NHL and NHLPA

neilpeart_gal

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ditto that, Snowdog.

I can see both sides of it, but from my own greediness, I would like to see more financial parity in the league. There's no way teams like mine can ever match up with the Detroits and the New Yorks when we can't begin to afford the Yzerman's and the Jagr's (even tho I happen to think he's crap). At the same time, I don't think successful teams should be punished as such. Kind of a double edged sword for me.

For the sake of American hockey, there had better be a season. Places like your city and Tampa will suffer large.

So sad eh? Tampa 2004SC winners and will still lose tonnes of money. Places like NJ lose a tonne of money every year, eventhough they win often...

QUOTE (neilpeart_gal @ Sep 1 2004, 11:47 AM)
When the season gets going (IF it does), remind me and we'll start going there and mucking about. We'll get some CPers to play along too. smile.gif

Sure - I may go by a different handle though. 'Barney' doesn't have a good name in the hockey world. You wouldn't believe the number of trolls after my ass...

And how did you think I learned how to spam? We used to trash the boards of other teams!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Sep 1 2004, 09:53 AM)
QUOTE (neilpeart_gal @ Sep 1 2004, 11:47 AM)
When the season gets going (IF it does), remind me and we'll start going there and mucking about.  We'll get some CPers to play along too.  smile.gif

Sure - I may go by a different handle though. 'Barney' doesn't have a good name in the hockey world. You wouldn't believe the number of trolls after my ass...

And how did you think I learned how to spam? We used to trash the boards of other teams!! laugh.gif

Troll. laugh.gif

I want a season as well.

If the NHLPA & the owners can't come to terms, I urge everyone to go find your closest AHL team and support them. It's great hockey, and they've promised us a season even if the dreaded 7 letter word does happen.

And Barney_Rebel, there's a Barney with a GREAT rep in Manchester, NH. We look forward to seeing our Roger Daltry-ish RW again in October.

Rhiannon

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v394/Rhiannon_of_Rivendell/Monarchs_Logo.png

NEW YORK -- The NHL accepted an invitation from the players' association on Thursday to return to the negotiating table in an effort to end the lockout that began nearly three months ago.

In a letter sent to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman on Thursday, players' association executive director Bob Goodenow proposed that the sides meet next week in Toronto and said the union is working on a new proposal.

No official talks have occurred since Sept. 9, when the union made its last offer. The lockout reached its 78th day Thursday.

"We look forward to meeting with the NHL Players Association next week," said Bill Daly, the league's chief legal officer. "We are hopeful that the NHLPA's offer will be a meaningful effort to address the league's economic problems. When we receive the proposal, we will evaluate it closely and respond appropriately."

The last offer by the NHLPA was a luxury tax-based deal that was rejected by the league, and the lockout began one week later. As of Thursday, 334 regular-season games, plus the 2005 All-Star game, have been wiped out.

The offer to resume talks came just hours before Bettman updated the league's general managers during a dinner meeting in New York.

The players' association said its new proposal should provide the basis for a new collective bargaining agreement.

"Almost three months have passed since the players made their last proposal and we have yet to receive a counteroffer from the league," Goodenow said in a statement. "We have been working hard at other creative solutions and believe our new proposal will provide a basis to end the owners' lockout and resume NHL hockey."

Bettman has said that a luxury tax won't work for the 30 NHL teams, which he claims are losing money at a pace that makes it impossible for the league to survive under the current system. He is seeking "cost certainty" for the clubs, which the union says is tantamount to a salary cap -- a solution it refuses to accept.

The league has been operating under the same collective bargaining agreement since 1995, when the last lockout -- that lasted 103 days -- ended and a truncated 48-game schedule was held. That deal was extended twice.

Bettman said that teams have lost more than $1.8 billion combined over 10 years, and that management will not agree to a labor deal without a defined relationship between revenue and salaries. Owners claim teams lost $273 million in 2002-03 and $224 million last season.

An economic study commissioned by the NHL found that players get 76 percent of league revenues, far more than the percentage for the other major team sports. The players' association has challenged many of the league's financial findings.

sports.espn.go.com

QUOTE (neilpeart_gal @ Dec 2 2004, 12:17 PM)
I hope this new idea by the NHLPA is something close to CBA. My understanding is the league won't accept much else. sad.gif

I hope they work something out, I just want to see something other than Minor League Hockey this year!!! yes.gif

Don't count on new meetings being particularly beneficial to us, the fans. The last words out of Bettman's mouth before talks broke off were ; "we're not even talking the same language".

