Neil's Hats

Iridium318

Does anyone know the correct term/name for the style of hat Neil wears on stage? I thought it was a kufi, but all I get when I search on that are knitted hats that fit tighter than what he is wearing. I also found some more "pillbox" looking hats, but they are too squared off on top.

Any help for the name and a source for them would be very helpful.

It is a kufi hat, which is a short, rounded, brimless cap worn by men in West Africa (among other areas of the world.) In West Africa, it does not necessarily connote any religios meaning, but I believe that among Muslims they do have a religious meaning.

They can be made of a variety of materials, including kente cloth, yarn, and others.

QUOTE (Melll @ Oct 22 2007, 11:08 AM)
Am I alone in saying that I preferred Neil wearing a bandana?

Nope!

I wish I had something more to add there, but all I could think of was saying "Nope!"

Oh, and,

I guess a bandana makes him look more "rock"? 1022.gif

Yeah, I remember those rumors. People thought he had cancer and the chemo was making him bald and that's why he started wearing the bandannas and then the hats.

Also heard the rumor that he had a PhD.

You know, he says he wears the hat to keep sweat out of his eyes. Think back to the early days when they all had all of that long hair. That must have been a nightmare when playing the drums as he does......

I noticed he alternates on tour. Hollywood Bowl he wore an all black hat with raised S&A logos around it which I thought looked the most trick. Irvine, Las Vegas he wore the colored logos. 2.gif 1022.gif

Here in Oberhausen, he had different ones on for the two halves of the show. The first one was one of the colored patterns, and the send one was the one with the S&A logo. To bad those aren't available in the store, either here or the Offical Store.

QUOTE (Melll @ Oct 22 2007, 11:08 AM)
Am I alone in saying that I preferred Neil wearing a bandana?

No, you're not alone. I have said many times that the bandana/goatee combination is what works for him.

drool1.gif

biggrin.gif

Do I detect just a HINT of sarcasm?

As a bald man who plays drums and has had sweat drip into my eyes, it actually is of interest to me. I wear a bandanna, because unless you have a cultural link to it, you must be a professional musician of Neil's stature to pull off the kufi hat without looking ridiculous.

I suppose if he's worried abouyt male-pattern baldness he could simply recultivate his luxuriant handlebar moustache, then arrange it over his head in an elaborate comb-over - problem solved yes.gif wink.gif

Fridge,

Some of our friends from way over west (even further than Irvine) don't do Scots humour too well.

As for me, I laughed so hard I nearly bought a round.

Did you get back on the beach in time to make the SECC bash?

Hi mate..

Yes, I just made it, though I missed the first song. Like you, I got snarled up in the bloody Roadworks!

And what do you mean, you nearly bought a round?

Steady on man, it wasn't THAT funny!

Speaking of Neil's hats... this one is kind of rare...

During the HYF Tour, in New Orleans during the last song (In The Mood), Neil put on one of those huge, oversized foam cowboy hats... not sure if he did that on any other dates during that tour or not...

I sure do wish I had a pic of that! I was front row center, and did take pictures during the show, but of course, I was out of film by time we got to the encore... would have made an interesting pic!

QUOTE (wordsmith @ Oct 24 2007, 09:15 AM)
Do I detect just a HINT of sarcasm?

As a bald man who plays drums and has had sweat drip into my eyes, it actually is of interest to me. I wear a bandanna, because unless you have a cultural link to it, you must be a professional musician of Neil's stature to pull off the kufi hat without looking ridiculous.

Exactly. If you were at the Irvine show in the pit, Peart was having a lot of perspiation going into his eyes and stinging them, even with the hat. I could see it bothered him a little. I chugged my bottled ice water during a song and all three chugged ice water right after it. 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (jkt2112 @ Oct 25 2007, 06:25 AM)
Ok, who the f##k cares???

But why wouldn't you care? ohmy.gif

This is an issue of paramount importance yes.gif

Now, does anyone else think that he should perhaps move on from the African headgear and go for a nice, fetching straw boater instead?

Hmmm?

QUOTE (jkt2112 @ Oct 25 2007, 12:25 AM)
Ok, who the f##k cares??? 

One fun and easy way to see who the f##k cares is to see who replied to this thread. That's who the f##k cares.

Why rain on somebody else's parade?

Archived