The Official 2007/08 NHL thread

pt2112

CANUCKS' LINDEN TO ANNOUNCE RETIREMENT WEDNESDAY

Trevor Linden will announce his retirement at a news conference in Vancouver on Wednesday.

Linden hangs up his skates after 18 seasons in the NHL, mostly with the Vancouver Canucks, where he was a fan favourite.

In 1,382 NHL games, the Medicine Hat native scored 375 goals and added 492 assists for 867 points. Linden was a two-time All-Star who also represented Canada at the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano.

After winning back-to-back Memorial Cups with the Medicine Hat Tigers of the WHL, Linden was selected second overall (behind Mike Modano) by the Canucks in the 1988 NHL Entry Draft and was promptly named to the All-Rookie team that season. He became the captain of the Canucks at the age of 21.

In 1994, Linden led his team to the Stanley Cup Final, losing in Game Seven to Mark Messier and the New York Rangers.

But it was a sad day in Vancouver on February 6, 1998 when Linden was traded to the New York Islanders. As a testament to his abilities, the Canucks acquired Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe and a third round pick in return.

After struggling on Long Island, Linden was dealt again the following summer to the Montreal Canadiens for a first round pick. In 107 games over two seasons, Linden scored 25 goals and added 38 assists for 63 points.

After a brief stint with the Washington Capitals, Linden returned to a hero's welcome in Vancouver. Linden spent his final six campaigns with the Canucks.

In 59 games last season, Linden amassed seven goals and five assists in a limited role.

Linden also played a major role in changing the face of hockey off the ice, serving as president of the National Hockey League Players' Association leading up to the work stoppage following the 2003-4 season. When played resumed, many rule changes were introduced to make the game more fan-friendly and a salary cap was instituted.

------------

Classy guy, great ambassador for the league, he will be missed.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (hope70 @ Jun 24 2008, 12:08 PM)
QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Jun 24 2008, 10:51 AM)
Its official, Sundin for Troyer

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/jkr77/2008_the_love_guru_005.jpg

laugh.gif

LOL - hilarious photo!

laugh.gif

Man oh man though... it's gonna be a crazy off season come July 1st. *PILES* of player movement shaping up.

Still astounded at the summer hockey coverage in the Great White North.

We haven't heard peep from the local media save for a small blurb on the Avalanche draft prospects.

The only news we have is about my local beer league team (3-0) that plays Tuesday nights.

I will be looking to this thread for all my information. Thanks Guys!

Go Habs!

QUOTE (theanalogkid @ Jun 24 2008, 03:38 PM)

We haven't heard peep from the local media save for a small blurb on the Avalanche draft prospects.
The only news we have is about my local beer league team (3-0) that plays Tuesday nights.

Go Habs!

You did know the Habs picked up Alex Tanguay from the Flames eh? Should prove to be a great move on their part - I think the Habs system will really bring out the best in hos offensive skills.

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Jun 24 2008, 09:51 AM)
Its official, Sundin for Troyer

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/jkr77/2008_the_love_guru_005.jpg

Troyer is apparently a pretty good stick handler.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Jun 24 2008, 01:11 PM)
QUOTE (theanalogkid @ Jun 24 2008, 03:38 PM)

Go Habs!

You did know the Habs picked up Alex Tanguay from the Flames eh? Should prove to be a great move on their part - I think the Habs system will really bring out the best in hos offensive skills.

I did know that, but I cannot remember how I heard about it. Perhaps online.

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Jun 10 2008, 08:21 PM)
CANUCKS' LINDEN TO ANNOUNCE RETIREMENT WEDNESDAY

Trevor Linden will announce his retirement at a news conference in Vancouver on Wednesday.

Linden hangs up his skates after 18 seasons in the NHL, mostly with the Vancouver Canucks, where he was a fan favourite.

In 1,382 NHL games, the Medicine Hat native scored 375 goals and added 492 assists for 867 points. Linden was a two-time All-Star who also represented Canada at the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano.

After winning back-to-back Memorial Cups with the Medicine Hat Tigers of the WHL, Linden was selected second overall (behind Mike Modano) by the Canucks in the 1988 NHL Entry Draft and was promptly named to the All-Rookie team that season. He became the captain of the Canucks at the age of 21.

In 1994, Linden led his team to the Stanley Cup Final, losing in Game Seven to Mark Messier and the New York Rangers.

But it was a sad day in Vancouver on February 6, 1998 when Linden was traded to the New York Islanders. As a testament to his abilities, the Canucks acquired Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe and a third round pick in return.

After struggling on Long Island, Linden was dealt again the following summer to the Montreal Canadiens for a first round pick. In 107 games over two seasons, Linden scored 25 goals and added 38 assists for 63 points.

After a brief stint with the Washington Capitals, Linden returned to a hero's welcome in Vancouver. Linden spent his final six campaigns with the Canucks.

In 59 games last season, Linden amassed seven goals and five assists in a limited role.

Linden also played a major role in changing the face of hockey off the ice, serving as president of the National Hockey League Players' Association leading up to the work stoppage following the 2003-4 season. When played resumed, many rule changes were introduced to make the game more fan-friendly and a salary cap was instituted.

------------

Classy guy, great ambassador for the league, he will be missed.

He wasn't a great player, but a pretty good one. He came damn close to having his name engraved on the Cup.

I'm sure he'll be workin' the front office in no time.

Archived