Who, if anyone, got you started on Rush?

sfuentes

My dad got me hooked on Rush, which is one of the best gifts he's ever given to me! I probably would never have found a band this great if it weren't for him. He recently told me a story about how he got hooked on Rush, by listening to 2112.

Thanks, Dad! trink38.gif

With me it was my older Sister who persuaded me to listen to 2112 after I'd heard and not liked Hemispheres.

I'm not sure what its like anywhere else, but I've never come across anyone who discovered Rush on their own. Everone seems to have been introduced by soemone else.

I suppose its because, here in the UK, the media tends to ignore them.

I bought Hemispheres after seeing all the older kids at school with their Hemispheres Tour shirts on. I thought that looks cool lets see what its all about - good move.

I discovered them on my own.

I picked up the Permanent Waves album and noticed that Spirit of Radio was on it. Having heard SOR previously on the radio, I decided to listen to the LP.

As they say, the rest is history.

I worked my way back through the albums and realised that this was the group who produced the album All The World's a Stage. Back in the late 70's, I had noticed the advert for this album in the music papers and had always admired the drum kit set up.

It is only within the last year that I actually met other people who were RUSH fans!

I went with them to the Birmingham and Manchester shows and we met a few other fans.

I was at my uncles for thankgiving and we went to his car and blasted some music including rush. at this tim i had never heard them and tom sawyer came on and geddy started singing and i said, "holy shit this dude sounds like leprachaun!" but i completely dug it. went to the record store next day bought MP, and that started the whole thing

2.gif

I was sitting in homeroom one morning and the kid that sat infront of me asked me if I had ever heard of the boys. At that time I had heard of them, but never heard them. Needless to say, after he handed me Vapor Trails, I was hooked...

No one I knew was into Rush, I had to find out about them on my own. Before I got into Rush, I was into early Metallica and Iron Maiden, so my big thing at the time was buying music that had either long songs or instrumentals. I remembered hearing Subdivisions and Freewill on the radio, and thought those were pretty interesting songs. A bit of research on the internet led me to find that on Moving Pictures there was an 11 minute song and on Permanent Waves, there was a 7 and 9 minute long song. Perfect thats where I would start.

Everything else fell into place in its own time. Since then, I have turned quite a few people from being unknowing about the band into hardcore fans.

The guy I was dating the semester I took English Lit in college played Rush all the time...I heard "Xanadu" and was intrigued.

My brother is 43 (6 years older than I am) and in the mid 70's when Rush was just starting out, they played in Ohio quite a bit. My brother listened to them and Led Zeppelin a lot. He went to see Rush every time they came around. When I was around 12 years old, Moving Pictures came out, and he brought me to Hara arena to see them. I have seen them 19 more times since then and I haven't missed a tour since then either.

At first I thought Geddy Lee sounded funny, kind of like a girl. It wasn't that I didn't like his voice, but it was different.Then when 2112 came out, I heard it and have been in love with them every since. Before that I heard songs like Fly by Night, Working Man and Closer to the Heart and kind of liked them but 2112 made me a Rush fanatic and they have been my favorite band every since, over 25 years later I still think they rule.

I'm one of the biggest fans of Rush's music in the world. However, I'm not the type of fan that cares about the type of cereal that Geddy eats or the type of shoes Alex wears or what type of conditioner that Neil uses in his hair. I always noticed that they seem to like their private lives to remain private. They are like Musical Gods to me and the less I know about their personal lives the more it helps me keep them a God status.

I know I'm weird and all but oh well.

Thanks Bro!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My cousin who i shared a house with lent me 2112,Hold Your Fire and Power Windows and that was it i was hooked.

10yrs later im still hooked.

2.gif

My dad gave me all his old vinyls when i was ten. he had everything up until Grace under Pressure. I wasnt hooked right away. I remember not liking Hemispheres at all exept for Circumstances. My favorite song was Red Barchetta. My dad sat with me every night teaching me stuff about Rush. Then i started to appreciate them. then i became obsessed. Thanks Dad.

I knew of two people, who liked Rush before I started to listen to them myself: my best friend during my teenage years and my cousin's ex-husband, who used to be a drummer. Thus I at least recognised the name of the band, when I came across a thread about them on a Led Zeppelin forum in September 2003. I had this idea about getting acquainted with progressive rock -that strange genre of music I vaguely recalled from the music mags I used to read back in the 80's- and the particular thread about Rush was inspiration enough to make me google the name of the band and search for more info on them. I spent a week lurking on Counterparts forum, reading about the various albums and songs, and then took the plunge with Hemispheres.

So in other words, internet finally got me into Rush. biggrin.gif

Archived