30w Peavey practice amp. Not the most desirable tone rig. Joe still makes it sound like Joe with his fingers and playing style.

I picked up a Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 50 w combo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/Mitchellmania/HKamp.jpg]

I had a Line 6 Spider III 75 w I upgraded from. I must say at first I wanted my Line 6 back, but after a few days, I got all the tones I will ever need out of this amp! It's also very loud. Even a 0, it's like room volume! LOL! And the Midi pedal, I can store 128 presets, and I paid $800.00 for it new, so I'm very happy.

Edited by RUSHian62

My husband bought me a Crate GX-30M today. It's in great condition and makes my Luna sound amazing! very nice smile.gif

He mentioned that he'd seen a H&K Attax 100 Head for $250. Is this a good deal? Because if he could get that and build a nice flame maple cabinet to go with it, I'm thinking that would kick ass. 1022.gif

QUOTE (RUSHian62 @ Apr 6 2011, 06:07 PM)
I had a Line 6 Spider III 75 w I upgraded from. I must say at first I wanted my Line 6 back, but after a few days, I got all the tones I will ever need out of this amp! It's also very loud. Even a 0, it's like room volume! LOL! And the Midi pedal, I can store 128 presets, and I paid $800.00 for it new, so I'm very happy.

I have a switchblade 100w head which I run through a 4x12 cab for live use, though I find it sounds even better through 15 inch speakers for some reason.

I think it's a fantastic amp...it doesn't sound quite as good out of the box as other amps but tweaking is very well rewarded, and it's versatility is staggering.

I can get any sound I like from clean to twang, rockabilly, crunch right up to Dual rectifier red channel territory.

Thoroughly recommended.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Apr 10 2011, 07:38 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHian62 @ Apr 6 2011, 06:07 PM)

I have a switchblade 100w head which I run through a 4x12 cab for live use, though I find it sounds even better through 15 inch speakers for some reason.

I think it's a fantastic amp...it doesn't sound quite as good out of the box as other amps but tweaking is very well rewarded, and it's versatility is staggering.

I can get any sound I like from clean to twang, rockabilly, crunch right up to Dual rectifier red channel territory.

Thoroughly recommended.

I want to get a 4x 12" cabinet for my amp. If I do play out 50 watts should be enough for the small clubs around here. H&K Cabinets are $$$, so I'm looking at Avatar cabs- They will build to your needs for about $600.00!

Well, we picked up that Attax 100 head for $200. Hubby and BIL are going to build a cabinet... well 2 actually; a single 15" and a dual 8". Probably a bit much for me but it may be something we'd sell. IN any case, I'll post a picture when it's done.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Oct 21 2010, 10:24 PM)

Do they sound better, or play better? Or do they just play differently? Are you hearing your amp differently because you are not responsible for the sound coming from it? There are so many factors that affect your over all tone. But as people keep telling you, the biggest factor is YOU and your fingers. Keep practicing.

So this is the H&K Attax amp head:

user posted image

The cabinet is done but needs a finish on the wood. Should be complete this weekend.

Meanwhile, I'm using this Crate:

user posted image

With a 2-line pedal. That was my mother's Day present! wacko.gif cool.gif

QUOTE (-Ender- @ Apr 14 2011, 07:18 AM)

Do they sound better, or play better? Or do they just play differently? Are you hearing your amp differently because you are not responsible for the sound coming from it? There are so many factors that affect your over all tone. But as people keep telling you, the biggest factor is YOU and your fingers. Keep practicing.

Probably a little of both. I guess I was referring to the people I have read about that who use the same amp...not necessarily mine. I was looking into the modifications people do, and think that I am going to swap out the speaker. I can hold my own as a player, but have a long way to go. I had an opportunity to play through a 67 fender princeton with Joe Bonamassa's gold sparkle strat about 15 years ago. When I gave it back to him he definitely played better than me, but there was also presence he had through the same setup that I am still working on...but may never achieve.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ May 1 2011, 07:42 AM)

Probably a little of both. I guess I was referring to the people I have read about that who use the same amp...not necessarily mine. I was looking into the modifications people do, and think that I am going to swap out the speaker. I can hold my own as a player, but have a long way to go. I had an opportunity to play through a 67 fender princeton with Joe Bonamassa's gold sparkle strat about 15 years ago. When I gave it back to him he definitely played better than me, but there was also presence he had through the same setup that I am still working on...but may never achieve.

Well shit yeah...that was Joe Bonamassa! There is so much difference between people as players. That should be a perfect lesson for you. I can use Joe's pick (I bought some, but still prefer the Tortex one's I've used forever) and play his guitar through his amp, and he will sound different than me (and definitely better) when I hand the guitar back to him. Its how he holds the pick, the angle of attack, the force of the picking motion, and then how he frets the note, his vibrato technique, his bending technique, so many variables.

And remember, people may use the same amps, but completely different tone settings. What kind of guitar are they using? What kind of pickups? What about effect pedals? And like you mentioned, what about speakers, or speaker cabinets?

There are just so many variables to consider when you are chasing tone.

The following vid makes the rounds a lot in threads like these. For all I know it could have already been posted in this one. It's Joe Satriani playing someone else's cheap guitar through a cheap amp. Read the description first, then give it a spin:

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 1 2011, 10:25 AM)
The following vid makes the rounds a lot in threads like these. For all I know it could have already been posted in this one. It's Joe Satriani playing someone else's cheap guitar through a cheap amp. Read the description first, then give it a spin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9v5e1TTwts

I love this. It just goes to show you it's in your hands, head, and soul. I remember a story about Ted Nugent and Eddie Van Halen switching guitars/amps backstage and sounding like they normally do.

QUOTE (-Ender- @ May 1 2011, 08:13 AM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ May 1 2011, 07:42 AM)

Well shit yeah...that was Joe Bonamassa! There is so much difference between people as players. That should be a perfect lesson for you. I can use Joe's pick (I bought some, but still prefer the Tortex one's I've used forever) and play his guitar through his amp, and he will sound different than me (and definitely better) when I hand the guitar back to him. Its how he holds the pick, the angle of attack, the force of the picking motion, and then how he frets the note, his vibrato technique, his bending technique, so many variables.

And remember, people may use the same amps, but completely different tone settings. What kind of guitar are they using? What kind of pickups? What about effect pedals? And like you mentioned, what about speakers, or speaker cabinets?

There are just so many variables to consider when you are chasing tone.

Yeah, and Bonamassa was using a strat and a stock amp in that room. The thing that amazed me was that he doesn't necessarily sound that much different with his arsenal. I was hanging out with his dad one day when he came in and his dad had him check out a 70s musicman that came in. He pulled a tele off the wall plugged it in and came alive. I want to be able to do that.

As for the variables, I think a mod is in order for the deluxe. My friend is talking me up on a Weber speaker that is supposed to be THE speaker for a deluxe. Its $100 broken in already. I may have to pull the trigger.

The H&K amp is finished! What do you think?

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/HKAmp1.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/HKAmp2.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/laserspray/HKAmp3.jpg

I love the crunch 1022.gif