I think the NHLPA is getting a little nervous, because they realize that the longer the strike goes on, the more the fan base, (especially in Canada), shrinks. I think the NHLPA is also afraid of the very real possibility that if the strike were to go on for an extended period of time, some franchises could be shut down permanently, (which I personally think should happen anyway, as the product is too watered down, and career minor-leaguers are given big NHL contracts).

Don't forget, I come from an age when hockey actually meant something, when you could afford to take your kids, and when Bobby Orr was the greatest hockey player in the world.

QUOTE (ChefEllwood @ Dec 3 2004, 06:59 AM)
Don't count on new meetings being particularly beneficial to us, the fans. The last words out of Bettman's mouth before talks broke off were ; "we're not even talking the same language".
I think the NHLPA is getting a little nervous, because they realize that the longer the strike goes on, the more the fan base, (especially in Canada), shrinks. I think the NHLPA is also afraid of the very real possibility that if the strike were to go on for an extended period of time, some franchises could be shut down permanently, (which I personally think should happen anyway, as the product is too watered down, and career minor-leaguers are given big NHL contracts).
Don't forget, I come from an age when hockey actually meant something, when you could afford to take your kids, and when Bobby Orr was the greatest hockey player in the world.

You can afford to take your kids in SOME markets (Nashville for one). I don't think the Detroits and New Yorks will ever be reasonable again. But I'm thinking you probably mean that Nashville is one of the teams that should be dissolved (I've heard this before) because its making the game too 'watered down.' I guess my argument would be what better way to expose new fans (esp. future players!) to the game than the NHL live? If it is affordable, there is more chances of that happening, thus keeping the game going. Believe it or not, that does make markets like the Nashvilles and Carolinas a viable idea for the NHL.

BTW I challenge anyone to find an NFL market where its affordable to take a family of 4 to a game. Even teams with losing records still have high ticket prices.

Exactly what I was thinking. Canada was the country that founded the league, and how does Bettman repay them? By moving two franchises out of Canada. At least he passed a rule saying that you can move teams into Canada, but you can't move a team out of Canada. I still think they should expand at least into Quebec City, Winnipeg and Hamilton, and give the city's that once had a team something back.

On another note, a new commissioner for the NHL wouldn't be bad...

Bettman's days are numbered, but then again so is the league.

I am not missing hockey at all to be honest. All the boards I used to post in relating to hockey are just dead. It's going to take me a while to get back into it when it comes back, just like what happened to baseball.

QUOTE (neilpeart_gal @ Dec 6 2004, 09:13 AM)
QUOTE (ChefEllwood @ Dec 3 2004, 06:59 AM)

You can afford to take your kids in SOME markets (Nashville for one). I don't think the Detroits and New Yorks will ever be reasonable again. But I'm thinking you probably mean that Nashville is one of the teams that should be dissolved (I've heard this before) because its making the game too 'watered down.' I guess my argument would be what better way to expose new fans (esp. future players!) to the game than the NHL live? If it is affordable, there is more chances of that happening, thus keeping the game going. Believe it or not, that does make markets like the Nashvilles and Carolinas a viable idea for the NHL.

BTW I challenge anyone to find an NFL market where its affordable to take a family of 4 to a game. Even teams with losing records still have high ticket prices.

Among the franchises I would fold are Washington, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, (yeah, I know it's a hockey town, but the only way fans are going to show up is if there's a better product put on the ice), Carolina, (a sink hole for money ; it was a novelty at first, but the thrill has worn off), Columbus, Florida, (the only ones who go are Canadians wintering in Florida, and the New York Islanders, (horrible attendance figures).

I'd hold off on Nashville for now, but the possibility of the novelty of NHL hockey could wear off there as well. Even if you got rid of the other above-mentioned franchises and kept Nashville, the league would still be better.

Fact of the matter is, put a better product on the ice, and the fans will respond by coming out.

However, the longer this strike stays deadlocked, the greater the damage that will occur for both owners, and the NHLPA. Just look at baseball ; it took years for the fans to come back.

Nashville may eventually fold regardless of having a good or bad product. This strike just may see to that........................ sad.gif

Archived