Sponsored Post

#2 apetersvt

apetersvt

The Professor

• Members
  • 3427 posts
  • Interests:wine (good beer and cheap liquor actually), women, and song

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:19 AM

I play through a Rivera - 55WChubster (PRS McCarty, Gibson LP Classic, Fender Telly)

user posted image

#3 rushfanNlv

rushfanNlv

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2072 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Oct 22 2007, 05:19 AM)
I play through a Rivera - 55WChubster (PRS McCarty, Gibson LP Classic, Fender Telly)

user posted image

Nice!  I've read great things about the Riveras.

I play through two Marshall 4140 Club and Country Combos.  They are older amps from the late 70's, which mean they are hard to maintain, but I love the sound of them.  They are very clean and bluesy sounding and they take pedals very, very well.

In my "B" rig I use a Peavey classic 30 run through a Yamaha 2x12 cabinet for more bottom end.  I love the sound of the Peavey amp.  I can coax a wide range of tones from this little amp.  I can go all the way from The Black Crows to Metallica with just my EMG equipped guitar and the amp.  No pedals at all.

#4 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 33770 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:16 AM

I've got two Marshall combos: a JCM800 and a JCM900. I'm not 100% happy with either one of them anymore, but I don't have $3000 for a new amp right now.

user posted image

#5 -D-RocK-

-D-RocK-

knuckle draggin' canucklehead

• Members *
  • 9854 posts
  • Interests:Too numerous to list but here are some: Cycling, Girls, Hiking, Books, Food & Wine, Hockey, Football, Travel, Girls, Aviation, My Telescope, Skiing & Boarding, etc. etc. etc........

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 22 2007, 09:16 AM)

user posted image

That is some serious ampage.

May I trouble you and ask why you are not happy with?

#6 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 33770 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Oct 22 2007, 01:01 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 22 2007, 09:16 AM)

user posted image

That is some serious ampage.

May I trouble you and ask why you are not happy with?

The older 800 (bottom amp in that pic) has a nice tone, but it's a little too AC/DC-ish for my taste. There are plenty of mods that can be done to this amp to alter its tone (it's built old-school -- mostly point-to-point wiring as opposed to all integrated circuit boards, so it's easy to mod) but the other problem is the effects loop. This version of the JCM800 is the first Marshall to have an effects loop, and at that point they hadn't quite perfected them yet. It's a high-impedance loop, whereas all the newer amps have low-impedance loops. Some of the newer effects units, like my TC Electronic G-Major, needs a low-impedance loop to drive it. I could have the loop modded, but I'd want it to be tube-driven, and that's a potentially expensive mod, and since I'm not 100% in love with this amp, I'm not sure I want to do that.

The 900 is a little too grainy and "hair metal" sounding. It's also not very loud. I've modded it to use different power tubes and better speakers, and it sounds decent now, but not quite what I'm looking for.

Both amps are split channel (clean and dirty), but the clean channel on both isn't loud enough. I figure I'm left with two options: Get the 800 modded and get another amp like a Fender Vibra-Lux for cleans and switch between the two, or get a stronger two-channel amp like a Bogner or H&K or maybe even the new Marshall AVP (four channels!). Those amps are expensive as hell, and I don't have that kind of money to spare right now.

#7 -D-RocK-

-D-RocK-

• Members *
  • 9854 posts
  • Interests:Too numerous to list but here are some: Cycling, Girls, Hiking, Books, Food & Wine, Hockey, Football, Travel, Girls, Aviation, My Telescope, Skiing & Boarding, etc. etc. etc........

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:05 PM

Ahhh........

That's good info, I'm looking to upgrade from my current MG100, which I still may keep, but I'm thinking I will need something with a little more horsepower in the near future.

1022.gif  

#8 mortkort

mortkort

King of the Kort

• Members *
  • 5051 posts
  • Interests:Music, Tottenham, good tv shows and movies.

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Oct 22 2007, 08:05 PM)
Ahhh........

That's good info, I'm looking to upgrade from my current MG100, which I still may keep, but I'm thinking I will need something with a little more horsepower in the near future.

1022.gif

mesa boggie mark iv  1022.gif  

#9 -D-RocK-

-D-RocK-

• Members *
  • 9854 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (mortkort @ Oct 22 2007, 01:49 PM)

Oh ya?

Hmmmmmmmmm.....................

#10 Padfoot

Padfoot

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1210 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:12 PM

Spider II

user posted image

#11 Deadwing

Deadwing

The Seeker

• Members
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:Music, writing, recording, playing, reading, pool, Scotch whisky, red wine, Scrabble

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (mortkort @ Oct 22 2007, 03:49 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Oct 22 2007, 08:05 PM)
Ahhh........

1022.gif

Nice! Either that or the Mark III is what I'll be buying next. Right now I'm playing one of these:

user posted image

Vintage 1976 Hiwatt DR103 Custom 100.

I'm keeping it of course, just love the overdriven tone of a Mesa Mark as well. Expanding a little.

Edited by Deadwing, 22 October 2007 - 06:47 PM.

#12 krlowe

krlowe

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Professional Musician, Music Educator

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:33 PM

Peavey Session with 15" Black Widow Speaker!

Made for steel guitar, but I love it w/my strat!

#13 xredsectorx

xredsectorx

The Professor

• Members
  • 3358 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, attempting to write music, Xbox, attending as many concerts as possible, listening to music...

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:54 AM

Fender FM 212R

#14 CygnusX-1Bk2

CygnusX-1Bk2

Certified Verbal Ass Kicker

• 3774 posts
  • Interests:Sound Design & Effects for games and picture (my main gig). Music (sometimes more than a hobby, it's paid the bills at times).
    Sound recording, which is also my job.
    Baseball.

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:40 PM

I have a few amps that I use.

1978 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Electar (Epiphone) Tube 30 (good little combo, almost like a Vox, but a little crunchier)
Fender Princeton 112 (solid state, good for bass and keys)
Fender Sidekick 15 R (closed back ported)
Fender Sidekick 15 (open back)

Line 6 POD 2.0
Line 6 Bass POD Pro

#15 Soni

Soni

Cloches Tubulaires

• Members *
  • 5085 posts
  • Interests:stuff.

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:58 PM

User posted image
It's a small amp, but it's enough for what I need smile.gif

#16 AnalogAlex

AnalogAlex

The Seeker

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:outside of music and guitars... airsoft skirmishing

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:16 PM

I currently use a Marshall MG50dfx and hook it up to my large marshall speaker(no idea which model speaker it is.. anyone?)
user posted image
the long thin one in the background is a H&H amp, and is one of my spare amps(that and an old Stingray Amp)

#17 defrushfan01

defrushfan01

Making Modern Music

• Members *
  • 2735 posts
  • Interests:Music, Music, Music, Music.... Listing to music, playing music, recording music. Music plays a big part in my day to day life, if theres no music, life is dull.

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:27 PM

user posted image

user posted image

Heres the live rig! Its a B-52 AT-100. I took out the Digitech GSP2101 and i put a rack drawer in, and im getting a new Digitech GSP1101 for the rack (thinking about it) but right now im just running the B-52 and my newly updated pedal board consisting of in order from left to right (Ernie Ball VPJR, Cry Baby Classic, Boss TU-2, Boss DS-1, Boss MT-2, Line 6 MM4(modulation modler has chorus, flanger, rotary speaker, and the such) Line 6 DL4.)

If i dont get the GSP1101 i might get the AM4 (amp modler) to get some more tones at my toes.

#18 CygnusX-1Bk2

CygnusX-1Bk2

Certified Verbal Ass Kicker

• 3774 posts
  • Interests:Sound Design & Effects for games and picture (my main gig). Music (sometimes more than a hobby, it's paid the bills at times).
    Sound recording, which is also my job.
    Baseball.

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:47 PM

Ok, pinned for good measure.

#19 defrushfan01

defrushfan01

Making Modern Music

• Members *
  • 2735 posts
  • Interests:Music, Music, Music, Music.... Listing to music, playing music, recording music. Music plays a big part in my day to day life, if theres no music, life is dull.

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Oct 23 2007, 10:47 PM)
Ok, pinned for good measure.

THANKS!!  2.gif  653.gif  

#20 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 33770 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE (AnalogAlex @ Oct 23 2007, 08:16 PM)
I currently use a Marshall MG50dfx and hook it up to my large marshall speaker(no idea which model speaker it is.. anyone?)
user posted image

Well, I will venture to guess...that speaker looks like a no-name PA system speaker with a Marshall logo stuck on it. Even if Marshall made PA equipment (and this would be the first I've heard of it), speaker cabinets with horn tweeters are not meant to be used with guitar amps. I assume you bought that used from somebody?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users